Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Jj was one of our most frustrating players …..had the poteintal but couldn’t deliever on it with any consistency despite numerous chances ……very surprised Connacht have signed him as he has just drifted thru clubs last few years doing very little .madigan was a few levels above him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea, it is going to be very tough for him to stick at 8 though for munster, way too much talent in the back row there. However, I’d agree that it is probably too late for a switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

IMO 2013/2014 season ruined Hanrahan. Munster played him injured for a big chunk of the season and he has never been the same since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He was a very talented player, but never had the top two inches IMO. It wasn't just the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Well it's impossible to know without a time machine

JJ definitely was a serious prospect who never met his potential for one of many reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Jean Kleyn starts for SA in the Rugby Championship on Saturday. I think we can now officially put the Schrodingers IQ debate to rest 😉

Snyman on the bench. It will be some 2nd row to finish the game when Orie gets taken off at 50 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Personally I think it's a pity the game is on in Cork, would prefer Thomond. I was at the South Africa game and while the atmosphere was good, it wasn't as incredible as some were making out - and it's an awful stadium.

But, as it's a once-off it probably makes sense to make the few extra quid for the coffers

It's a lot of money, and the Cork supporters do need some big games to be played locally. I've no issues with it

The only issues I had with PuC are the tiny "big" screen and the road closures without a proper P&R to the ground.

After the match Cork City seemed to be unprepared for the crowds coming out if the grounds with huge queues to get to pay stations at car parks & fast food outlets closed.

Other than that no complaints 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Stupid idea, after the auful atmosphere we had against SA there it should really be in Thomond. I hope they sell feck all tickets and this comes back to bite the Munster branch in the behind

• Registered Users Posts: 26,031 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Very easily the 3rd best stadium in Ireland.

In a bit surprised though as I didn't think there would be that big a crowd in 6 Nations season for a "clash of (sort of) champions"

From listening to others, I think the general issue people have is the location and the difficulty getting in and out rather than the stadium itself. I agree that it may not sell as easily as the SA game, but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

That's the spirit.

Hoping that feck all tickets sold really helps Munster....

Stadium itself leaves a lot to be desired also, one single small screen and for rugby games you're much further back from the action than you would be at TP or MP. The atmosphere for SA was good but nowhere near as good as that of Musgrave Park on a match day

It would help them in realising their mistake certainly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Anyone that was at the match V SA Select XV in PUC couldn't in all seriousness say the atmosphere was bad. The stadium was absolutely crammed full, and the atmosphere was brilliant. Only for the fact it lashed rain for the whole match, it would have been even better. (I was in the terraces which are open to the elements). I couldn't get a seat in the stand such was the demand around Cork for the occasion. Loads of people that would never go to a rugby match went for the occasion. I can definitely see the demand for tickets being through the roof for the Crusaders match. No-brainer to use PUC again if the economics stand up.

• Advertisement

Agree with comments that the experience for spectators has to be looked at more carefully though, getting into and out of the grounds, to get a connecting transport service, and making the local establishments aware of the incoming fans after the match, as well as looking at having a massive screen at both ends of the pitch should all be high up on the priority list. More information for fans about where to go for food and drink and a shuttle service would be a great idea, just needs more thought to develop some ideas. There are plenty of pubs in Cork City set up for match day events, so just need Munster Rugby to put a small bit of effort into trying to organise some supporter events after the match or at least advise the fans of what is on offer from the various venues in Cork. I still don't know why they have it pencilled in for 5pm on Feb 3rd, when the Wales V Scotland match is on at 4:45PM.

I never said the atmosphere was bad, it's just not as good as it would be in rugby stadiums in our province

Have to disagree with you, almost twice the capacity and everyone buzzing as it was such a unique event.

And actually you stated it was an awful atmosphere.

By comparison to a Munster game in MP or TP, yes it was auful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'd disagree it was 'brilliant', I wouldn't say it was bad either. It couldn't compare to say when Toulon came to town, or the Maori to think of two off the top of my head in recent years. It wouldn't be fair to compare it to semis or finals as there's something on the line there. That's people's own opinion I guess, just giving my two cents on the night.

Personally I despise grounds where you're that far from the action and the screen is a joke for a place that's 'very easily the 3rd best stadium in the country'. It was a great occasion no doubt, hence the sellout, but I'd personally prefer this to be in Thomond. I reckon if you asked any Crusaders player or fan who know their rugby history onions they'd prefer to be playing in Thomond too.

However if it's worth more to the province no harm in having in PuC again. I just wouldn't like to see matches there regularly.

I prefer rugby to be played in rugby grounds but we're spoilt here in Ireland as 3 of the four provinces have fans closers to the field of play, The Sportsground has dog racing track around it. But I thought PuC worked well bar the "big" screen and catering in the ground, both of these are easily rectified if the feedback was taken on board.

I say all of this as a guy who lives lees than 10 minutes away from Thomond Park and would prefer all matches to be played there but I understand Munster's need to keep a base in Cork.

Reading the Examiner yesterday it seems the pitch is coming fairly cheap too so the extra tickets sold (if sold) should more than enough cover the costs.

Reading the Examiner yesterday it seems the pitch is coming fairly cheap too so the extra tickets sold (if sold) should more than enough cover the costs.

Do you think it would sell more than the capacity of Thomond? Maybe it will and if it does then that's great but I have my doubts.

There were a lot of casual fans the last time for SA but most casual fans wouldn't have heard of Crusaders, the English soccer will be in full swing that weekend and the biggest fans will probably be on a weekend in France for the 6N. I'm hearing the GAA leagues will also be ongoing at that time of the year.

Let's not forget, Musgrave Park sold out just once last season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭50HX

I know the money guides it towards Puc but will the overflow of a full TP cover the fee for using the stadium I wonder

SA are an international draw, ask a non rugby fan where crusaders are from & I bet majority would get it wrong

I'd go TP, market it right, one off crusaders/munster jersey for eg at a decent rate

It's 5 weeks after Xmas, alot of competition sport wise at the time if year

Looks like Munster won't be signing anyone else for next season

Three players will join the province from other clubs with two players stepping up from the Munster Rugby Academy.

The new additions are Maori All Black international Alex Nankivell, former Ireland U20 international Seán O’Brien and Ireland international John Ryan.

The players stepping up from the Academy are Patrick Campbell and Cian Hurley.

• Advertisement

Market PuC right and forget about a one off jersey and you might make more money and also endear yourself to the Cork faithful.

Advertisement