Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Pride 2023!

Options
  • 06-06-2023 7:21pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a thread to wish you all on here a very Happy Pride month 2023. 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Anyone here planning on going to any Pride-related events this month? Will you be taking part in the Pride parades in Dublin or around the country over the Summer?

2023 also marks 30 years since decriminalisation of gay sex in Ireland - and 50 years since the American Association of Psychiatrists removed homosexuality from its list of mental disorders.

The past couple of years in Ireland have seen a really concerning rise in homophobic attacks - including the barbaric hate crime murders of two gay men in Sligo last year and the serious assault on a 15 year old schoolboy in Navan last month - mean that Pride is more relevant today than ever. Homophobic hatred has no place in a civilised society. We must never become complacent.

Pride is also celebrated to not just to mark how far LGBT rights have advanced here - but also in solidarity with LGBT people oppressed around the world in benighted regimes such as Uganda, Iran and Russia.

Happy Pride! 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pride is needed more than ever right now in Ireland when we see transphobic and homophobic hate crimes rising, when we see the rising growth of transphobia clearly allied to extremist far right movements both internationally in UK and US and here at home in Ireland, when we see disgusting attacks on libraries and librarians in this country for stocking lgbt books, when we see drag queen shows all over Ireland being protested and threatened with violence.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Certainly things have become more polarised, and people are taking "sides" which is ridiculous. I think populist politicians, covid fallout, unregulated social media ... are fuel to this fire. I think society has become more uncaring, selfish, inward, withdrawn and violent.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I really love Pride ❤️

Still very much needed and, personally speaking, a lot of fun 🤭

Pride was so great yesterday. Huge huge crowds. I was in a group near the back. The front of the march left about 2 and a half hours before the back of it. So great to see lots of friendly, joyful happy people around.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

The Pride parade day was fantastic, so colourful and sunny! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

“More than ever now” ?

Really? We are at a low-point in Irish history for the rights of Lesbian, Gay, bisexual, trans+ people?

And the UK and the US too as they also get a mention. That’s a remarkable take on history and current affairs.

Where there are national and international backslashes looking to reverse any gains in LGBT rights yes.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'm curious to see how LGBT/BLM is gong to reconciliate its support to the terroristic attacks in Israel with its own anti-violence and tolerant message

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I'm sure you are Mic, I'm sure you are.

Naturally as news of the conflict broke you're first - totally natural - reaction was "ZOMG I need to know what d'internet gheys think about this"

Now, g'way with your off topic trolling ѕhite - you're on your last warning in this forum (not joking)

The Israel-Hamas conflict can be discussed in the CA forum

OK anywhoo I'm closing this now since Pride season for 2023 is largely done now and we're getting off topic.

Stay fabulous everyone 😁

Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement