Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aircoach have announced a new version of their mobile app. This one is not exclusively concerned with tickets and bookings, it will show you the next few buses on a defined route. You can store your favourite stops, then select one and it will show you the next few departures from and to that stop.

Don't worry about inbound or outbound when storing a favourite, it treats each stop as a pair and will flip to the stop across the road when you reverse the journey from inbound to outbound.

The first thing that occurred to me was the question - will the app reflect announced cancellations or simply show me scheduled departures? They haven't announced any cancellations today (I checked FB and Twitter) so I'll keep an eye out tomorrow and report back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

When a friend booked a ticket recently, it was still possible to buy tickets for those services that had been cancelled.

Just because they were not tweeting about missing services, doesn't mean they were running as normal. Still commentary on social media today about long waits at stops and bustimes.org (whilst not ultimate proof in itself) suggests that it was the case too.

The new app finally gives the same prices as the website, unlike the old one which was a flat more expensive rate that was the same as walk up prices. It looks like the web and app systems are now fully integrated.

Oh and props for Aircoach using the hashtag #WellGetYouThere in their latest marketing including for the app that's ballsy considering how many cancellations there have been recently.

No annnounced cancellations by Aircoach yesterday or today. They only run three daytime (09:00-18:00) services an hour on the 700 route Tue-Thu so it will probably be tomorrow before we can tell if a service which is cancelled does or does not appear in the list of departures in the new app.

Post edited by coylemj on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Going by the one of the Facebook groups, Aircoach still have at least one of the ex-Airporter Mercedes mini-coaches around and in Aircoach branding. It's apparently used for private hire and for breakdown coverage between Derry-Belfast.

Also, two Scania Caetano Ievante 3s were also spotted up in Belfast, for use on the Dublin-Belfast Dublin Express route.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭belfast stephen

3 o the 6 Scania Caetano levante 3s arrived in Belfast yesterday Evening all 6 will be painted into Dublin express livery the other 3 will arrive in Northern Ireland once painted staff training will start early July with a Launch in mid July they have 55 seats

• Advertisement

Aircoach have took some adverts out in Dublin Airport. About the first sensible bit of commercial activity I have seen for a while, but not sure how effective it is going to be with the march Dublin Express have already stole on them and the fact Dublin Express have a massive ticket sales office in T1. Too little too late I think.

Today seemed to be a better day as far as they go for Aircoach as from what I have seen in the city today coaches were operating much closer to their advertised frequency than they have done recently around a weekend. Lets see how the next few days are.

The fact that National Express are going to be running Tri Axle 14m coaches with 55 seats, with a table, toilet better placed USB Ports, thicker padded more expensive full leather seats, with curtains vs Aircoach with a similar number of seats on a coach that is 15% shorter, tells you everything you know about the different kind of onboard experience each operator will offer.

I would expect that National Express will do very well on this route.

I still maintain they should have at first run the Derry to Belfast section the same as it always was just under the brand Aircoach and connect with Aircoach services from there to Dublin initially with through tickets. The amount of changes they made to that route has gone down really poorly with locals and it seems a spectacular own goal and has upset the ex Airporter staff, meant Dublin staff have had to be drafted in and also effected the operation as a whole in a negative way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RonnieHo

I have to say, that the service on Aircoach as of late has been appalling. Twice I have waited for buses that have not turned up and then have had to miss the following bus because it's full of pre-booked passengers. They've then told me it's my fault for not pre-booking but why would I pre-book a bus when I don't know if it is going to turn up?

The responses to the most critical reviews are also quite amusing with responses like this to people who complain about about services not turning up, it makes them look like amateurs that don't even know what they are doing.

[quote]We’d love to do what we can to make up for this experience. What would have made the situation better for you? We appreciate any feedback you have to offer.[/quote]

[quote]We would love to hear your suggestions on how we can make this better. How can we prevent a situation like this from happening again?[quote]

[quote]Please feel free to reach out to us to let us know how we can improve our service so that similar situations don't happen in the future.[/quote]

They announced several cancellations today (Monday 19th) and guess what - they're all faithfully listed in the new mobile app. So be warned - it's just a timetable listing.

Cancelled: T1 to Leopardstown: 11:40, 15:25. Leopardstown to Dublin Airport: 10:00, 13:00, 16:45.

https://twitter.com/Aircoach/status/1670473342762078208?s=20

Noticed a review posted there today about a bus being an hour late and Aircoach refusing to refund. In my book if they are delaying services that much or coaches are being cancelled that a passenger is booked on and the passenger does not travel, they should be refunding. No ifs, no buts. They can tell if a passenger travelled or not with a booked ticket and which service they used.

I also note that after positing a positive comment on Facebook today from a customer, a disgruntled customer made a point about the recent unreliability and was told not to 'put a negative spin on a positive post' which probably wasn't the best way to handle it.

They can remove services from the booking system that the app uses - it isn't just a timetable listing, but they haven't been doing it. In fairness the last few days have been rather better than last week so lets hope they are turning a corner.

Dublin Express

It's confirmed that the Belfast route will be launching on 18th July. Further details to follow on 4th July.

Clearly they have seen the dogs dinner that the competition have made of the route and will be going into that market and aiming to take advantage of that. With the vehicles that they have there will be no contest between them and the others.

Aircoach

Still services are being cancelled on Aircoach but they're not posting about them over the last week.

The reviews section of their website is a real good read. If ever you're having a bad day it's worth reading. This is a particular gem.

Honestly sometimes the responses do feel like a parody. Pretty much for every review where someone moans about a bus not turning up or services not being frequent as they should be they keep asking customers what they can do to make things better. I do sometimes wonder if the person responding has very dry sense of humor on some of them.

I see they are also hiring a people resourcing partner in Belfast now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭belfast stephen

Dublin express

the PR starts for the serivce next week aswell

Aircoach

all has gone quiet on the belfast Mercs but i bet now Dublin Express has said when the belfast serivce is starting that the Belfast Mercs Will suddenly appear

The Mercs are not going to save them, the spec of them is rubbish compared the spec of the vehicles that Dublin Express will introduce.

Aircoach need to get a grip commercially, but I've seen nothing to suggest that is happening to anywhere near the required scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭d51984

Aircoach have really gone downhill from the glory setra days, its a real shame to see but they only have themselfs to blame.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Don't think it's that far back they've been going downhill, the Volvo/Joncks were great vehicles but the intake of vehicles since has betrayed the brand standards. Aircoach used to be right at the front of the pack when it came to the onboard environment, now they're languishing somewhere near the back.

I listened to a podcast once where they were interviewing the current MD and she said something like rebranding the company from 'the old radar logo and travel in luxury and all that' to a 'value add operator' and I had to admit I cringed. The luxury part was what distinguished them from other operators, in that they always had a high spec interior on board and were leading that. Now we have quite the reverse where the interior spec is lower and all the competition has gone to something closer to the Aircoach standards of old.

It really is time for a change at Aircoach. They need to get someone commercially savvy in that knows the Irish market. No more internal appointments from within the group.

Dublin Express Belfast to Dublin Timetable - see attached.

Ignore the December dates on the timetable, it's to stop them appearing on the journey planner before Monday.

Aircoach are going to have to address the issue of customers with bags that need to go into the hold, either because of the size of the bag or that the bus is almost full or that the customer isn't fit enough to lug the bag onboard.

The problem as I see it is that if they allow boarding customers to press the button to open the hold, that will lead to all sorts of complications at busy stops where an oportunistic thief could open the door and make off with a bag or two. But what's happenng at the moment (as documented in the comment quoted by Devnull at #742 above) is that at early stops like Stillorgan or UCD, a lot of the drivers couldn't be bothered to get out of their seat and open the hold so a passenger who look reasonably fit will carry his or her bag onboard and occupy two seats. The coach then gets to O'Connell St. where there is a large mob, many of whom have a reservation for this specific service. But there are not enough empty seats for the passengers waitin to board. So the driver then walks down the aisle looking for more seats and giving dirty looks to the passengers who (because of his laziness) have bags which are taking up seats.

Dublin Express to Launch Belfast to Dublin with £1 fare offer.

A couple of obvious digs in there against Aircoach.

• The one about the route being under served is a clear dig at Aircoach cutting the timetable back to service Derry.
    • The one about the coaches being a step up on anything else that has operated on the route is a clear dig at the cheaper vehicles operated by Aircoach at a higher seating density.

The selling tickets at £1 is a predictable commercial trap for Aircoach like I have been hinting at all this time. Will Aircoach now go all in to compete with National Express on a route where they offer an inferior product. And will they further sacrifice the 700 by taking more staff from that service, which ends up gifting even more of that market to Dublin Express too?

It has been confirmed that the Aircoach MD is to leave her position, believe the Operations Manager is going as well.

Post edited by devnull on

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AX636

She's going to Go-Ahead Ireland.

Think it might suit her better than the MD of Aircoach as she's a bus person first and foremost and traditionally hasn't had the commercial responsibility that she has had in Aircoach, so I reckon she could do a good job there.

• Advertisement

I can confirm that Dublin Express are also now operating on a pilot basis in partnership with Irish Rail, a Cork to Dublin Airport product which includes travel on the train from Cork to Dublin and coach travel from Heuston station to Dublin Airport.

Very much a marriage of convivence there, I would suggest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Dublin Express to Belfast is now bookable on their website. First picture I've seen of the new buses for the route with the livery applied, must say it looks pretty nice on the levantes!

Dublin Express

I don't like the original Levante 1 and Levante 2 models much, but the Levante 3 is a huge step forward.

The Aircoach Merc is 12.3m with 53 seats whereas the Levante is 14.3m with 56 seats. Much longer vehicle with only a row of extra seats, which allows for thicker, better padded seats with more leg-room and also very favourable compared with Translink as well.

Everything I have seen so far from Dublin Express has been first class in terms of marketing. They've showed an understanding of the market, their competitors weaknesses and also have worked the press well. They've also got the vehicle choice right and wrapped it in a livery that points out the benefits.

Even subtle things they have changed like dropping the airport symbol in their logo for the Belfast route (in order to distinguish the service doesn't just serve the airport), the attention to detail on their website and the choice of the marketing terms have shown an operator that knows what it's doing.

