Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭zv2

Wasn't it Clinton who said 'All wars are caused by gangs of rabid, drug-addicted Smurfs running out of the jungles of Botswana with their arses blackened with shoe polish'?

Or have I confused my sources?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

ive to re-evaluate my opinion of old papa smurf after reading that...always thought he was harmless

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I know we won't know, we can only guess.

Was the blue spray or dye to represent a supporter of Ukraine?

Probably looks that way. There's an antiseptic spray known to livestock farmers as alamycin with a blue marker. It looks exactly like that.

In that part of the world they probably use it on Russians for medical use avoiding sanctions. The tormentors probably just had it to hand and used it on her to make their point of dehumanising.

The Russians call the Ukrainians, cattle so there could be that part too. Even though she's Russian.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Russia must realise we aint going to fall for their sh1t right?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Well that certainly has to be a redline for NATO, if russia blows up that plant it will really escalating things….seems inevitable at this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

Men are almost invariably the perpetrators in war and the cause of it, women almost always innocent victims, so I think Clinton is right. Male violence is the root problem.

As for the Daily Mail: the woman's injuries probably offered a "better" photo, so they ran with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Obviously this could age badly, but there has been threats about somehing happening to the nuclear power plant every week for the past 1.5 years. Most of it is just clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

A piece by retired Australian Army major general Mick Ryan.

(Mick Ryan is a strategist and retired Australian Army major general. He served in East Timor, Iraq and Afghanistan, and as a strategist on the United States Joint Chiefs of Staff. He is also a non-resident fellow of the Lowy Institute and at the Washington-based Centre for Strategic and International Studies).

• Advertisement

I guess it is more for Russian consumption than anything else. They may do something small and blame Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I'd agree with that except for one thing: The destruction of the nova kakhovka dam. The western world has been roundly silent on the issue of the largest ecocide event to have occurred in recent history. Even going as far as offering Russia the benefit of the doubt on the issue while they "investigate". As though Russia deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore.

If there's one thing we can be certain of is that Putin takes advantage of grey zones. And so far there hasn't been a red line drawn underneath this issue. If the major NATO powers came out in unison on this issue ie..... "Mismanage or deliberately mess with the Zaporizhzhia power plant and you'll face dire consequences", then I'd be more confident.

Unfortunately they haven't barring a few US senators. I really hope I'm wrong. I really do. But I'm legitimately concerned on this one. Russia doesn't give a **** how much damage they cause or how many lives they take as they play their scorched earth tactics. Not even of their own country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If there's a nuclear threat, I would be much more confident that it's America that will be sounding the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't see the benefit for Russia of doing this in terms of advancing their interests in Ukraine. It's been forecast several times that radioactive fallout would affect Russian soldiers and civilians just as much as it would Ukraine's, if not worse.

The only way I see Russia making this happen is if they know they're about to face a military rout and they blow the NPP as a way of salting the earth and metaphorically spitting on the floor before making a hasty retreat.

Even at that, propaganda about would be for an internal audience only. Every possible major international partner knows it would be Russia's doing. China may not mind doing business with evil, but it probably minds doing business with insane evil because insane evil is hard to predict and will happily cut off its nose to spite its face.

That's not to mention that back channel communications do happen. Only recently we heard that report about the CIA calling Moscow to reassure them that they had nothing to do with setting up the apparent rebellion staged by Wagner soldiers. That's not to mention that back channel deals happen on things like the grain and POWs. The sides do talk, and the USA will almost certainly have outlined to Russia what happens next if they blow the plant. We can remember back to what I'll call the 'Night of NATO' when NATO countries apparently conducted a huge series of coordinated aerial exercises across Europe. It was a big flex to Russia and a reminder of what's on hand to blow their Black Sea fleet out of the water if they try to get all WMD with it.

If Putin were to OK this, I think it would make pretty much of every aspect of his own life that much worse. The price on his head would increase tenfold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I know Russia talks a lot of crap but just wondering if this is half true is it why there has not been another round of mobilisation in a good while?

Everyone knows Russia blew that dam, they're just not willing to get into a direct confrontation over it. The thing about blowing that dam is that the consequences of doing so are pretty much contained within Ukraine. The action was heinous and the consequences were terrible, but not a world ender. Until Putin threatens to do something that would spell disaster for the world or a large portion of it, I don't think direct confrontation happens. Blowing the NPP would be on the edge of this hypothetical collection of events, as it would likely spread a huge amount of fallout across a huge area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

I think your answer is in the first three words of that article...

