Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Given that Torquay Road is closed to through traffic from 08.00 to 18.00 every weekday for two months would it be asking too much for traffic travelling towards Whites Cross on Leopardstown Road to be given more green light time...................oh wait, that probably IS asking too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Go down Brewery Road or up Murphystown direction for for a while.

There isn't a chance in hell they'll curtail green time on the N11, even temporarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

I see that the owners of Stillorgan shopping centre intend to introduce paid parking. It seems to be the trend at the moment. If approved, it’ll be interesting to see what the charge will be and if there will be any grace period.

We’d often walk up there at the weekend, but depending on the fee it would definitely result in reduced spontaneous drive by drop ins. It will likely impact on business in the entire area initially as I imagine a lot of people use the centre for parking. At least the plaza has a free option.

The Stillorgan decor car park and surrounding roads will also see an uptick in parked cars so paid parking is likely to radiate outwards.

Ah yes, Brewery Road, the scene of the never ending building and tree planting for the new apartments but to be fair the best thing that has happened there recently is the new traffic island to stop the morons who were driving on the wrong side of the road from a long way back to get to the N11 traffic lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭p15574

Only surpassed by the idiots driving on the wrong side of the road from a long way back to blindly take a left around the queueing traffic onto St. Brigid's Church Road, before the lights. I can't say how many times I've nearly been wiped out on a bike due to this. One time I actually followed a driver all the way to Stillorgan Shopping Centre to give him an ear-bashing - he hadn't even noticed the near miss.

• Advertisement

The same idiots no doubt. Long live the traffic island !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Question for ye.

I'm only recently driving, and have to go out and meet someone in Dun Laoghaire today. I'll be approaching Dun Laoghaire from the York Road end. Where is the best place to park? I see there's a carpark at the West Pier, which would be perfect, but is it always full? My mum has suggested parking along York Road but I'm sure that's all residents parking, right? I know easy parking and Dun Laoghaire don't really go together but I thought a local might be able to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭FionnB

There's usually plenty of parking at the West Pier car park, and it's cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anywhere around the Coal Harbour is €4 per day, if you don't want to go all the way down to the West Pier.

And the underground carpark beside the old ferry terminal is €5 per day.

• Advertisement

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as 'residents only parking' on public roads where parking controls are implemented by the Council.

York Road, since it was mentioned, can be parked on by anyone, subject to using pay and display or park by text.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The council are holding a consultation on improvements to the Coast Mobility Route. Key points are joining up the middle bit along Crofton and Queens Roads, short extensions at either end on Sandycove Ave West and Newtown Ave, and various pedestrian safety additions and public realm whatnots along the way.

Also of interest will be the change in vehicle traffic flow between Glasthule and Dun Laoghaire - the direction of the one-way traffic will be reversed, with traffic now driving from Glasthule towards the Baths.

Plans, illustrations and the all-important survey into which to shout your responses are all here https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/environment/living-streets-coastal-mobility-rout/

Already suggested they rip it up altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There are Residents Permits in some DLR areas, where residents pay €120 each year iirc to park in pay and display areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

does not make it resident only parking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

True, it means that residents don't have to pay each time they park. It's spectacularly good value compared to the €100 annual fee from DCC for access to a bike bunker space.

The rate in DLR is €40 per resident's car, per annum. IIRC its subject to a limit of 5 cars per household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Not sure if it's best here, but they've finally added bollards to Kill lane so the bus lane can finally be used properly, but in an attempt to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, they have narrowed the end to one lane and kept the right turn (that blocks all traffic).

Is the plan to restore it to 2 lane or get rid of the right turn at some point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

5 cars per household is ridiculous, what the current planning guidelines 1.5 cars per dwelling.

Public road is public space. And residents shouldn’t have any extra entitlement to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭frash

they'd have to get rid of the right turn

I avoid that junction as much as possible these days - it's a nightmare coming from or going to Baker's Corner via Deansgrange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

That junction is an absolute disaster the traffic light sequencing has a mind of its own, some times they’ll show proceed for 30 seconds then it next time it’s only for 10 seconds, causing massive tail backs most days. I’ve reported to DLR and I’m a cyclist.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Yeah well they do, or the parking byelaws would never have been passed in the first place.

Your basic logic is reasonable, but established custom and practice is the opposite, for all sorts of practical reasons and so thats what happens.

I don't really think there is a plan at all, do you?

The Dun Laoghaire Area Committee of the Council has just approved the carrying out of a public consultation process on the so-called Living Streets Dun Laoghaire proposal, aka dressing up the pedestrianisation of Georges Street Lower as some worthy climate win.

The consultation itself begins on 2nd November for 6 weeks, but the Area Committee meeting at which it was agreed to send it out, was very interesting in itself. Quite a stark division of opinions amongst the Councillors about it and even some toys out of the pram moments from the project engineer, very unprofessional!

Anyway, I urge everyone to participate in the public consultation process, but I also suggest you watch the meeting segment itself, as its a bit of an eye opener. Item 11 on the video menu at the link below...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The constitution says we are all equal. Giving residents special privileges to public space is contradictory

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭smackyB

Didn't we have a consultation for the Living Streets scheme already? What are they hoping to achieve that would be different to the previous one? Wish they would just get on and start the work already.

There was a pre-consultation on some of the principle items and those were adjusted (I'm told) and now a final plan is out.

My personal feeling is that it has a very long way to go before its approved. Its hugely divisive and the Council members are very divided on it.

Also with the local elections just 7 months away, I feel the can may be kicked by the incumbents, in order that the new Council will have a mandate to deal with it. Also, pragmatically, a decision on it now could make or break reelection for some.

Sure have an auld go at a Constitutional challenge on it in the Supreme Court and let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Not to be a bore (as I proceed to be a bore) but DCC are responsible for traffic lights throughout the 4 local authorities of Dublin.

Advertisement