Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m on S01E08 and I’m really enjoying this return to the ‘story contained in one episode’ format again. I’m also enjoying the snappy dialogue - it’s tongue-in-cheek without being overtly camp, just feels more natural, like more TNG and less TOS!

There’s also a bit of depth to it, but it doesn’t overwhelm anyone who’s new to the franchise. It’s just not as heavy going as STD and STP were, which makes for a refreshing contrast.

Bit nervous about these changes I’ve been hearing about for Season 2 though, but hopeful at the same time they’re not going to do anything too drastic! 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wait till you watch episode 9 of Season 1. You might want to strap in for that on. It's an excellent episode with similarities to other franchises in it and not what you would expect either. I recently re watched it as I did all of Season 1.

Episode 10 is an excellent episode too and even much better if you have seen all of TOS not that you need to see all of TOS for it but Season Episode 15. Watching them both in Parallel is cool too.

However if you have never seen that TOS episode I would say watch it first before episode 10 of SNW and you will understand episode 10s of SNW significants much better then. Then you can watch them both in Parallel another time:)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Season 2 episode 3 appears to have leaked in some regions on Amazon Prime, be wary of spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Ms

Mine either at least not on the usual platform anyway :(

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've seen a comment that it only appears for those who signed up to Paramount+ via Amazon Prime or some combination of them.

😂 immediately tried the trial on amazon.de and no joy, so cancelled!

Ms

I see why this episode might have been leaked early now if it was. Its probably the weakest SNW episode yet and certainly looks like it was one of the cheapest to make.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ms

I would love to see on episode in SNWs where a ship has gone missing or damaged in a nebula or under attack and the Enterprise has to come and save it. We have had none of that yet.

Just watching the TNG season 7 episode 3 "Interface" again. The one where Geordie is controlling the probe searching the ship in a planets atmosphere. It's an excellent episode of TNG. SNW needs more of this not quite the same but searching or helping out other ships etc.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I hear the Refit NX-01 Enterprise might be making an appearance in Steangd New Worlds.

No idea when it is or which episode but prefer not too anyway.

How cool do it will then be a part of Trek Canon for sure..

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That would be cool, but I think it's already part of canon as it appeared in Picard Season 3 in the ship museum, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Could be the opening of the museum with the first ship going in being the NX-01 Refit

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A horrible looking ship. Ruined the nice look of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I don't say I hate the refit but I too liked the original. Had a utilitarian, Defiant feel to it.

Ms

I have to disagree except for the two deflectors which made no sense.

It was the perfect evolution to it to show how Starfleet finally got to the NCC-1701 Enterprise shape.

Maybe but this will make it more real. Maybe it's still even flying or a few of its sisters are still flying and in operation maybe NX-04 or NX-08 for all we know.

Yes it could be that either.

I also seen something about Pike but no idea if it's true or not. Just going to watch the series and see. Might turn off the notifications from You-Tube about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The refit obviously wanted to split the difference between the nx01 and the TOS Constitution. I'm not sure it worked, and I definitely prefer the original version - but the refit has its charms too.

NX-Refit In Strange New Worlds? #Shorts

Was suppose to be in episode 1, according to the above. But they didn't have sets for the insides.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

the theme tune is so blahhh, uses all parts of the orchestra to appear like a theme tune without having anything interesting in it apart from the original bit at the end.

• Advertisement

Are you talking about the SNW theme? Because I love that theme, married with the shots of Enterprise warming up, Captain Pike reciting the iconic introduction and the Voyager esqe fly around, I get chills and I never skip it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I quite like the SNW theme: it's not great but it's good. We've yet to truly have a theme tune on a par with TNG or DS9 - but I think those kind of grandiose orchestral themes are a bit passé? Pike's narration is a little chef's kiss on the show's modern embrace of the Old Ways.

Remember the Orion in season 1 with the Irish accent, the one played by Michael Hough, who's family run a pub in Offaly. Well this post seems to cryptically suggest he's coming back. (Toronto is where they film)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

He was good in that role. Like to see him back.

All Eyes On Rafah

I might have been over reading the post I'm afraid. Deep Pike Cut is an actual landmark in Toronto so might not have anything to do with Strange New Worlds, just a coincidence.

Ms

So of the upcoming episodes I think either episode 6 this week or episode 7 next week which is directed by Jonathan Frakes by the way could be the crossover episode and it looks like episode 9 is the singing episode. Yes there is a singing episode this season like it or not. Could be good could be terrible.

By the way I have all the titles for the last few episodes if ye would like me to post them here but I can not hide them behind a spoiler.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Halfway point of the season and I've enjoyed it; without the surprise of season 1 being good, this follow up has instead been more like a comfortable piece of TV furniture; perhaps only one stellar episode but overall a reliable, entertaining show that absolutely nails the Trek feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Liking the new Google Bard - not sure about the guest stars tho

https://g.co/bard/share/6a2d2c504fae

Post edited by fritzelly on

Advertisement