Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Thinking more on the noise for Carsley within the media and think his agent is just using us as a way to try and build interest for a club job.

If he doesn't remain with the English FA could see him looking for a job at club level. Don't think taking the Ireland job at this stage would be beneficial to his career. As much as appointing him might be a risk think we'd be more of a risk for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

That’s a fair point. One of the things that I like about Carsley is that, as a young manager, he would be aware that his performance there would have a significant impact on his future career. So I wouldn’t imagine him going back to hoofball or anything -the big question mark is that it’s hard to see how any of his experience to date would make him a good fit in the Ireland setup.

But if he has any ambition at club level I would imagine it’s more that certain that he’d be out of the running regardless. International management is a big time commitment, even a short stint is well over 2 years - and considering we won’t be demanding WC qualification then it’s likely over 4 years. Even where he is now in the Euros will have risen his profile enough that possibly a championship club/league 1 would take a punt on him.

For me, it’s not so much defending Kenny as it is looking at someone with a similar profile to him in terms of high level management experience. I just can’t see anything about what he’s currently done to make me positive that he’d be a good fit for Ireland. And as others have said, how gettable he really is anyway is in question.

I wouldn’t be wholeheartedly against the appointment if the FAI decided to pull the trigger - a young manager with a lot to prove would be interesting if nothing else - I just wouldn’t be expecting any radical changes or improvements over where we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

€120 for Netherlands tickets, in by no mean premium seating locations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Lee Carsley is 49. 2 years younger than Kenny with a lot less senior management experience. As others said if he was doing it with someone other than England I would probably say go get him, but hes working with a bunch of very good young players, most of whom would be starters for Ireland. Its a big jump going from that to trawling through the lower end of the Champ and League 1 to find players. I dont think his experience makes him a good fit for the Irish job at all. May be proven wrong if he gets the job but I think it wouldnt go well and as you said I would say he is more likely to go for a club job first. Everyone wants a club job, International jobs are generally a fall back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Kenny supporters are going to shoot down any suggestion. We have to appoint someone new, Kenny is finished. It's about finding someone who fits into our budget etc. Let's be honest, no matter who it is, it can't be any worse than Kenny. Carsley is a good option. He ticks a lot of boxes. There are other candidates out there though. Anyone any suggestions?

That’s outrageous really, but it was the same for France.

The earlier tickets are much better value even if you had to get tickets to 2 games. We got the same seats for Gibraltar and Netherlands for €80 overall.

I would say the best bet now is keep an eye on here or ybig as there’s usually some more reasonably priced tickets a day or so before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

I haven't, what i have said I would rather the FAI did a complete search. For me the person doesnt have to be Irish, its about the best within the budget available not just random manager mentioned in the press. Carsley has 20 games at senior level as an interm, 10 wins, 10 losses. Has been in the English system a while now, he may not have the level of knowledge of the Irish players playing in the Champ, League 1 or Scotland. Its very hard to know how he would go.

Havent seen this mentioned here before but Jonathan Hill has said publicly that he believes the Irish manager should be living in Ireland. Cant see them adhering to that now but he has made a rod for his own back with that comment a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

Sorry but what boxes does Carsley tick? Like what was mentioned already, he's less experienced than Kenny club wise. Actually no club experience at all. Will look for a club position before entertaining an Ireland job that has to look increasingly dodgy for a man looking to build his career. His relative success is borne out of the fact that he's working with elite level young men, involved with a professional set up that the FAI would have wet dreams over. Carsley would be nuts to entertain the idea of an Ireland job where he'd be on the back foot from the get go, be working with men who are levels below what he's working with now apart from a small number of Irish lads.

I'm on the fence with SK, not a supporter of him at all but the current noise around LC doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Mod: Kenny/New manager has been done to death by this point, it has derailed the thread. Unless there is any significant developments I would advise that until after the next game at least the topic is put to pasture.

Anything beyond this post may result in a warning and/or a thread ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

So we have seen Collins, O'Shea, Ogbene and Jack Taylor get good transfers already this summer. Who are we expecting to see next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm not calling for him but it does seem a bit odd that you'd have that reaction just because I posted that an Irishman has taken the England under 21s to the semi final of the Euros by beating Portugal.

It's a big deal, Carsley for the Irish job or no.

Jason Knight hopefully. Unfortunately it's probably gonna be to a lower championship team but it's better than another year stuck in League One. Surprised there's been no links with Luton. Would suit their style of play and would be a cheap signing if they want to be shrewd with their money.

Unfortunately no news on any Kelleher rumours regarding a move, and another City youth keeper with only League One experience has gotten a PL move. Burnley signing James Trafford for £15m.

Rumours around Travers to Luton went cold but similar happened with Ogbene and he was their first signing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Brighton also signed a keeper and they were one of the ones rumoured to be interested in Kelleher. Brentford, Spurs and Brighton all runoured to be interested and all have signed new keepers. Hopefully he gets a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Good to see that Steven Reid has returned to coaching. Great opportunity for him to continue to learn in the PL

Fantastic to see him back coaching. Steve Clarke and Cooper rated him highly. Always thought he'd make a good appointment when Eustace left the set up but had walked away from coaching that summer to take up a different career path.

That's now gonna be Steven Reid and Andy Reid as part of the Forest first team coaching staff.

As they say no smoke without fire but it's also John Fallon, he's reporting that Kevin Zefi might be on the way out of Inter and that Newcastle have possible interest in him.

Think he has one year left on his contract and Stephen Carr is his agent so could be mates with Fallon and feeding him info to get clubs interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The vast majority of those Irish aggregator accounts are absolutely awful. Useful for the odd bit of news in relation to less notable/well known players, but the hyperbole ad nonsense they come out with...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Plus they look for money to keep it going.. go away out of that.

