Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Design will almost certainly be a Type 1 DC - the kind of road the general public calls a "motorway", but there's no guarantee that all of it will be subject to motorway restrictions. Cork County Council has form in this area (e.g., N22, N25)

You won't get to draw the little blue line all the way along the route on your map, but that'll be the only difference.

As for timelines, Back in 2000, I remember showing a friend the final design for the Waterford Bypass, a road that did not open until 2009. That was about the norm in those days, but yes, it has got a lot worse these days: projects used to take 7-10 years from final design to opening, now it's over 15.

Easy-target merchants are blaming Eamon Ryan, as if he somehow has unlimited power. But that's not the problem. The planning system is screwed, but it's hiding an underlying lack of money for transport, and I think the reason why these budgets are being squeezed is debt. As a country, we're carrying a lot of external debt, at a time when rates are rising globally: when it comes to re-finance our current debt, we will end up paying more. Given that the current, low-interest, debt costs us 10 billion a year to service, I think the prospect of higher debt costs in future is why the government is quietly squeezing capital spending: we might have the income today, but in three to four years, it's not guaranteed at all.

If it really was the minister, then we'd be seeing public transport project funds being spent at a higher rate as roads are scaled back, but that's really not happening: all the PT and active-travel projects are being cut back, long-fingered, or stuck in planning hell.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Let me be clear, there is absolutely no evidence at the minute that the M20 is being held up by Eamon Ryan.

It has received 16 million euro in funding since he took over. It's motoring ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

The motorway designation does have one significant consequence. It means that access restrictions (tractors, cyclists, e-scooters, L drivers, etc.) are on a watertight legal basis. Restricting access on non-motorway roads is more complicated than one might expect. Just putting up a sign isn’t sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

With that all said (and true) the design team here appear to be really trying to ensure those other modes are catered for offline. How it should be done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Two trucks have collided at New Twopothouse, northbound traffic backing up south of Annabella and west on the N72 beyond the racecourse.

This madness will never end.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone else want to have a crack at deciphering this? Business case publication usually coincides with an ABP application after Govermment approval

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Ya, seems to be around Supermac’s. How that shithole ever got planning is beyond me.

Of course they just opened without planning initially.

Sustainable transport funding can reasonably spill into the main budget. Perhaps that's part of what's being discussed. If the whole thing progresses as a project (sustainable & road all at once) it passes planning much easier. Alternatively, is there perhaps a Co Co funding element expected here?

No idea whether these funding discussions mean that it's closer to planning submission though I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

My first though on reading all that verbiage was that someone is treading water, maybe in the hope that the decision point will land on the desk of Ryan’s successor.

Interesting that alternative funding is being considered. Perhaps conducting such a study is a routine requirement ? Or perhaps it’s a way of putting skin in the game via a PPP type arrangement in the hope of attracting interest from additional parties at tender stage.

Re: your first point. I don’t think Ryan is able to interfere in this one. It’s clearly marked out in all TII references as a priority project and has been funded as such. The only fudge I could imagine is proposing it as a Type 1 dual N20 and reclassifying it when he buggers off given his fascination with saying “non motorway options will be explored”.

re: your 2nd point. I had always considered PPPs (DBFOM) as an option due to the sheer scale of the project. It may not represent pure financial sense but in the grand scheme of things if it’s the only feasible way to get it built given the mess that direct exchequer financing can turn into it may represent the best shot at getting it done pronto.

I don’t think Ryan is able to interfere in this one. 

I disagree. I think Ryan has every intention of interfering. But he is playing a long game; he has to as his opportunities to interfere are limited and he has to pick his moment. His form (in relation to the M20) is well known "We push bypasses because they deliver on all key objectives" and "bypasses hit all the bases when it came to balanced regional development, compact local development, and low-carbon development, invoking various Munster towns and projects as examples." and "Like we did in Cashel - we did the bypass first, then the road is upgraded, you can connect the bypass into the road. But you start with the bypass". Knowing this, and knowing how much time and energy senior civil and public servants generally spend working around and under and over their respective Ministers it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they were aiming to ensure that the next Ministerial decision in respect of this project will hit the desk of a "favourable/friendly" Minister rather than the current hostile office holder.

I'll stop here as it is mainly interpretation, speculation and conjecture and I don't want to derail the thread. But I think it's time for an open discussion on Ryan and his potential long term impact and legacy. Perhaps in the Logjam thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There is no chance that senior civil and public servants are aiming Ministerial decisions to go to the next Minister. They have no idea who the next Minister will be and whether they will be more "favourable/friendly" or not. If SF lead the next government, all bets are off as to what kind of Minister they will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

You are quite right. He was also throwing around a 3 billion euro estimate for the scheme in order to reduce public support for it.

That’s a bull shiiite estimate more than 3 times larger than the widely expected worst case scenario cost of 1 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

I disagree. TII want to get projects done, if they have to bide their time for a year or two they will.

And we currently have a green minister who is totally against road transport and is in favour of public.

You actually couldn’t ask for a worse minister from a road delivery perspective.

