Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely didn't get that impression at all anyway. Much more got the impression that she's pissed off these are the questions she's being hit with - on the eve of a game against France - instead of talking about the biggest occasion in the history of Irish women's football. She says that as team captain she does clash with Vera every now and again on opinions - as all players do, especially in leadership roles since thats part of the job - but they push each other to get the best out of each other, and when asked about her and the team being all in with Vera, it was a very definitive Yes.

Seems fairly obvious that Vera is a very forthright, no-nonsense, quite dictatorial manager, that will at times rub people up the wrong way - but those are fairly universal traits amongst top managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Spain thrashed the Ukraine in the other semi final and look very impressive so unlikely Carsley will win the tournament but he's done really well as you say. The final is on Saturday. He'll be in demand for sure after this. I think some are begrudging his success because it's with England but he doesn't sing their anthem or any of that. It's just a job and he's doing a good one.

I think I’d still be surprised if he got better than a lower half championship offer, or perhaps more likely league 1, tbh though. Historically, underage wins just don’t lead to big jobs, and I’d say it really doesn’t help that he’s got basically no club experience despite not being a young up-and-comer anymore.

Paul Simpson won the U20 World Cup for England, and his next job was as an assistant at Bristol. Then got a shot at a managers job for Carlisle in League 2.

Winning underage is undoubtedly impressive, but there is still a chasm between underage and senior level success (our own manager being a clear sign of that - excellent as u21 manager, but hasn’t translated to senior level), so I’m not sure any bigger clubs will be calling on Carsley just yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Mod: Musicrules, do not post in this thread again.

Please stay on topic folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Was Kenny really an excellent under 21 manager though? That's debatable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

If compared to his predecessor Noel King, Kenny would come out looking like Alex Ferguson.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Yeah it probably is but if you look at what he did in changing the culture of the U21s, i think it was an excellent job. He promoted younger players through the age groups and changed the style of play and made them good to watch, just go look at the way Crawford sets them up now..... Imagine if we still had Noel King who just picked random 20/21 year old from the lower leagues and someone who qualified through the granny rule, Almost nobody who King capped progressed to the senior team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Slightly unfair on Noel King as his brief was to scour the English leagues for people that qualified to play for Ireland. Part of the nonsense that we are used to with the FAI but not specifically Noel King's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Yeah true, probably unfair on King but he seemed to be a lamb and didnt really do much to bring on the 21s. To me he seemed like he was just picking up a cheque. Falls back on the old FAI really your right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Final home game for the women's team before heading to Australia. France going all out for a WC win this summer as they've hired Hervé Renard to coach the women's team.

• Advertisement

FFS a perfectly good goal wrongly ruled out for offside - wasn't even particularly close, really bad call from the lino. Would've been a good assist for Farrelly, and good run and finish from Carusa.

We're looking good though, Farrelly is a bit of a game changer it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

... would have to see it again, but think the keeper didn't even try and save it with the flag being up.

You could see the quality Farrelly had when we played the US. It's a shame her career went the way it did as she should have a lot more caps.

Fingers crossed McCabe going off is just precaution. Play again next Friday against Colombia and don't play Australia for another two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Don't Think That deserves to be 2-0. Lucky break for the first one but the reverse pass on the second was sublime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭kksaints

Disappointing end to the half conceding the two goals. We dominated the first 30 minutes or so but created very little and once France started to threaten they looked much more of a threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Wouldn't quite say we dominated first 30 mins. Definitely in the game. But that's a disappointing end to first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭kksaints

3 down now. France have been in complete control so far in the second half.

Disappointing to concede those two goals so quick together, really killed the game. Still, had a strong first half showing, and there was plenty to learn from when it went against us. Even with a defeat, it's still probably good to have played a team a level above anyone in our group, gives them a better sense of the quality to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Very useful exercise, no point in playing some weak opposition

There's the U21 Euros for Carsley anyway, fair play to him, nice to see a former Irish player winning things.

Weird game, Spain the better side for most of it, playing the better football, but much like their senior team they just couldn't take their chances - even when given a last minute penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Carsley clearly has something about him. Especially since that England U21 side did not concede a goal throughout the final tournament. (Albeit that goalie showed his chops in the final)

Future England manager. I'd say there's more chance of him being the next England manager than Ireland manager.

Couldn't see it to be honest. Southgate made that step, but I think only because of his profile as a player. And short as his management career had been before the national job, he still had 3 years of PL management experience.

Having no senior experience at all will hurt Carsley's chances of anything high profile I think. He'll get a league 1 job - maybe a lower championship job at a push - or else our job i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I didnt think Carsley was allowed be talked about here, last fella that did got banned.

Oh apologies if it's not meant to be talked about - i saw someone being threadbanned, but didn't realise that was why (the ban post doesn't specify the reason beyond being off topic), just figured it was for something that got deleted before i saw it.

Seemed relevant enough to mention in the sense of a former irish player winning something as a manager, but i can understand if it's considered a bit too tangential from the actual Irish team.

