Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Seams as there is not much to talk about in terms of injuries ,as know one actually knows outside the squad , here are some of the stats ahead of next week

semi final records since 1999

kilkenny 17 wins lost 4

clare 2 wins lost 5

the last team to beat kilkenny in a semi final and win the all ireland is us back in 97 , ironically maybe that the final was against the team we had previously met in the munster final , it was also the last time we won the all ireland minor championship in 1997

in all ireland championship meetings , its 6-1 to kilkenny with 1 draw

that 1 and only win came in 1997 , kilkenny have beaten us in 2 all ireland finals 3 all ireland semi finals and one all ireland 1/4 final

the average wining margin is 4 points the same as the margin of victory in 97 , however the largest margin was recorded last year of 12 points

big win for the mills tonight in the clare cup final against clooney/quin 0-18 to 1-14 it finished in kilkishen , a fantastic way to celebrate the centenary of Hamilton park huge win for them in fairness

highlights form tonights game in kilkishen , killian nugant has some range in fairness on frees , who need jacob loughnane, scariff bay radio did the comentry and young eoghan gunning forging a fine career as an analyst before his fine senior intercounty career even begins , a very well spoken lad in fairness, big night in jacks tonight 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

The Gunner has a certain maturity beyond his years, I just hope no extra expectation and pressure is heaped upon his young shoulders going forward, he certainly is showing all the traits to be a very special one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Clare are slight favorites in the bookies for the Kilkenny match on Sunday.

Which surprises me, given the one-sided nature of last year's match. (and historical results when Clare play KK in Croke Park).

What do the bookies know that I don't ?! We actually have more injuries this year than last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Seems off alright, given how lop-sided it was last year. And the fact that Clare's 3 & 6 are 50-50 on even starting, never mind being fully fit.

The history, beyond last year, I wouldn't read that much into. Before last year we hadn't even played them for 16 years. In the 2000s Kilkenny were on an upward curve and the core of our 90s team was gradually declining. Nevertheless we gave them great games in '04 and '06 when we would have been totally written off for both.

From what I hear (could be bullsh!t), but Conlon and Dave McInerney are ok to start.

Cleary is still not right and will likely be replaced by D.Lohan.

No idea on A.McCarthy but my sense is he's unlikely to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

No offence to young Lohan but not a hope I would start him against the cats. Got to be Flanagan or Morey back there

My mind keeps going back to last year.

Conlon injured and we call up Paidi Fitzpatrick, who hadn't played all year. In a semi final in Croker !

Jack Browne and Aaron Fitz had both at least done some hurling at CB during the earlier rounds or league.

I would agree with you that Morey or Flanagan would probably handle the occasion better, or at least be less of a "risk" than starting D.Lohan.

Dare I say it but I would even prefer to see Davy Mac back there and play seadna at wing back.

• Advertisement

That can be Plan B. Davy Mc needs to be ready to switch into 3 or 6 if needed.

Ideally we don't have to make 2 changes to the team because one player is injured. At least I wouldn't start that way.

It's crucial we can settle more quickly this time so the more players playing in their normal positions, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Has anyone got upper cusack or hogan tickets yet? there hasnt been any on ticketmaster, are they the only ones selling the tickets?

They aren't on sale because those sections are not open, and probably won't be at this stage. They would prefer to sell out the lower decks first ...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭dohboy

When will the non sh1te tickets go on sale, I'm wondering. Not buying the pisspoor ones in the corners yet anyway.

so there wont be anyone in the upper sections for a semi final? wtf

Probably not. Only 40k were at the same game last year. I think the condensed season hits attendances, it's all run off quickly, loads of folk and families are away on hols etc.

pity, was never at a hurling semi final before, wont bother if its only the $hit seats available.

it should be played in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed. Even at that anyway, I’d say a lot would just try to hold out for the final if Clare get in. Two trips to Croker is pricey.

From Ennis for an Adult and 2 kids maybe…(more if a student)

Toll: Limerick; Laois, M50 x 2 = €13 if you have the tag. €15.40 without tag.

Petrol: €40 we’ll say

Food: €10pp (probably under doing it) = €30

Tickets: €50 + €10 + €10 = €70

€153 for 1 adult and 2 under 16s (and I’m definitely underestimating that by not taking taxi or something into account too) for a semi final.. double it for final then. Another adult and you’re adding €60 to it with ticket and food.

That’s a heck of a lot of money needed to have to be able to burn. The low attendance makes sense when people have to weigh things up.

Yep, and when the games come thick and fast, the expense can't be spread out.

The Indo reporting conlon and Davy Mac winning their race to be fit for Sunday. Aidan McCarthy is 50/50 but cleary is out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Each to their own but we don't get to Croke Park too often so it's serious value for me and the family if we get to see our county heros play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

To be fair this is the only time this year that we have had to really leave the county boundaries bar the Waterford game in thurles

Galway hurling supporters have been all over the country since the championship started

From a supporters point of view the split season is a god sent , I have been on the road since January win lose or draw you know everything will be over by the August weekend, from there you can start saving a few quid for next year's season tickets , and some of the expenses that go with it you have 6 months to prepare for it again

I know it's a huge expense at the moment but we are basically living in early 1980s level of high inflation, if you look back at some of the attendances then at all Ireland semi finals they would barely attract 25000 and the finals rarely sold out , it's just the times we are in

A lot of Kilkenny people won't travel this weekend for that same reason

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For me the whole "cost" thing isn't a Clare thing, it's a GAA thing, they have to realise they are in the entertainment business, Sunday is going to cost me the bones of €400 by the time myself and the family are home, there won't be a lot of direct costs to the GAA for that outside of match tickets, but we'll have to get there, park, small children walking is a pain in the **** so you'll have to have pit stops, can't expect the wife & boys to go non-stop to Dublin so there'll be a stop both way, maybe Kildare Village "for a look", snacks at the game and then €100 on pints for me in Taylor's as soon as we get home to celebrate 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

So what you can draw from that is probably Conlon and Davy Mac are out but Cleary and McCarthy are fine...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

At the risk of repeating myself, anyone speculating about the status of any player is just clickbate, we'll find out at 3.30 on Sunday, the opposition won't even know from our warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

I'd say wait till 4pm on Sunday to be sure. Davy Mc did the warm up the last day...

Cleary, Conlon and Davy Mc all named to start.

A.McCarthy seemingly not even in the match day panel.

But really that doesn't tell us a lot.

1. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)

2. Adam Hogan (Feakle)

3. Conor Cleary (St Joseph’s Miltown)

4. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones)

5. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)

6. John Conlon (Clonlara)

7. David McInerney (Tulla)

8. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge)

9. David Fitzgerald (Inagh-Kilnamona)

10. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)

11. Tony Kelly (Ballyea)

12. Ryan Taylor (Clooney-Quin)

13. Ian Galvin (Clonlara)

14. Shane O’Donnell (Éire Óg)

15. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)

16. Éamonn Foudy (Inagh-Kilnamona)

17. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones)

18. Cian Galvin (Clarecastle)

19. Cian Nolan (Smith O’Brien’s)

20. Darragh Lohan (Wolfe Tones)

21. David Reidy (Éire Óg)

22. Patrick Crotty (Scariff)

23. Paul Flanagan (Ballyea)

24. Robin Mounsey (Ruan)

25. Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)

26. Shane Meehan (Banner)

• Advertisement

Can't see that being the actual starting 15 but we live in hope ......

Advertisement