Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thurles seating capacity is too low for an All Ireland semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Is there any chance richie Hogan is fit? Even if he came on for the last 15 minutes you would imagine he would be a calming influence in that troublesome period that we seem to be having we seem to lose big leads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I agree, if he isn't suitable for that kind of circumstance, you would seriously question why he's kept on the panel at all. Maybe it's just my own sentimentality but I have a sneaking suspicion he could come in and do some damage when the opposition are a bit tired and he starts using the cuteness. Would **** love it if he did, 2019 is a long time ago now in hurling terms, would be great to see one of the greats of his generation vindicated for years of slogging with little reward in those years since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Unfortunately for Richie, and indeed management, he keeps breaking down. Must be frustrating for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hogans heroes

Point he scored when he came on last yar was worth the admission price alone,would love to see him on sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Grats and hogans heroes (apt name here) I actually agree with both of ye. Putting him on the field is a roll of the dice. But my opinion is if he wasn't with the risk, lyng would have told him before Christmas that he was not required. If lyng isn't willing to roll with him when he's not injured, then he shouldn't be there. Hope he gets his shot now when it's in the mix Sunday.

I imagine the plan was to use R Hogan during the year but from what we hear, he continuously breaks down. Both he and Lyng had the best of intentions having him on the panel but it unfortunately hasn't worked out.

Not trying to be argumentative because I agree with you about lyngs intentions but it's funny how for the 3 years previous lads on here were slating cody for doing probably the same thing with the same intentions

I'm not sure if R Hogan was so obviously injured during Cody's reign but it certainly has been obvious this year. He was named to start on a few occasions but ended up not even togged out. We also heard of various niggles etc that he picked up.

In all fairness now the whole country knows he has been dogged by back spasms and injuries for years

Cody was far from perfect but the last few years on here were embarrassing at times..when we won he got no credit but when we lost it was entirely his fault.

But anyway that's an entirely different matter and we have a big game to look forward to Sunday..

With all the talk of tony kelly not scoring from play last year I can see him getting the ball from the throw in and scoring after 30 seconds 😁 I am still very hopeful of a kilkenny win

• Advertisement

I don't at all disagree with you about the treatment Cody got on here. I expect that Lyng will put his own stamp on the panel after his first year.

Wouldn't we all love to see a fit R Hogan in action.

Hopefully Tony Kelly's first score after 30 seconds isn't a goal! 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

We were also told by the cognoscenti here that there’d be a flood of lads back into the panel once Cody left the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Best of luck to Camogie and Hurling teams at the weekend.

*Sidenote - The camogie All Ireland Semi Finals will be played in Nowlan Pk.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hogans heroes

Good luck 2 the camogie girls on sunday, hope everyone gets in early to shout them on and set us up for a great afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭me89

Mullen in for Darragh Corcoran is the only change. Paddy at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Kilkenny

Eoin Murphy; Mikey Butler, Huw Lawlor, Tommy Walsh; David Blanchfield, Richie Reid, Paddy Deegan; Conor Fogarty, Adrian Mullen; Tom Phelan, Martin Keoghan, John Donnelly; Billy Ryan, TJ Reid, Eoin Cody.

Subs: Darren Brennan, Conor Delaney, Cillian Buckley, Pádraig Walsh, Darragh Corcoran, Alan Murphy, Cian Kenny, Timmy Clifford, Walter Walsh, Richie Hogan, Billy Drennan.

Clare

Eibhear Quilligan; Adam Hogan, Conor Cleary, Rory Hayes; Diarmuid Ryan, John Conlon, David McInerney; Cathal Malone, David Fitzgerald; Peter Duggan, Tony Kelly, Ryan Taylor; Ian Galvin, Shane O'Donnell, Mark Rodgers.

Subs: Eamonn Foudy, Aron Shanagher, Cian Galvin, Cian Nolan, Darragh Lohan, David Reidy, Patrick Crotty, Paul Flanagan, Robin Mounsey, Seadna Morey, Shane Meehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

If teams play as listed it looks like the injuries have cleared up for both teams.

Strong Kilkenny team with a good bench too.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Kilkenny will have it all to do against Cork, but they have beating of them. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Deegan at 7 to me makes no sense, he has had too many bad days there (and the corner).

