Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ouch, does rather cut a swathe through what I said about banks liking people with titles.

I would suggest though that being from a Russian noble family is probably an exception to that idea at the moment. And her ex-husband apparently being a billionaire 'oligarch' would be a red-flag as well. Whilst she says he doesn't 'pay a penny' to her, that may not be a phrase to be taken literally.

You clearly believe that conservatism is an unalloyed bad, that by its very nature is irredeemably toxic. Fine. That's a point of view. A little on the extreme side I think, and unrelated to Farage's banking kerfuffle, but there you go.

But on that note, perhaps you should consider that the zealotry that characterises your position may be so extreme, indeed may be so piqued, that all perspective is lost on any possible positive value that can be harvested from some conservative principles. Not all, but some.

But you just dismiss it all as intrinsically evil and bad, something that must be done away with at all costs.

Your blanket dismissal isn't doing your arguments any favour.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Even if he doesn't , his existence would mean that every single penny going in and out of her accounts would be subject to the PEP rules and oversights making her account expensive to run for the bank so they probably just weren't interested in the business anymore.

Again - Nothing nefarious , just banks making cold-blooded business decisions on maximising profitability.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Modern Conservatism as espoused by the Tories in the UK and the GOP in the US is "unalloyed bad" though - They have lost all connection to the conservative parties of their parents and grand-parents. They thrive on culture wars and riling up their supporters with imaginary "boogey-men" that are coming for their jobs/religion/guns/marriage etc.

There are absolutely some positive arguments to be made about the more traditional fiscal conservative approach (not trickle down economics though , that's utter nonsense) but the modern conservative parties aren't interested in that anymore , they view blaming everything on Immigrants and the "Others" as far more profitable for them in terms of gaining power.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly.

The latest from the UK big beasts is burning children's art at a refugee camp. Utterly vile but that's modern conservativism for you.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is the Conservative party which left the conservative faction of the EU to join their fascistic buddies from Hungary. Yes the conservatives in the UK have abandoned all human decency and common sense policies with their lurch to the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why do you keep dumping that same tweet here as if it changes anything. That’s what the third time now

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Beat me to it:

”I’m not afraid to take this new fight on your behalf.

“I will say what needs to be said (and I don’t care if the woke media attack me for it)… To help you forge the prosperous financial life you deserve. I have spent decades fighting for your political freedom. Now comes the next battle – to get your money and your destiny back in your hands.”

“If like me you’re one of those people who feels he’s been very badly let down by the industry, then give Fortune & Freedom a chance. You will get a daily newsletter. I hope it will containing interesting stuff; it will contain gossipy stuff; it will contain predictive stuff, but it will also contain educational stuff. Stuff about what you can do with your money, how you can do it, that nobody else is ever going to tell you.”

This was Nigel in 2020. He was Hawking gold too, with reports recently that Russian gold is flooding Swiss refineries via exchange coming from London.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's instructive how despite ostensibly touting financial advice, he still manages to get in a bit of Big Woke paranoia into the copy, as if among other things, 'dem lefties are "somehow" limiting everyone's financial freedom and prosperity.

They're obsessed. But then like the GOP in America, there's no shortage of those Left Behind, turning their anger on others, and people like Farage nickel and dime'ing them all the way to the bank.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember the UKIP manifesto of 2015 essentially being to pare back state save for prisons, the army, the police and the NHS with the only approved construction being prisons. These people wilfully abandon vast swathes of people and communities and then have the gall to turn up and pretend that more of the same is the answer.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah now. He wouldnt do that.

Hes been complaining about people repeating posts for days in the "what happened to boards" thread.

He wouldn't be hypocritical now would he?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ha swiftly deleted this...I am guessing it was libelous.

Now up again with reference to Coutts employees removed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So little Nigel throws a hissy fit because a private bank closed his accounts. But never mind, the establishment of which he is actually part will fix the problem in their own unique way - not be implementing legislation along the lines of the EU directive ensuring every resident has access to basic banking services but striking down the PEP regulations introduced by the EU to regulate bribery etc, so they can continue on their merry little way. The British voter gets bugged once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The PEP legislation is not an EU initiative, and not a consequence of the UK's former membership of the EU. Although the EU does have PEP legislation, this is part of a wider initiative driven by the Financial Action Task Force of the OECD, aimed at promoting shared action against money laundering and terrorism financing. Both the UK and the EU (along with many others) participate in the FATF, and its because of that participation that the UK has PEP legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I find it difficult to think of any "normal", genuinely wealthy people who would set themselves up in a nixer charging 30 quid or whatever to give shout out "Up the Ra" messages.

Exactly - He's a spiv grifter with delusions of grandeur and self-importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Oh, I don't know. If I had a bunch of money coming from somewhere and I didn't want people to know where, I'd probably use something like that to hide the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

While the likes of Cameo could, it theory, be used to launder dodgy income, it would need to be paid to him through that system.

e.g if dodgy entity A wanted to give Nige 100k, and he charges 100 quid per message, they could pay for 1000 messages through that system.

It would have zero use as a generic explanation as to where he got the money for the beamer in the driveway unless he has the paper trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

NF reckons he has obtained a document which shows that the real reason Coutts closed him down is because of reputational risk/his views etc, which is kind of what some here theorized originally, but obviously then the minimum balance story took hold.

Nigel Farage says Coutts document shows his account was shut over his views | The Independent

Be nice obviously if he just posted the full document unredacted, rather than his interpretation of it.

• Advertisement

I'm sure we can all think of reasons why Farage might not want his banker's unedited opinions about him published to the world.

Evidently Farage is happy to let the world know that his banker thinks he is "regarded as racist and xenophobic". (Farage can't sue the bank for defamation over this because it is Farage, not the bank, that has published this claim.) If he's willing to publish that kind of stuff about himself, what must it say in the parts of the document that he's not publishing?

The problem with all of this is that it rests on "Farage says" or "Farage reckons". We're in a perfect situation of information asymmetry where the source is one of the most deceitful figures in British political history. There's more to this but it's far from certain that we'll ever know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

My guess the part where he’s no longer wealthy enough to be worth their efforts is what he probably wouldn’t want out there and would prefer to drown that out with cries of “Woke Bank! Wooooke! Cancel Culture! (I’m somewhat broke) WOOOOOOKE!”

In fairness a person’s bank balance shouldn’t be public knowledge, even with Farage, but he’s playing with fire behaving this way about being demoted to NatWest (I assume). If he were smarter about this he should have just gone to the normal bank account and not scream to the rafters about something connected to his personal data like this. Plenty other things to scream about being “Leftie” “Woke” “Marxist” (insert silly argument here)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

how would that play into his persecution complex though?

While I don't think his balance is anyone else's business, he's now potentially slandering Coutts knowing that all of the evidence is confidential. That leaves his version of events while will of course be edited to cast him as the helpless victim.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yes but it would very much benefit the private UK banks, Nigel and the tories if the PEP laws were struck down and they are drumming up the support to do that. Every BREXITEER will be thinking "they might close my accounts too". Of course the obvious solution would be to implement laws equivalent to the EU directive on basic banking services, but I doubt that is the objective.

Time will tell, but I will not be at all surprised if the PEP laws disappear at some point before the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"In an explosive 40 page memo, “Brexit” is mentioned 86 times, “Russia” 144 & “PEP” 10. "

I wonder how many times "wanker" is mentioned?

Be tricky. While Farage and his gaggle of useful idiots have been castigating the PEP laws as a jackbooted EU imposition, they in fact emanate from the Financial Action Task Force of the OECD, of which UK is a member in its own right. Participation in FATF is voluntary, so UK wouldn't be violating any treaty obligations if it withdrew, but withdrawing would do considerable damage to ithe UK's standing as a responsible and reputable player in international finance. Does UK really want to position itself as the country that withdraws from multilateral action aimed at combatting money-laundering and the financing of terrorism?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He's given himself away there.

I'd imagine if they are more concerned about his Russian connections than his views on Brexit, there is a whole other angle which he is not going into.

He could do us all a favour and upload the forty page document and let people scrawl through it instead of so kindly summarising it for us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement