Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

Thanks for the information, I will get on to them this week and see if they can be of any help to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 EchoEmber

Went sale agreed few weeks ago, we have an AIP from both BOI and AIB and both will be sending their pack to our solicitor. Our plan is to pick the lowest rate when we go to draw down, hopefully in a months time.

How does one handle the valuation at this point ? since both have a set list of valuers that one must use from. Our thinking was to get a valuation done for the cheapest rate at the moment, and closer to draw down get a valuation done for the other offer if it is the cheapest. Is this what people do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

we had to get a valuation from whichever bank we wanted to get the mortgage with, they then have a list of approved valuers for the spot in the country you are in. I don't know if you can shop around?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

1 year later and just wanted to say to those still in the throes of buying and selling that no matter the stress (and bloody hell, there was plenty of that to spare) and the anxiety, you will eventually come out the other end of it. We're now in our new home a year with all renovations finally completed. Would I do it again? A resounding no 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

UPDATE!!!

We went sake agreed this morning at €6k over asking which I’m happy about. Delighted to have finally got there… one stumbling block is the EA has asked for an €8k deposit we only have €5k we geared our savings towards having that amount! Now to find €3k under the couch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it's currently taking for funds from P.T.S.B. to hit solicitors account?

Solicitor reckons 7 working days, I don't not trust her I'm just absolutely dying to move and hoping it's quicker!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Congrats. Great news. Weight off your shoulders no doubt

It is but the €8k deposit has thrown a spanner in the works, but we’ll get it sorted in some way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I think with AIB you pay for valuation and they appoint one. BoI has a panel but i think you can pick which one and you arrange it. So maybe you could do aib first then maybe go with same valuer for boi and try and get discount from them. If you leave it too late you might unnerve vendor and their agent. Ive had call back before on house bid on with agent asking was I still interested as looking to move on as buyer dragging heels getting valuers and engineers in etc

• Registered Users Posts: 37 EchoEmber

Yeah talked to one guy that does it for both, he said you pay full price for the first and if required for the second - he can do it for a nominal fee.

But you're right, one needs to call AIB to get it organised, while BOI just gave me a list and asked me to contact them directly.

Some seem to do both structural and valuation report as well based on the list BOI gave me. Assuming one could get a better deal there too, if you ask one person to do both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

How has everyone found the buying process once sale agreed, and vendor not in a chain? Is 10 - 12 weeks reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ya about right, I would say 12-14. Maybe add 2 weeks to factor in the various party's taking summer holidays, bought last summer and had one delay around start of August of about a week where vendors solicitor was OOO (no chain)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

I'd allow extra time but yeah, 10-14 weeks would be reasonable. We were 12 weeks from sale agreed, ran into some issues which delayed by a few weeks, which can happen to anyone unfortunately. You hear of some closing in 6 or 8 weeks and others 6 months or more...

Our solicitor received contracts and reviewed title/responded to vendor within 2 weeks from going sale agreed, been about a week since we've had a reply (as far as we know). I guess we'll need to manage our own expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭AH92

Yea sounds about right, we would've been in the house by now which would've taken 12 weeks but it fell through

If we're buying a house where the sellers are in a chain I presume it should be a longer wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

Took me 15 weeks from going sale agreed to getting the keys, and that was with me constantly badgering my solicitor.

So what’s people’s experience of a triple chain.

so we’re sale agreed on our own home..

we’re now sale agreed on our next home

and

the owner of that house is sale agreed on the house they hope to move to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

We are in week 10, solicitor applied for funds yesterday. Set closing date for 13th, hopefully have the keys Thursday/Friday next wk.🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Viewed it again and actively disliked it!

Estate agent was pushing me to offer, presume so they didn't have to go back to marketing it. I honestly wouldn't have even been happy to get it at asking price. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

third house in a row to go sale agreed on, third one to fall through.

Bank wouldn't give a mortgage because the well was on a separate piece of land, even with grants for right of way and access.

Bummed is not the word. I'm so tired of this crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

8 months after going on the market our house is sold.

Our purchase should go through later today (hopefully).

For a few hours at least I have several hundred grand in cash to my name.

Deposit now paid and EA has the sale agreed up!

now let’s see how this triple chain goes!

has anyone draw down with EBS lately? What has been your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Chain selling and buying. After 2months of conveyancing and chasing things for every requests, buyer gone silent….

no issues, nothing, wouldn’t mind if they were renegotiation the price or so. Just silence, need to relist now. Bloody timewasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Sale agreed since end of March. Contracts signed 3 weeks ago but no sign of a completion date from vendor. Getting impatient as vendor is just suiting themselves with little regard for me or the buyer of my house. My solicitor is fairly useless. I presume the following clause in the standard conditions of sale applies in my case - so in theory I should have to wait no more than another 2 weeks. Curious as to what leverage I have, if any, to force the vendor to complete in this timeframe

Post edited by kaymin on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

Push your solicitor to agree a date with them. Ring every day until you get something. Be annoying is my advice.

Insanely frustrating, maybe your estate agent could contact previous bidders?

Push for a closing date, if they won't budge, then maybe reconsider buying the house if you're in a position to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

I am prepared to walk away if I can legally do it per that clause. It would probably be akin to shooting myself in the foot though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Our buyers have signed contracts, but have put in a condition that they want us to pay 50% of remedial works for low levels of damp found in the house by some damp surveyor/quotation guy they sent. This would cost us over €2000.

There is no obvious damp in the house (as in visible to the naked eye), although the house is nearly 100 years old so I would be surprised if there was zero damp found.

I assume we go with my instinct here and tell them to take a running jump?

Advertisement