And what do we do if we win? Irrespective of whether it's Lim or Galway, Deegan has been scorched by Hegarty and Mannion in the past and they will target him big time.

Really good bench options in fairness, esp in forwards.

btw

Ticketmaster opened upper decks this morning, so lots of good upper deck centrefield tickets available at present.

Only muck left for tomorrow's semi, so it looks like 60k plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

I would imagine the thinking is that if Tony Kelly goes wondering and Mikey follows that Deegan will drop to the corner as he has played there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Thanks, got some good upper Cusack tickets.

Strong team, hopefully Mossy is good to go and Billy Ryan scores a hat trick

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭KK36

2 changes. Richie Reid for Cian Kenny as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Still find it hard to see C Cleary starting or lasting a full game if he does start. If he does start and is forced to go off injured it's surely a waste of a sub. If he plays the full game I think it'll be very close and makes it very hard to call. Clare fans must be cock-da-hoop altogether.

It's great to have Adrian and Mossy back hopefully Mossy can last longer than 15-20 minutes this time but if he can get a goal before he goes I'd be happy enough. I think Richie and Deegan in the half back line makes sense but like has been pointed out above it might not work against a Lim or Galway if we have that to worry about that on Sunday night. I do think it's a horses for course type selection. I think Richie and Deegan will do better against Clares game but their not both suited to the half back line v Gal or Lim. If we beat Clare we can worry about our half back line for the final but we have to beat them first and I think that's why Corcoran missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Any feedback on how mossy has recovered in the last 2 weeks? Having him right would be a big plus for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Never seen the semi finals as quite of a build up.No real surprises with the team selection. Corcoran is to slow and padriag and Cillian haven't 70 mins in the legs. Our half back line got a roasting in last years final so it's not great that blanchfield is the only addition to defense. Our defense has being leaky so we will need to tighten things tomor.

Clare are better this year and aren't as reliant on tk as previous years. Davey Fitzgerald,shane o Donnell and Tony Kelly are key players. Tony will bring butler around the pitch but Mikey is comfortable nearly anywhere. Tony is so good at reading the breaks.Fogarty will try to shut down Fitzgerald and deegan on o Donnell.

Theres no doubt their full back line is a bit suspect and I'd be suprised if we don't load it with big men early and drop in a few missiles. Mossy and Adrian are huge additions. Neither have done much hurling but are very important players for us.

Alot of negativity around the two referees this weekend.james Owen's was harsh on galway a few times and referees are buying Peter Casey dropping the head. I'm sure kk will remind Lyons of Clare's diving. They are the biggest Culprits and because of this they didn't get the free at the end of the munster final.

Finally galway blew up again in the second half and I'd say it will bring the curtain down on Henry's unsuccessful stint as manager. Beaten in 2 leinster finals and two semi finals isn't good enough. Strange to change things when going well in the 1st half. I don't know have galway improved the last two years. It's the same group of players who haven't being good enough. You would have to wonder where are all these minor and u20 players? Gmac legs are gone. Cooney,monaghan and these lads are so hot and cold.

Best of luck to both teams tomorrow hopefully people go to the match instead of waiting till 5.30 tomor evening to slate Fogarty and deegan here.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The_Tank

The first semi was a carbon copy of the league final for me. Limerick physically beat up Galway (not always legitimately in my view), slowed the game with some gamesmanship and bought some soft frees (Peter Caseys antics really bothered me) . When limerick got on a roll Galway then backed off and then allowed Limerick to come on to them at will. It may be a case of pick your poison but letting them build from the back and having no out ball of your own (and hence no goal threat) seams the worse option. There was a lot of criticism of the long puck out from Galway but as Kilkenny showed in the league final if you can’t work the ball out physically against then you’re going to give up morale sapping turn overs and potentially goals. Oh for a Johnny Glynn or whatever happened to that chap Cian Salmon?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

You've got to wonder what level are Kilkenny really at? If we at Galways level in which our leinster performances against them suggests we are, then Clare should have a few to spare against us tomorrow. If we can up our leinster performances then we have a fighting chance. I just feel Clare have one big Croker performance in them and that will be tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Marrooned

good post Brookville see you up there tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Comerman

One of the best posters here 👍 best of luck to all involved tomorrow

Advertisement