Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 5) Lucan (30th June @2:30pm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Have to say that I loved the day, even with a pretty poor score. Playing off 4 was always going to be tough. I think I was 9 over for the front and 2 over for the back. 1 under for the 3 new holes, which I really like, when they mature with some tree planting, they will bed in nicely.

Thought the conditions on the day were quite tough, wasn't expecting to see a high score, so well done Slave, I love the idea of you "Moneyballing" it around the course. A novel approach, I've never seen before. You really need your wedges firing for it to work.

Its the type of course that I really struggle on, coming from most of my golf on a links, it all looks so tight that i get very defensive. Must be why my game turned around after 10, as it does open a little more. Greens were spectacular, tour standard.

A big thanks to Pat the gm for getting us out at late notice and at a great rate too. Food and service was top notch too.

A special mention to our Captain who had a drive and 50 degree wedge into the 12th Par 5. Missed his eagle though (if only he could putt 😂)

See you in Glasson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Raging I missed it lads. Have played the course a good few times and always enjoyed it. It’s a few years now since I was there so haven’t enjoyed the new holes yet.

the old 4th, short par 3 I guess was a bit gimmicky and then if memory serves you had to come back down the hill and Kris cross with the 5th tee so as I’m not a fan of Kris crossing holes, will be good for the course if that’s gone IMO.

so your 5th hole was the old 6th? Dog leg right down hill to the green? Never saw an issue with that hole really, class little par 4.

I loved the old 7th over the road, will miss that hole next time I play there.

the only hole (well shot really) that i never liked on the course and think that it quite frankly was nothing short of stupid, was the 8th tee shot facing into a hill. Has that changed? Would hope it did. What’s that hole now, 6th?

I take it the new holes are out where there was a practice area beyond the (old)14th hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Old 6th is gone. Par 5 up the hill now the 4th and then you walk all the way to the old 8th, now the 5th hole.

Ah 6th will be missed.

any change to the tee box at all on the old 8th/new 5th?

even if the tee box was raised 6foot or so from where it was would make a big improvement

actually why did they get rid of 6th? Was it just to fit the new holes in? Is it still there?

could it be used as the 4th to make par 5 a bit longer? Maybe move tee box up a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks for info - interesting changes (and great post as usual) , I played 2 of the holes closed , the short par 3 was poor , but I do think I would like the hole that had the post behind it.

On the blind hole, again, I like blind holes , even If for me, to get a ball to rise that quick is a challenge. Was there ever a camera on it ?

Anyway , I felt it was obvious there was a tree on the right and on the left and if you went towards right edge you avoid the boundary.

I'm not sure I would like extra time on a round as a result of course changes , also the change of 9 not at the clubhouse (If i was use to it) - would annoy me a bit.

Anyway - the fact the people were so curious to the changes is a testament to the day.

One last thing Benice.... your a good player , is it fair to say you could drop the driver a fair bit on the course. If you had a more accurate 230 club in summer , I can see it being used a fair bit ?

@FixdePitchmark re camera, I think you are mixing it up with Hermitage 14th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭bobster453

Another great day on a really fair course.

Fair play to the Captain..even if i had to sort him for slagging me off online😀👊..and the committee for pulling this gem out of the bag when planned course got a better offer(imo but i could be wrong..no i'm not).

Had the pleasure of playing with ballyk and token56.Two absolute gents who had a lot to put up with my whinging all day.Ballyk is a sweet striker of the ball and really too good for his hc..unfortunately a few early strays made life hard for him

Token56 hits the ball a country mile,again a few strays didnt help him though he won the LD(i was delighted to get there before him and get my name on the sheet and had LD for the 10 seconds it took him to walk from my ball to his😂)

For me the priority was to not lose a 10er to Tiger on doubles or quits..job done.

Played steady front nine..19 points.. then back let me know why jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane and landing badly in your 20s becomes a problem later in life.Limped home in more ways than one for a slightly disappointing 36 points but really enjoyed the game the course and the company.Craic and banter afterwards was brill as always.

Arriving home from work in UK early sat morning of Glasson so may not make it but will wait and see.

Talk soon and stay safe.

No there was a camera at the 8th there for a bit but gone now.

No change to 5th tee.

Was either the old 5th or the 6th that had to go. Some issues with houses left of 6th fw so that was the one that went. Would also have been quite a long and v uphill walk from the 3rd green to the 6th tee box.

Youd want to be extremely accurate to gain a real advantage but yeah, a great fw wood or long iron player may benefit. To be honest, I rarely bother hitting anything but driver. Im not a great deal straighter with the 3wd so my philosophy is if Im going to miss, then miss as far up as possible. Also, as some have mentioned, if you spray the driver badly enough, you could get out on another fairway and into the clear!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I must say, even playing very poorly, I really enjoyed Lucan. It’s a tough but fair course, go oFf line and you will nearly always find your ball. I have a shocking dose of the sh@nk$ at the moment which is gradually getting better and it cost me big time on Saturday. Drove the ball ok but am still very nervous over my second shot as it was liable to go anywhere. Take the 8th hole, drove right into trees, chipped out, shanked back into trees on the right, chipped out and then sank the putt from off the Green!!!

Had a great day with @Alanm and first time playing with @Snackbox20 apologies again for my poor golf and frustration, I have been to the range since and I have found something and was hitting it great so hopefully the start of my comeback. Needs to kick in fast though as I’ve an inter club match Sunday

Fair play for finding the pub in Lucan, lovely spot with great Guinness and very friendly staff.

Well done to our winners on the day, some super golf played, we knew a score would come in and weren’t disappointed.

Many thanks to my host for the night, much appreciated and I will return the favour.

See ya all in Glasson where hopefully things will be a bit better.

Wouldnt say that exactly. Ive never hit a 50dg into the new par 5 as one of you supposedly did last Friday!

Meet cpt. Roadrunner...a man who has redefined newtonian laws...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Our combined drives approx on the 12th

GG 308 yards

Space 315 yards

Bigeasy 325 yards

Roadrunner 350 yards

I hit 5 iron in, ended up 25 yards over tye green.

We did have a big tail wind. Roadrunner was in the 1st cut, had a flier lie,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

He was complaining as we approached the green that he should have hit the 54° 🤯

I can confirm this as we were on the next tee box!!!

I hit my drive over 311 yards - one of the longest I’ve hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Now divide that by your age to get a proper factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Lol, still haven't taken a long drive prize in years 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭bobster453

So big booming long drives not much good if they arent on the fairway i guess.

On my best day probably 260 with a strong wind behind me...but usually on the right fairway😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

💪For the more senior of us @bobster453 .

A great day out with terrible golf played.

Was also playing a match on the day against Golfgraffix where, due to the terrible golf, I was soundly beaten.

Course was in superb condition, as mentioned already so I won't dwell on that.

The removal of the old 4th is a definite gain for the course from a layout and quality perspective.

But the other 2 holes gone from the front 9 do feel like a loss to the course to me. I can see the reasons why, but they were lovely holes that added a bit of variety to the course.

I drove the ball overall terribly on the day, which meant a lot of playing out sideways. Also managed to play the wrong ball on one hole, so was kicking myself while I was down.

Had 11 points standing on the 13th tee. Set myself a target of breaking 20 points for the round. Managed 11 more points through the last 6 holes to finish with 22 and officially my worst round since August 2021.

Made a nice bird on the new par 5, Drive, 5i through the back, chip and a putt. Couldn't convince myself I could hit a 6i 200ish yards, but it would have been the right club (I'm not up to Roadrunners distances)

First time winning the "Most Golf", another one to check off the list of accolades I've accumulated over the years with the society.

Think I might be the first player to have the full suite of prizes with the society:

● Captains

● GOTY

● Win a normal outing

● Lowest Gross

● NTP

● LD

● 2s

● Most Golf

Quite the achievement to complete the set!

And a photo of @charlieIRL on the first tee

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Snackbox20

Dammit, my own fault for introducing that prize 🙄

At least I've got something still to play for

Post edited by spacecoyote on

You forgot to add……….”hitting his tee shot into the trees on the left!!!”

LOL 😁

_

Thanks everyone for contributing to the 5th round of the boards society event at Lucan. Really enjoyed the event, the pints after, and some fun discussions about the course afterwards here. People really seemed to enjoy the course, conditioning in particular and club atmosphere. Lucan in general was just a big hit!

Details of the next event at Glasson in the beautiful Lough Ree area of the country has just been posted. Linking to that here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058304062/boards-golf-society-2023-round-6-glasson-22th-july-11-10am

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭jams100

Sorry for the random question, was that €30 charge the quote you got from Lucan or is there a subsidy from the boards society membership included? That's very good value if only 30 euro!

I'll PM you. (We are known to pull strings to try get the absolutely lowest rates for our members. From a value for money POV for this particular course it literally could not be beaten! I've played TPC sawgrass, Bayhill, st Andrews, Royal portrush, RCD, Portmarnock etc. Lucan's greens are up there with that level of company!)