• Advertisement

It's also the first transfer window where he can legally sign for clubs in England. Think Carr mentioned after his move to Italy that only for Brexit he'd be in England so Italy was a back up option rather than stay in Ireland for those two years.

Always thought going somewhere like Belgium would be better than the big clubs like Inter and only for COVID could have ended up somewhere like PSV where you'd expect his chances of breaking through would be better.

Yeah from watching Irish games I've always been more impressed with Rocco Vata. No doubting that Zefi is a talented kid but Vata comes across more well rounded while Zefi tries to be too fancy at times.

Six year contract with the club having an option for an extra two years. Brentford confirm it's for a club record undisclosed fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Hard to believe its his 4th club in 4 seasons!

Thankfully though each move seems better than the last rather than other way round with him moving to lesser clubs each season. Obviously remains to be seen how Brentford will fair this season with Toney missing atm and mightn't start week in week out but would expect Brentford to finish higher than Wolves.

Pity Burnley were forced to sell players last summer because would have been interesting to see how he'd fair in Kompany's Burnley and think they'll surprise a few teams this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't think you could say with a straight face that moving from Wolves to Brentford is a step up.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Perhaps Zefi moving is for the best.

I noticed he hadn't been getting a lot of time at the top youth level (Primavera). Obviously it's going to be ferociously competitive at Inter but it would seem even at youth level there are lads ahead of him.

At 18/19 you'd be hoping this is the season when he could start getting a look in for a senior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Come on you can dress it up whatever way you want he is leaving wolves because he couldn't get in the team and they improved after he was dropped. Wolves are a much bigger club and anyone who has been watching football for more than two years knows that.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

Not good news for Obafemi as Burnley confirm he picked up a hamstring injury while on international duty and is to miss the start of the season going on reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Wolves don't have more money. There's financial issues currently as a result of FFP. It's been spoken at length that they'll be selling this summer with very little set to be spent on incomings.

Wolves spent a great chunk of last season in a relegation battle while Brentford sat comfortably mid table.

Club size based on history or fanbase or whatever is overrated. Brentford are a club on the up, similar to that of Brighton, and could of well being pushing for a European spot next season if Toney hadn't gotten himself suspended. For me, it's a move up. Not much of one, but still one nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

Wolves will be this seasons Leicester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

This exactly. How anyone could watch Wolves over the last couple of seasons and think they're a better outfit than Brentford is mind boggling. Brentford are very well run, have a new stadium and an exciting, on the rise manager. Wolves are mired in financial problems, have a manager unsure of his future and could well be in trouble next season. I know which club I'd rather be at if it was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I definitely think Brentford is a better club for Collins than Wolves. Maybe in terms of club size historically they aren't as big but two clubs going in opposite directions I think. Thomas Frank seems a great coach too. The fact that he is their record signing for a club who aren't major spenders suggests they intend on him being a starter sooner or later too.

• Advertisement

Former Ireland international Lee Carsley has guided England u21's to the Euro u21 final. Very impressive and a great achievement. England u21's have only emerged from the group phase of this competition once in the last 5 attempts. Well done Lee, still hope he doesn't win the final though. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

I thought this was the Republic of Ireland football thread?

Yeah, Lee Carsley won 40 caps for us. He actually played in the World Cup! Briefly though. He seems to be making waves in the managerial world now. Fair play to him.

Incredible achievement for an Irish manager.

All the Kenny stuff aside.

If they won it, it's surely the most prestigious international trophy any Irish manager has ever won?

I think you're right. We've had some successful club managers but I don't recall an Irish manager winning an international trophy. It would be an incredible achievement.

England were one of the favourites in 2021 and finished bottom of their group. They've had really strong teams for the past decade and had repeated failures. Win or lose the final, Carsley has done a great job. And from the games I've seen, he has them playing some attractive stuff. Will be interesting to see where he goes after this tournament. It's brilliant to see an Irish manager doing so well. It's very rare.

Strange some cant acknowledge the success without bringing Kenny into it.

Gareth Southgate failed to get out of the group when he was in charge. And he had Harry Kane, John Stones et al. He's not doing too badly in his senior job I don't think. Carsley deserves enormous credit. Nothing can take away from the outstanding job he's doing. It shows what hard work, graft and learning from the best can do. He's built a very good reputation and it's just a matter of who gets to sign him up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭budgemook

ah for jaysus sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'm aware of that , but the thread is just another thinly veiled "Kenny out" thread by the troll

What's your issue? Getting to a major tournament final is clearly a great achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sick of logging in and reading the same thing every day. Maybe that's harsh but hey my motto is "No more Mr. Nice Guy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I think you’re allowed to start your own thread for the next Irish manager discussion. It was derailing this one was the mod’s argument.

Yup fair play to Carsley on getting to the final. Has the team playing some good football this tournament and yet to concede a goal.

Think he'll still get himself a decent club job mid season without winning the tournament. Good to see an Irish coach doing well given the lack of Irish coaches in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Brian Kerr won both the U16 and U18 euros. Massive massive achievements with underdogs.

How could I forget Kerr!! I think his 3rd place at the u20 World Cup might even be a better achievement but the 2 Euros were incredible. Carsley the best achievement at international level since then. Hughton doesn't look like he's doing much so far with Ghana but early days. We really don't have many with success at international level. I think Brendan Rodgers might be an international manager at a later stage of his career.

Well fair play to him anyways. Winning a tournament is a great achievement if he can manage it, always like seeing ex Irish internationals do well.

It’ll be interesting to see what he does after this. I would presume if he is going to try to move to club management it’ll be now, his stock will never be higher then after a successful campaign.

Oh ya i cant stand that lad i just ignore him now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Just on the women, do I get the impression from Katie McCabes comments today that she has issues with her manager going into a World Cup?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement