Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Chapeau Jai Hindley. Great ride, no idea why the GC men let him away.

It puts him in a good position where he can just sit on the wheel of Vingegaard. I don't expect him to win it but he could finish second now.

Having said that I've looked at Pog's situation different to a lot of the experts who say he'll suffer in the third week.

I think this first week is like training and the longer it goes the stronger he'll get.

I predicted Vingegaard would go today. It's very big for him to take that much time out of Pog.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Buchmann sprinted to deny Vingegaard some bonus seconds at the end?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

What didn't Cicconne work with Vingegaard? They would have been putting time into everyone else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ciccone is not going for GC, not going to win the stage and not going to help Vingegaard win the TDF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think Pog is definitely struggling to brush off the cobwebs at the moment vs how he’d usually be in top form coming into a GT like this, but I dunno if he’ll be able to get back to form quick enough before Jonas puts more minutes into him.

Tomorrow has the Tourmalet, and then just 3 days after the big uphill finish la Font de l’Arbre with no rest days

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You won’t see him in week 3, once GC becomes beyond him he will pull out. Off to the Vuelta with a fully healed wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Oooh! What a líne up that would be for the Vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Poor Eddie Dunbar looking at the strengthening entry list for the Vuelta thinking "Crap. Not another one"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I think Cicconne did give a turn at one stage, he was shown gesturing at Buchmann and Gall after it. Asking why the were doing nothing

He was stupid to do so if he did.

Great ride by Hindley. Anyone writing him off already is being premature IMO. (not to mention that everyone thought Pog had it wrapped up after week one last year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If Pog does lose any more time it would be interesting to see do himself and UAE have the skill to pull of an Angliru or do a Landis. Not sure they are that great a backroom team.

Bora now gone from "which sprinter" to "why the fuk did we bring sprinters at all" 🤣

Hindley is a GT winner and he's got balls so I think people should not right him off just yet. Cuddles got his big win against a similar "big 2" so maybe history repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ciccone had skjelmose behind him with pog,who is the nominal gc leader, he should not have pulled

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ciccone looked like he was told by his team to stop working for another team

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I think maybe he got the word, “you’re not going to catch Hindley, sit in and win the sprint for 2nd”. It was the right thing to do.

they/them/theirs

Buchmann definitely wasn't going to do anything with Hindley up the road!

I'd forgotten about him 🫣

Stage 6

Another tough day but likely a breakaway day.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the GC group on the Tourmalet and if not there then in the last 5km which is very steep. I can't help but think that Vingegaard sees his opportunity right now to end Pog's GC chances. UAE have to settle in on this one and save the domestiques to protect Pog later in the stage.

As for the break, it's hard not to see Powless, Gall and Lafay in it. They are all in really good form right now. Gall was unlucky today but I'll take Lafay for his second stage win.

With the form Vingegaard is in and if he goes on the Tourmalet it wouldn't surprise me if he caught the break and won the stage.

after yesterday I feel no excitement about the rest of the Tour. Vingegaard looks far too good and Pogacar off his best. Here’s hoping Hindley can make a real race out of it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Yeah, there's a reason that they usually don't go to the high mountains this early in the Tour. I wonder if Pog knew beforehand that he didn't have it and if he was trying to bluff strength in the 1st 2 stages.

I also think that Vingegaard can read when he is struggling a little. He should get some lessons from the master poker face Quintana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭geotrig

felt the same last year with pogacar early on and that turned around on its head late on. Today is a big day for him has to stay with vinegegard at least if not try take a few secs out of him i think. hindley is interesting factor in all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

watched the highlights on Disco+ last night. One moment they're on the big climb in the middle with Hindley in the breakaway and Pog and Vingo in the chasing pack; next they come back from a commercial break and Hindley is barreling towards the finish solo and Vingo has put a minute into Pog. Top editing there lads - was it the same on Eurosport? What's the f#!*ing point of highlights if you skip the key bit of the stage!

I know people are saying it's already over, but surely Hindley has a chance from here? He's won the Giro before - nobody was really expecting Vingo to win it last year, or Pog 3 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Paddigol

There's no way I'd write Pog off yet. No way. He's very young, his loss has come in the first week, had a minor injury and while he was forced off the bike for a number of weeks, that doesn't mean his scintillating form prior to that counts for nothing. If you were talking about an aul fella whose star was already waning and powers of recovery from injury diminished, or if this was the Vuelta and Pog had raced through a gruelling season, or if this was the last week of the Tour and all JV had to do was hang on for a couple of key stages, then yes it would be panic stations.

I'd give Pog more than a fighting chance of putting it up to JV all the way to Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

With all due respect to Carapaz and Landa who were beaten by Hindley at the Giro last year, Vingo and Pog are superior riders.

I was worried the UAE working so hard was to prevent attacks, because he wouldn’t be able to follow. Looks like that’s the case

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Will be interesting to see how Hindley is today after being in the break yesterday. He could have done with a nice flat stage today rather than the big mountains. Hope he does well!

People are calling it far too early. We are only in the first week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Should be fine. This is as much his terrain as it is Vingos and when you are talking a 40+ rider break then the rules of "being in a break" don't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Stranger things have happened in the tour, there’s still a long way to go, I wouldn’t write anyone out of the GC standings books yet.

Apart from Egan Bernal because he lost like 3+ minutes yesterday

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the breakaway don't want the second group to catch up. Guerreiro, Powless and Perez would all be serious threats to win the stage, it's a serious five chasing.

Advertisement