Dmitry Medvedev claims....

• Advertisement

One massive single explosion suggests that is a fuel dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Sending 10's of thousands of soldiers to their deaths hasn't helped Russia, nor has permanently losing their biggest energy customers, or having 10's of billions of their assets frozen, nor being militarily humiliated on the global stage. This is a regime that has had people very deliberately poisoned with Russian nerve agent.

I would not be surprised to see an incident at the reactor at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭macraignil

Another village(Pryiutne) reported by the Institute for the study of war to be liberated by Ukrainian forces in the south of their country:

• Advertisement

None of these things threaten the world at large (or at the least, a geographical area much larger than Ukraine) in the way that blowing the NPP would, evil and reckless as these things you mention are. Putin knows this, I think, and I think he knows that he will force NATO to respond directly if Russian forces try this.

I don't remember who said it - probably Michael Clarke - that if it ever comes to a nuclear exchange, the US has basically said to Putin that they won't so much target Russia as target Putin himself. Putin, with his extreme paranoia, does not strike me as the kind of man who's ready to die, and he will know that if that NPP gets blown, whatever plans the U.S. have in place to take him out will go into action. At the point he orders the blowing of the NPP, he's becomes such an imminent threat to general world stability, that he will need to be neutralised, consequences be damned. This is why I think he wouldn't give that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

China is either neutral/lawful evil on the D&D scale, while Russia is chaotic evil alignment 😆

Russian position continues to weaken in the high ground near to Klishchiivka, just a small sliver of it is held by them now. My guess is they will abandon it soon.

It's been two month of Ukraine attempting to push the Russians back from the flanks here. It's been a huge grind and it's not clear to me what is being achieved here. I assume it's an attempt to keep the Russian paratroopers fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Some interesting reading in this piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement

Mad footage of the explosion in Donetsk last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ukraine have certainly been superior when it comes to attacking supply hubs and logistics during this invasion. The Russian's won't run out of shells but their ability to get them to the front and use them has been greatly hampered at times.

Talk that a lack of shells is biting again with Russian commentators citing it as the reason for why will likely have to pull back out of Kilschiivka.

Storing ammunition in a residential area. Real classy move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

Prigozhin is gone. Payments stopped coming in. Useful idiots left unpaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

The reason that there has not been another round of mobilizations announced is because the last round never officially ended, its still going on. And recently has been stepped up with Putin signing into law a new declaration that all males will in future be contacted by E-mail, and if its not responded to, within 10 days a 2nd will be sent, and after that last one, you are considered to have been informed. Failure to register after that will put you on a list, which basically makes you an illegal, with no rights...no access to state entitlement's...Hospital treatment, renewing driver license's, passport, bank transactions etc. and be deemed to have broken the law, and are subject to immediate arrest But most important, you cannot leave the Country. And this declaration applies to all Russians, even those living abroad. He's actually mobilized again, but with out notifying the public. Maybe because he's becoming increasingly worried about a backlash? And Mr Prigozhin's recent little escapade only served to further frighten the living daylights out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

Was watching that and thinking "meh...not so big".

Then the boom just got boomier....

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭IdHidden

Article in todays FT confirming that Ukraine’s Patriots have taken down Kinzhals

“Experts had long suspected the Patriot was capable of shooting down a Kinzhal, but it took the Ukrainian military to demonstrate it. They have since intercepted more than a dozen.”

It is behind a pay wall but here is the link

“Military briefing: Ukraine provides ideal ‘testing ground’ for western weaponry”

https://on.ft.com/3pBmLjI

Ahhh thank you for the update. I didn't realise all of that was happening. Just on way back from Bulgaria definitely notice a lot less people around as I presume it's the Russians not here on holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Worth noting which country is acting as the middleman in that particular operation - the Swiss aren't doing this on their own.

In fact, I'd be inclined to give the Swiss the benefit of some doubt, as they have a point: just if London was happy to buy the gold in the first place, then the Kremlin-enriching part of the transaction is over and done with. There's no sense in keeping already-sold gold out of circulation, as that'll only raise the price of the next consignment put up for sale in London or some other UK dominion.