Elsewhere, sounds like it's between Stoke and Bristol to sign Knight. Derby want 2 million for him... which feels quite low to me, even with just a year left on his deal. Seems especially odd that a price as low as that is being challenged. Feels like a bit of a steal at 2m - and of course I'm biased, but he's a talented and very versatile player.

And short as his management career had been before the national job, he still had 3 years of PL management experience.

Which ended in relegation and a win percentage of 29%. And he started that job ten years before he became England manager.

Thought the non Carsley takk was more about said poster constantly bringing up Carsley so he can bang on about Kenny and replacing him with Carsley.

Assume talking about an ex international and keeping the talk about just him and not using it as a way to bang on about Kenny is maybe okay, if not apologies to said mod.

Fully agree that's a bargain for Knight when you consider Alex Gilbert just went for a million quid and that was compensation as he was out of contract. Judging Knight against that his compensation next summer would surely be more than £2m. 20 Ireland caps and a possiblity to have 30 by next summer and has a 150 League appearances.

£1.75m mentioned somewhere else and Kane Wilson likely to join Derby as part of the deal.

More Twitter rumours that Stoke, Blackburn, and Swansea are keeping an eye on Andrew Moran with Stoke likely favourites to possibly take him on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I'm an unashamed bandwagoner so I'll nail my colours to the mast early and declare my previously unreported life long support for the Irish Women's Soccer Team.

Come on you Girls in Green.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Leeds are heavily linked with Ryan Manning.

As a Leeds fan, I would be very happy with him as a signing. We're in desperate need of a left back so he'd become an instant starter for us.

Would be a great move for Manning too to play in front of huge crowds and hopefully in a team pushing for top spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Hopefully the time he took off while he was meant to be representing Ireland vs Greece and Gibraltar was hugely productive for striking this deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He's also just become a father, I wouldn't begrudge him any amount of time off for that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Apparantly Wolves are looking to bring Doherty back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Seems like a done deal and probably the best he could have hoped for after the last year. Hopefully gets back playing regularly as he seems like a player who thrives from regular gametime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Very surprised he is back in the prem. Has been very poor for a long period, wolves must be abs potless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They are somehow in a fairly big FFP hole apparently.

Thats why they had let Adama and Moutinho walk and cash in on Neves & Collins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Performed well for Wolves though so might be worth a punt given he is a free agent and Wolves are strapped for cash

Also hasn't helped them that both loans for Matheus Cunha and Boubacar Traore had to be made permanent this summer. Other than that the only signing they've made this summer was a back up goalie from League Two.

Given their situation then Doherty will be a decent experienced squad player that can provide cover for RB or LB that they've picked up on a free.

Going by Twitter talk he's at Southampton's training grounds today ahead of a potential move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Assumed he'd go there all along as that's where his previous manager went.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭budgemook

TIL Ryan Manning is 27 - I could have sworn he was well under 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Manning completes transfer to Southampton. Good move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Any sign of Bazunu moving anywhere? Might be better off to put in the season at Saints anyway. Wonder will he actually be first choice there though based on how last season went for him and getting dropped towards the end.

Very hard to know, or even to base his position on anything from last year, since they're onto yet another new manager - Bazunu's 4th at Southampton since he joined 12 months ago!

I'd say he'll get the preseason to impress anyway, which hopefully he'll do. A year starting in the Championship would be no harm for him anyway, last year was a major slog just getting beaten out the gate week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Bazunu would be better off staying put at Southampton. If a Premier League side would be interested in him it would no doubt be a lower level one and he'd spend much of the season under pressure, picking the ball out of his net, while denting his confidence even more.

He's young, Southampton have a decent side for the Championship, and he can spend this season improving both his goalkeeping and his confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Will likely have to bide his time at first unless Livramento or Walker Peters leaves. While both are RBs they move KWP to LB when Livramento is fit. Livramento is linked to Newcastle but wants assurance over playing time.

Between himself and Perraud he'd likely win out given he's worked with Russell Martin at Swansea.

Fee is meant to be £1.75m with another player having joined Derby from Bristol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I don't pretend to be a big LOI fan although I have over the years been involved with grassroots soccer in Ireland. Tonight on this site there was almost no one showing an interest in Ireland's biggest club side starting their campaign in Europe. There's a disconnect there.

Part of that might be posting habits? For myself at least, for the most part I only tend to post about Liverpool and Ireland games in-running, while I just watch other games without posting about them. I guess cause it feels to me like I know who i'm talking to on those occasions, rather than butting into someone else's thread maybe?

Be interested to learn the viewership of tonights game between RTE and the RTEPlayer (thank god for VPNs!). Hopefully had a good reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Well RTE broadcasted it to be fair and I’ve been critical of them before not broadcasting Shamrock Rovers and other LOI teams in Europe. A pity that Rovers were so poor especially in the first half.

For the Ireland national team we need the domestic league to improve. Shamrock Rovers had a good crowd supporting them tonight and live on the national channel. Disappointing that they were so poor against a part time team from Iceland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

At least they have a good stadium, I cringe every time I see Dalymount park on tv, half the stadium cant even be used and there are trees and weeds growing in the unused stands. disgrace and sums up what the likes of john Delaney has done to the league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement