Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My understanding is that the PUC rent is such that a 30,000 attendance in PUC is similar to financially to a full Thomond.

I'm not sure if this will work out financially but I hope it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭50HX

That's about right, croke park is 55k to break even

Anything above 30k for puc then is bonus territory.

Would still prefer thomond as its a rugby ground

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Its just the odd bitter limerick based fan unhappy at having to travel for a game tbh. Most people i spoke to that went from all over the province thought it was brilliant

They said they made morw monry off of it vs sa. The cost from cork gaa is relativly low.

Hosting a few games a year in your most populous county where most of your players are from is good for the province

Musgrave parks generally packed out if its not technicall sold out its only due to a handful of terrace tickets its always a very good crowd particularly considering the games tend to be vs the poorer teams in the urc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

im very pro-more games in cork, i do however think they have to be careful about how they use PuC going forward outside of possible knockout URC/Euro games. The odd one-off game against a touring side every 2/3 years is probably a good idea but if something is played in PuC every year i would worry that the 'novelty' factor would wear off?

I think people are overstating the novelty factor. 1 big game a year would likely sell out fairly easily as long as its an international a, crusaders, interpro, champions cup type game

One thing I wonder about is how much of the fans attending PUC are Cork men as opposed to people travelling from Limerick (I know theres 4 other counties but to make it simple).

The former Leinster CEO (Mick Dawson) wasn't a fan of exhibition games against touring internationals or big friendlies as many of the tickets sold would sold to casual fans who would go to one less regular season game as a result of going to the exhibition game.

The Cork/Limerick divide could be very helpful in selling tickets to the Crusaders game without negatively effecting regular season games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

maybe if its against the NZ or SA A teams but anyone else i think novelty factor would need to be a part. the interpro would need to be against leinster too imo. champions cup could be a pre-christmas thing like leinster in the aviva but the way that competition is being structured and restructured its hard to know if there would be continual interest

id hope im wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Munster could see a big bump in attendances this season. Off the back of winning the URC, getting a favourable Heineken Cup draw and having so many really promising young prospects coming through. Rowntree Leamy and Prendergast seem to be building something really special.

The Pre-season v Leinster should also bring some hype going into the URC and I'd expect a decent crowd there despite the RWC kicking off an hour after it finishes

• Advertisement

I think it will. Like for the west cork lads buddies and family its an hour up the road instead of about 2 and a half. I dont think puc would.sell out for a Llanelli game but thomond would be half empty also it would have to be a significant game but the novelty is cork people saving travel time more than seeing joseph dwemba instead of will jordan imo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

One thing I wonder about is how much of the fans attending PUC are Cork men as opposed to people travelling from Limerick (I know theres 4 other counties but to make it simple).

If the traffic on the N20 on the return journey back to Limerick after the SA game there last year is anything to go by then there was a sizable number from the Limerick direction at the game but as you would expect Cork would provide the majority of the support for a game in Cork.

This isn't just about ticket sales though, it's about growing the fan base in Cork and having corporate events in Cork around the game and of course. Because of 10 year ticket sales, possible naming rights on Thomond Park, etc, I still don't know if we'll see a regular pool game being held in PuC in the short term but I could see Munster trying to hold a knock-out game there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I never thought we'd see big games in Cork as I didn't think it would make financial sense. However the GAA are being more reasonable with rent than I expected. It makes a game in PuC viable.

But I just don't like games in stadiums where the fans are so far from the pitch. Whether it's due to a running track or the fact that it's a GAA pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Oh this old nut again of Limerick fans not wanting to travel... Everybody knows if we didn't travel then Musgrave Park would have zero viability as they'd attract less than half the crowds they currently get

The issues around traffic management on the night, a small screen in the corner for the replays, sitting beside people reading the newspaper and being an extra 20m away from the action are all part of the Cork experience that we should all love are they?

I don't think TP will be renamed, wouldn't be a bad way of making easy money in my mind but I don't see it happening... The 10 year tickets would be the biggest thing to stop it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I can understand the argument of "Well the causal fan base won't know the Crucaders as well as a country so there might not be as big of a pull".

But there was nothing wrong with the atmosphere at PUC. I don't recall being particularly far away from the pitch that it was a problem (mind I was in the lower seats) - and I don't recall the screen being that big of a problem either (although it is smaller than the Thomond one).

Ultimately, Munster will do their market research on this and if they think it's worth their while, they will have it down there. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in either Thomond or PUC.

Also, weren't DHL going to sponsor Thomond? What happened there?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Should mean some decent game time for Tony Butler at 10 to see if he ready for the next level which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

What people have to remember is that a big part of Munsters business model is season ticket sales. Now for one off games liek this and SA I dont really have a problem with them being in Cork. For URC and group games in ERC there is an expectation that these will be in Limerick, people buy their tickets with this in mind...knockout games are of course sold seperately...but by taking knock out games to PUC are we not giving away the advantage we gain by having a hostile home game in a stadium the competition know we very rarely lose in...If we are going to start moving knock out games to PUC then why not the Aviva, bigger stadium, actually set up for Rugby...people complained when we moved the Toulouse game to Aviva a few years back because of ed sheeran concerts...how is moving knock out games away from our spiritual home and fortress and moving to a badly placed GAA pitch any better...outside of the fact that its in Cork....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

next level? I'll have you know he'll be touted for the 6Ns squad in 2024

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

.how is moving knock out games away from our spiritual home and fortress and moving to a badly placed GAA pitch any better...outside of the fact that its in Cork....

I think that’s a fairly significant difference tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I don't think that anybody is seriously suggesting that a regular season game or a European pool game should be moved to PuC

You mentioned the Toulouse game that had to be moved to Landsdowne Road because of Ed Sheeran concerts, if we had won that game we would have been the "home" team against Leinster in that same stadium. So that's 2 examples of games where PuC would have been a good shout. It's not a great stadium but it's better than having to go to Dublin

Connacht moved their game V Ulster to Landsdowne last season and despite fans groaning they had nearly 10,000 fans in attendance, double the Sportsground capacity, and ripped Ulster apart. Whether it was as much of a success as it was hoped to be in the long term is up for debate though

• Advertisement

No everybody dosent know that musgrave would sell fine without people traveling.

Iv not heard complaints from aby bar a small few limerick fans so ill stick by it. Most of the players thought the atmosphere was unreal but sure what would they know i suppose. The newspaper comments nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Is anyone watching the 20's? It seems kind of mad that Gleeson didn't get an academy spot last year over O'Connell and even Quinn. He looks by far the most ready for senior rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He's joining the academy for next season. He may look ready now, but he may not have a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Gleeson seemed to come out of nowhere, I can't remember anyone projecting him to be starting 8 for the 20s.

Id not say its mad for anyone to not get an academy spot with two years of 20s eligability left tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

He started for Ireland u18's last year and stood out at that level to be fair. Will admit I thought Quinn would start at 8 with McNabney rotating when needed, given they are a year older.

I've seen a few people reckon that he should be getting decent senior minutes next season but I'm a bit more cautious, especially with forwards due to the jump in physicality and wear and tear. I get the whole 'if you're big enough, you're old enough' thing but he still a year left at u20 so no rush - I'd play him in preseason like Quinn with one or two bench appearances dues to injuries. I don't think Doris debuted until after his second stint at u20's (could be wrong) and I remember Jordan Joseph for France dominated u20's for three years basically but seems to have completely stagnated.

With internationals away there's still kendellan and Hodnett as standouts, O'Donoghue to provide stability/leadership and I'd want to see more of Jack O'Sullivan - he was showing some form before the injuries. So plenty of time to ease Gleeson in. Hugely exciting though, very rare combination of size, skill and subtlety to his game.

Anyone want to have a stab at your first choice backrow a few years down the line, post POM? Couple of questions on my mind - is Coombes an effective blindside? Is Quinn definitely a 7 at the next level? Kendellan or Hodnett long-term?

Gleeson won't be getting decent minutes this season. I hope he will get minutes decent Munster A time and maybe a debut in the league.

I'm not sure what position Quinn will end up in. I certainly have felt that he looked more like a 6/8 around the field at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

First choice back row is tough. I see Kendellan as a natural incredibly abrasive 7. Hodnett is a different kind of 7.

I’d guess Gleeson, Coombes, Hodnett with Kendellan and Quinn pushing hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've pictured Kendellen as the successor to PoM. He has the same grit and attitude and strength. We have so many options in the back row this season it's hard to find a place for them all. I know we'll get injuries and international duty and managing minutes but picking a 1st choice team if everyone is fit leaves several brilliant players outside the 23

• Advertisement

Its very interesting that kendellan seems an obvious future captain but may not be an obvious starter when everyones healthy

Advertisement