Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Drive down from Millau to the Odysseum in Montpellier for a bit of shopping yesterday. Getting out of Montpellier was a bit stressful, police had closed so many roads so the sat nav didn't know what to do with itself. Counted numerous riot police vans heading into the city centre. Thankfully no real incidents of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

i think i was in the normandie one years ago. I usually go to the wine and beer supermarket. It tends to be quiet. The issue i have is the ferry was an hour late last time, so we had less time. Luckily we knew what we wanted. If you were a first timer it would be more nerve racking. If only theyd change the ferry times a bit, roscoff was perfect.

the supermarkets are great but the boxes arent readily available and the sailing times dont allow for a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I know someone who ordered and paid online for the wine supermarket and just collected on the day - it’s certainly an option if time is tight and I’d imagine Normandie wines would probably do something similar-would save a lot of time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That was quite a bumpy crossing during the night. My Fitbit seemed to think I was awake until 3.30am 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Advertisement

No I'm one of those weirdos who love a rough crossing 🫣

Interesting to see the difference in Des Menhirs this year. Maybe it's because we're here a week earlier than last year but there are an awful lot more Irish people here and very few French, Dutch, Belgians. That may change as the week progresses though and we enter French holiday season.

The campsite bar area has been upgraded significantly, they've built a stage for entertainment and they also have a pizza bar now added and you can also get waffles, crepes etc at the bar.

For those who like GAA, they were showing the football yesterday!

For those of you who like craft beer, they now have Lagunitas on tap. I'm in heaven. 😁

I'm wondering if more Irish people are here this year because Eurocamp seem to have reduced the amount of sites they have pitches on this year? Certainly they didn't seem to have as wide a selection this year as pre-Covid 🤔

Anyway, can't complain, it's a lovely spot and the kids are having a ball.

Post edited by Heroditas on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Please do! Heading over Wednesday week.

Picked up 36 bottles from them in 2019, just used Vivino app at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

thanks.. how do i get onto the lower deck! normal put on the upper..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

How was Ile de Re? We are heading there shortly for a couple of weeks. And then Domaine des Ormes for a few nights

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Does the bar in Le Littoral show GAA matches does anyone know?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Ditto for La Reserve

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not being smart or anything but if you're stuck, you could stream on a tablet or laptop and tether to your mobile, particularly if you're with Vodafone. I bought a pre-loaded Orange SIM with 30GB of data but subsequently found that Vodafone allow me 30GB roaming a month.

I know it's not the same but it's a fallback option. They showed the GAA in Canac last week but I reckon more French people will be here from this weekend onwards and it might be more unlikely to be shown. Depends on the campsite. La Garangeoire for example will be nailed on to show the GAA because it's wall to wall Trabolgan 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Streaming on a phone/tablet is always an option, but I quite like the 'excuse' of going to the bar for a few hours to watch the games 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Les Charmettes had it last year but Bonne Anse Plage didn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Ah yea all else fails I'll get it on phone or tablet. Like above though be nice to watch in a bar 🍺😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5 drilbit

We were there for 12 nights just home at wkd. We didn't see GAA on but maybe there was no matches to be shown on our dates. A lot of Irish there so hopefully they can. You should reach out to them on Instagram or email. We found them very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Short answer It does. They use GAAgo on laptop but it’s on the tv . It’s mostly fine, does sometimes skip a beat.

Also, they can show the game inside and outside but they seem to start out putting it on inside unless it gets busy (and if there’s some other sporting event on).

The less experienced staff don’t seem to realise they can show the GAA games on outside tv, I got caught out getting up early for a seat inside because a lesser experienced staff member said it can only be shown inside. I prefer a outside!

There’s one more experienced staff member woman (seen her here a few times over the years) who knows what to do. So my suggestion is to ask if they are showing on both screens inside and out before you pick where to sit cause it fills up pretty fast near throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 drilbit

Ile De Re was great. We love the cycling. Was very busy there we didn't have a campsite booked and had to try 4 before we found one. My wife got 2 bad mossie bites so we left after 3 nights ended up going to Doc. We went onto la Tranche sur mer and up to le litterol.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

can stretch it anymore... might just arrive very late to departure

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭suilegorma

Thanks for this! Just checked and we would save 100. Unlikely we would be able to use the credit as we are tied to dates but we could get club class maybe with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Was at a winery last week and a Dublin reg suv must have loaded €1000+ worth of the finest wine into the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Great stuff! The dates shouldn’t matter as long as you make the actual booking itself within the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Folks,

Heading there on Saturday and need to arrange a tow hitch bike rack. Looks like the 4 bed one in Halfords will do the trick. 2 adults, 2 kids.

Just wondering about car length, are they strict on the boat or what's the story? Car is 4.4m and looks like rack is 0.9m

Any other advice for a newbie, have nothing ready, people are asking me do I have a cooler of meat ready??? WTF??

Any tips or advice appreciated.

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I never told IF about my 4-bike towbar rack, they just directed me onto the boat without a second look. This was a few years ago though the last time we used it.

Not sure about cooler of meat comments - I know some people like to take a couple of frozen meals with them so they have something to eat when they arrive (and others like to take loads of Denny sausages etc). I never saw the point, going to the French hypermarché for a big shop is one of the one of the things I enjoy about going to France. The only food we bring with us is teabags, because you just can't get decent tea there (though I tend to mostly drink coffee in France, the mrs. likes her cuppa); and some snacks for the ferry of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The cooler of meat is because meat in France is generally pretty expensive, so lots of people bring their meat for holidays with them. Personally I think life is too short for that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As above, IF won't comment on the rear bike rack. However, if it is not "tiltable" then have your "boat bag" in the car rather than the boot because you don't want to be trying to access the boot when you board and have to take the bikes off, etc. Also, make sure your reg is visible (I had three bikes on the back of a car one year and whilst I eventually got a reg plate for my own satisfaction really, I had used cardboard up to then).

I'm not sure what the cooler of meat is about. Maybe they are telling you to bring meat (I really don't know why because if you want to spend a few weeks eating Irish food then stay in Ireland!) or else they are implying that because the food on the ferry is a rip off to bring your own. We came back from France last week but on our way over, there were no pastries (croissants, etc.) available at breakfast time and we were being told "another 5 minutes" then "another 10 minutes" and eventually "20 minutes". We were eventually given a couple of stale croissants (at something like €3.50 each!). Next year, I'll bring a load of stuff onto the ferry to avoid the rip off.

Advertisement