My Telegram timeline seems to be stuffed with this type of thing in the last week. S-8 unguided rocket pods being mounted on some sort of vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And I'd like to think I'd do similar but when thinking about it dispassionately, it's a poor deal. Frame it the other way (or better yet, ask your child's mother if you're still together), in the awful scenario of having to choose between being raped or having their husband blown to pieces (or even "just" captured, tortured and castrated), which option would most (and particularly strong) women take?

Your notion that feminists are strong women is deeply misguided. It would have been true during my formative years (late 90's / early 2000's) but not for long after sadly. Modern feminism presents women as agentless victims who bear no responsibility for their own actions or choices. The suffragettes would have despised them.

You haven't read much history. Countries lead by Queens are historically more likely to go to war than countries lead by Kings.

I've been devouring this over the last two nights (just the last episode to go tonight). It's utterly brilliant film-making. It really shows you where Russian nihilism has come from over the past century and why there's so few Russians still prepared to stand up to the criminals running their country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And just for those reading the thread not up to date on their tanks, the T54/55 was first introduced in 1948.

Assuming these tanks aren't simply being transported for manoeuvres or training - that's kinda pathetic. At best you'd wanna think they'll simply sit on frontlines where the Russians know there's no Ukrainian armour in the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Has anyone seen updated satellite images from Russian armour storage facilities recently?

I remember a big change in Siberian storage facilities last year and they emptied the one in Crimea a few months ago moving them to the frontline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

Women in rare positions of power in male dominated societies often showed aggression to compensate for perceived images of weakness. Hence even in modern times people like Thatcher etc. In more equal societies that trend has largely disappeared.

All evidence and studies show that men have a much greater propensity to violence. Hence almost all murders are committed by men, almost all violent criminals are men. Despots, serial killers,mass shooters - almost always men.

You seem to have a weird anti modern woman streak (not getting any action?), but claiming that gender/sex has no link to violence is an argument you've lost before you even start.

And Putin shows classic toxic male treats: a sense of entitlement and bitter resentment over status, a desire to exact revenge on a former underling that now wants to go its own way. Delusions of grandeur, lack of empathy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,219 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe that’s what Nigel Farage is tied up in lol

Ah yes, those poor warmongers were agentless victims of the patriarchy...

Like most modern feminists, you go straight to personal attacks when your argument is shown to be weak.

Putin isn't an evil totalitarian because of toxic masculinity. He's an evil dictator because he's an evil prick who happened to be in the right place at the right time. There's a valid argument that a woman wouldn't have been able to ascend to the same position because the Russia he came to power in was (and still is) a wildly chauvinistic society. That isn't however a valid argument that a female version of Putin in the same position wouldn't have behaved any differently than he did because women don't have the capacity to have a sense of entitlement, bitter resentment, a desire for revenge, delusions of grandeur or a lack of empathy. Hell, 15 minutes scrolling through Instagram would disabuse the most naïve individual that women certainly show those traits too.

Anyway, we're dragging this thread way off-topic so let's put a pin in it. We're clearly not going to agree on the subject: I believe men and women are equal, you clearly see men as an inferior gender whose inner nature drives them to behave like beasts that women need protecting from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That may be, but leaving aside the likely much smaller sample size... there's also the not-unreasonable suggestion many of those female leaders rose to power within an existing, deeply patriarchal structure; arguably leading to over-compensation from said leader, lest they be seen as weak and unsuitable for the role of Queen/PM/whatever. Anointed under god n' all that, but rare enough there wasn't a resting suspicion a woman wasn't up to the job of running a country - usually by those most likely to covet the role. It's often suggested Maggie Thatcher had elocution lessons to make her sound less feminine, by way of modern and potentially apocryphal example.

• Advertisement

Actually discussed this with my partner last night, we would both (hopfully*) go and fight to protect our daughter and grand daughters, but if one of us had to stay behind we both concluded it would be her, (bookshelves overflowing with my books on war/conflict and military strategy might have had a bearing on that decision).

You obviously haven't met many feminists, but you have been taken in by a lot of faschist/far right/misogynistic bullsh*t, there are 4 feminists in my household, my partner, our daughter and her daughters, (5 if you believe men can be feminists and include me). Those women taught me what feminism is really about, and that is: equity leading to equality. If you think otherwise you have been sadly missled.

*I understand nobody really knows what they would do in such a situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement