Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

More crashes then the m50 on a wet Wednesday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And it seemed to be dry day at the finish... and we had crashed and slips like this.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I only tuned in for the final 6km. Excellent bang for my buck if the comments on today's stage are anything to go by!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Robbie McEwan was warning about it being a possibility hours ago, different type of tarmac, tyres a bit less grippy by then, it had rained at some point too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Nice to see Caleb Ewan back competing at the top end.

Good analysis after the race by Adam Blythe showing how much he had to make up on Philipsen without any slip stream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Ewen was considerably more boxed it, though he did luck-out a little with it opening up. And Bauhaus started behind Cav, got up to his wheel and as Cav eased off a little (when he couldn't get across to Philipsen's wheel) Bauhaus had to back off noticeably, but got back up to speed far more quickly than Cavendish.

I'd be surprised if Kristoff's lead-out man isn't penalised. Sits up, looks around, drifts off to the right and takes the Cofidis rider into the barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I thought that too - but did the other Cofidis rider clip him as he was squeezing past? Probably should have been able to avoid it, but looked a bit less incriminating when I watched it back a few times. Or maybe I'm being too nice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I thought he chopped his wheel, admittedly he was drifting into the barriers so I think he's more, if not totally, at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

MvdP relegated and fined for obstructing Biniam Girmay in the sprint.

Bit mad that your leadout can block another sprinter and get a bit of a slap of the wrist, but it’d also be hard to punish Philipsen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Just thinking the same. The deviation from MVDP cleared the path for himself and Phillipsen to come from miles back, compared to the ducking and diving that wan and Bauhaus had to do, as well as taking Grmay & a Bora rider out of it altogether.

• Advertisement

Bauhaus gave Girmay a "virtual" nudge too - went to take road position from Girmay, even made a shoulder movement, Girmay blinked first and gave Bauhaus the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

I think Girmay has been elbowed and shouldered around like a Junior B bogballer both yesterday and today; lucky to be upright at all. Was watching him both days. But I'm thinking he might still be good for a tilt at a stage from a more fractured/reduced group that won't depend so much on lead out trains etc. To see him bouncing around in the final kms with team mates swinging behind him didn't look good- where's all 55kg of Pozzovivo when you need him 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Looking forward to tomorrow. Powless will be in the break trying to get over the HC climb first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Tomorrow’s stage is mad one. I don’t get it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 38,171 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stage 5

This is the first serious test of this tour. No doubt there'll be GC battles in this one.

It's hard to know exactly how things will play out in this one. Will UAE continue to set an infernal pace? Will it be a case of them and Jumbo sending a rider/riders up the road in the break?

Whether the break is let away or not there will be damage done in the final climb which has 7.8km at 8.4% and 4.8km averaging 10.4% going up over 11% in places.

I think the break is let away in this one, this stage is too difficult for a team to keep the pace up all the way.

I think Vingegaard is in the best position on this stage with Adam Yates being protected along with Pog. I think everyone gets dropped from the GC group besides the two favourites. Vingegaard has shown how cool and calm he is sitting on Pog's wheel and I think he'll attack early on the last climb in this one, as much to test Pog's fitness as make time this early on.

Anyway I think the break is let go in this stage and I'm hoping my vision comes true. I see Thibaut in the break and I see him winning the stage and putting the yellow jersey on for a couple of days. It's the dream for him and I'd guess for most of us too.

So my pick for the win is Thibaut Pinot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Very interesting to see who can keep up. Probably gonna tell us a lot about who is gonna be 3 to 5 at this tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Things you didn't think you'd hear - Lantern Rouge firmly in the what the feck were bora thinking not bring Sam camp! Even bemoaning Bora not having Ryan Mullen to do the job of bringing DvP up!

Not according to the BBC....

It’ll be like that every sprint day. Hatch said “we’re on the cusp of history” with 20km to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Millar was shocking on the ITV coverage. No comment on the actual front of the race, just Cav watch.

The sprint stage to Bordeaux is going to be absolute penance, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Cavendish loses Luis Leon Sanchez through injury who does a lot of the donkey work keeping him in position until the last 2k.

And Guarnieri from Lotto Dstny is also out with a broken collarbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I'd like to see you get top 5 in a tour de france sprint.

at this point in his career with the lead out he had he definitely needs the cards to fall right and a bit of luck.

shame G isn't there to give him a hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Rough day yesterday for Pidcock😀.

Guessing heart monitor was put on while on bus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Buíochas ke Dia for TG4 😀

or if I am casting GCN I always have Ambient Sound selected!

Seven Worlds will Collide

shame G isn't there to give him a hand :)

That was probably illegal at the Giro, falling under the regs around collusion. The UCI commissaires at the Tour appear to be sticking strictly to the rule book across a variety of areas this year so a repeat of "helping a brother out" is likely to get both riders sanctioned.

There is ZERO chance of them taking a stage win off Cavendish for “collusion”.

(Nor should there be IMO)

In fact I’d say he could deviate, elbow, do whatever he wants if it meant he got the record.

Kerrissst. GCN have set the studio up like a team bus briefing

Saw that yesterday. The “cube” tech is pretty weird to me. It took me a while to figure out it was all CGI too

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Yesterday's stage will be forgiven/forgotten if there's a good battle for the breakaway today. Surely they won't just ride off easily?

• Advertisement

Just before they leave Pau, here's a photo from there in 1989

Advertisement