Aircoach

Last few days ave seen a return to the issue of coaches being online bookings only at stops because of cancelled services on the 700 and high demand that cannot be met by the restricted timetables on the Greystones service.

its mad how the tables have turned on aircoach. Rewind back 5 years and you would find the same 3 posters on this thread upping aircoach and giving out about Dublin coach on almost the exact same few issues and with the same massive passionate posting style. You couldn’t say a bad word about aircoach at the time and at times it even felt like a stealth marketing campaign for aircoach.

So basically you are saying that when an operator gets it wrong people are being negative about them and when they get it right people are positive about them rather than praising them when bad and being negative when good because of some bias.

Not sure that's the bad thing you seem to think it is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What an incredibly silly thing to say!

I have zero brand loyalty to any company. I’ll praise an operator who looks to be doing a good job and criticise them when they look to be failing to deliver.

I’m disappointed to see Aircoach struggle, they were a revelation when they introduced the Cork service, they were a real innovator, but frankly they have been falling behind for years now. Back in 2008 while the Panthers were far from ideal, it was understandable at the time given the economic conditions, but it has been mad that they continued to buy new ones over the past 7 years or so. Just one of many issues they have had.

Personally I hope that a new MD and operations manager can kick them back into shape and get them competitive again.

But this is all a great example of why competition is so important and monopolies are bad. Even once great operators can get lazy and run into issues, but at least with competition another operator like Dublin Express or Citylink comes along and takes advantage of their weakness, which in the end helps make sure us customers continue to get a great experience.

To me it looks like an obsession and a bit overboard as it’s all one way traffic. The last 10 pages are solid pouring over every aircoach action in minute detail and criticising in a very very repetitive manner (how many times has the airporter purchase been rehashed word for word?). Some of it is very warranted but as I said overboard and repetitive.

You could say all this is fair and normal and we are after all on a commuting sub forum except the obsession and biased piece, nothing negative about Dublin express, all glowing (right down to their logo change!) even though they there is plenty of negative feedback online about them letting customers down, cancelled services, poor customer service, rude drivers, dirty coaches etc.

What amuses me is that this campaign on here is an exact mirror of a few years ago where aircoach were the good guys right down to the flavour of their air fresheners and the same forensics were applied to their competition and all negative aspects of the competition relayed on here but nothing negative about aircoach. Zero balance, one company is a hero the other is a villain never an in between.

just sharing the optics from a long time readers perspective and someone involved in the industry (but nothing to do with these two companies).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“even though they there is plenty of negative feedback online about them letting customers down, cancelled services, poor customer service, rude drivers, dirty coaches etc.”

Fair, but then perhaps you should highlight those.

Personally I tend to not comment on those sort of daily customer issues in general unless I’ve had personal experience of the service (which I haven’t of DubEx).

It is much easier to comment on choice of coach, specs and other business decisions and Aircoach have been making some piss poor ones over the years. The Panthers while fine for the airport routes, aren’t good enough for intercity. New Mercs sound like an improvement, but again it sounds like they have gone with a low spec and dense seat configuration. I can’t see this doing well versus the nicer new GoBus coaches to Cork or the new DubEx ones to Belfast.

To be honest when Aircoach launched their service to Cork, I always used Aircoach, but after a few years as GoBE improved I completely switched over to them due to their nicer coaches and now they have even better new ones.

And Aircoach has been making some weird ass business decisions, at a time Citylink was buying GoBus, gaining a monopoly to Galway and a nice route to Cork, Aircoach were off distracted starting a stopping service to Galway with questionable demand and then seemed distracted extending their Belfast route to Derry, again with questionable demand, all while competition has been heating up.

The last few years has just been noticeably weird for them. Of course they are far from the worst here, but I hope the new management can turn things around and make better business decisions.

Quick Belfast to Dublin pricing update, Dublin Express are keeping the £8 fare (to city and airport) until end of August, Translink have knocked their web saver ticket down to starting from £9 for the airport (£9.50 city), but Aircoach have not responded at all commercially and £13 to airport (£13.50 city) remains their minimum fare.

Hearing about more internal appointments from within First to plug some of the vacancies. Really don't think that is the way to go, they need people who understand the Irish market and the way it works and know the differences between between a city bus network and long distance coach services if they are to address issues.

Aircoach have however believed to have agreed a pay deal with the unions which means that the salary bands are going up which hopefully should ensure that they are able to attract and retain more drivers than they have done recently.

• Advertisement

Not only have we not seen any messages for a few days from Aircoach about cancellations, they have now removed the coach tracker from their website which I guess is one way of limiting the damage of services that do not seem to be operating.

Meanwhile earlier following a post from a customer about the Dublin to Derry corridor and the fact that service could do with toilets, the official Dublin Express account made a now deleted comment about the fact ti was 'hard to put a toilet on a bus that goes to a fictional place' which is probably not the smartest thing to say.

Having said that, the feedback from Dublin Express punters thus far is positive, even if I'm surprised they've branded the coaches with 'Part of National Express'

Advertisement