No, this is just delusional. Nobody has any idea who the next Minister will be and what they will be like. There is no chance civil servants are going to sit on things for a couple of years in the hope that the next MfT is more amenable. That is just conspiracy theory level of nonsense.

Ross had no interest in Transport at all. Minister for Stepaside Garda Station would be a better description of his role as a minister.

He had an interest in the elements of his brief that weren’t Transport related in fairness.

I don't see what the alternative to the M20 is to be honest. The idea that you can put in bypasses of Mallow, Buttevant, Charleville, and resolve all the safety issues on the route for cheaper than doing the M20 seems nonsensical to me. I'm fine with it being done piecemeal, but it needs to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The inbetween roads, especially around Buttevant and north of Charleville, need work on safety grounds regardless of individual bypasses. It all needs to be done. Some of them haven't been realigned since the late 1800s.

I believe that there isn't a great degree of appreciation about the state of the current road.

I know someone from Wicklow who needed to be reassured several times during the journey that they were indeed on the primary route between the second and third cities. "Should I really be in Charleville?" "Should I really be in Buttevant?" "Are you sure I haven't taken a wrong turn?" etc Literally didn't believe that the windy one-lane road was the primary route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Scooby Reggie do

If you had that conversation with someone from Europe or the US you wouldn’t mind, but the fact that they were from Wicklow is hilarious

How quickly we sometimes forget that half the country's critical infrastructure has not yet begun construction.

A story for another thread, but visiting German friends in 1996 who had driven from Stuttgart got quite the unpleasant surprise when they arrived in Rosslare and headed to Cork. They couldn't understand how the 150km journey would be more than 4 hours. The N25 wasn't even open at that stage remember.

Anyway, TLDR, when M20 is done Cork and Limerick will actually feel some bit connected, and hopefully will somewhat align towards each other. The country really needs this to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

100% agree. The development of an urban axis in the western half of the country is vital if we are to evolve beyond the unipolar Dublin-centric status quo. This is in everyone's interest, not least people living in Dublin. The M20 is arguably the critical infrastructural component to this. One thing that I feel doesn't get enough mention in relation to the M20 is that it will connect the 2nd city not just with the 3rd city but also with the 4th city. This Cork-Limerick-Galway axis needs to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It not just the three cities, you are putting a lot of substantial towns in the mix as well. Ennis, Tuam Charlesville and Mallow directly, but also Nenagh, Tralee and Killarney, smaller towns like Kilmallock, Newcastlewest, Gort, Kanturk

Directly on the corridor will be 500k+ with another 250k within 30-40 minutes of the corridor. 750+k population within probably 60-80 minutes max of either end of the corridor

Slava Ukrainii

I've said this so many times but it gets lost in the noise. It is like a spine running through much of Munster and has the potential for enormous social and economic benefit as well as regional equality. It delivers not just for the relatively small number of people that travel from Kent station to Colbert station but for the huge numbers living on all sides of the corridor, especially those to the west of it. And it can deliver benefits that can never be delivered by the M8-N/M24 route, the railway line, or town bypasses on their own. I'm all for a comprehensive solution involving a mix of road, rail, public transport and active travel, but omitting a high quality end to end road from Limerick to Cork is not an acceptable approach.

It's not even a question of doing it piecemeal or in phases. Based on the published route there is almost no opportunity to build short segments of the road which would connect with the existing N20 and server as interim bypasses without a huge amount of additional wasted/redundant development. This is simply a factor of the chosen route. The much touted example of the Cashel bypass, which was built years ahed of the M8 was a very unusual case where the proposed M8 route interfaced with the old N8 at both sides of Cashel. Accelerating its construction made perfect sense, it functioned as a bypass for a number of years alleviating the traffic nightmare that was Cashel town, it involved little additional/wasted/redundant expenditure, and when the M8 developments on either side of it were complete it integrated seamlessly. There is almost no opportunity to do the same based on the line of the current N20 and the proposed new N/M20 corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

On the other hand, the new route being largely offline through North Cork and South Limerick will make it easier to construct.

But the choice is not "bypasses" or "N20" - there are cases where both are needed. Mallow is a hub for the local and national routes in mid-cork, will still need a bypass or partial ring-road to take east/west through traffic out of the town. The location of the junction at Charleville also requires that Charleville gets some kind of relief road. These are relatively easy schemes, though, especially when the high volume of North-South traffic is removed.

As for N20 being a spine through Munster, it's actually more than that: N20 will also connect Galway and Cork for the first time, which will bring additional economic benefits. I would like to see northward improvements on N17 and onward to Sligo and south Donegal to create a high quality road link all along the western side of the country. (In terms of the public transport aspects of this project, I hope that the rail works are part of a longer-term plan for a matching, if shorter, western seaboard main line, connecting Cork, Limerick, Galway with a decent speed rail service... yes, after N20 is done, a drive between Cork and Galway won't be an ordeal anymore, but it would still be far more pleasant to take that journey by rail)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

There's big plans for the Shannon Estauary also in wind energy and green hydrogen.

I think this is the last big road project in Ireland anyway.

It's just bypasses from now on and upgrades.

Advertisement