Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raisin deposit accounts (no referrals)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Jim2007 wrote: »
    No not any problem, in the event of a very specific problem - a bank going bankrupt.

If a bank does bankrupt, then depositors are paid up to 100k per person from the relevant countries deposit insurance scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

JTMan wrote: »
    Raisin is not available for new Irish applicants.

On separate "Ulster Bank introducing transition charges" thread, you mentioned this. Can you please define "new applicant" as I registered with them in Jan 2016 but haven't applied to any savings products?
    Would you recommend I proceed with them? They got relatively good offers it seems: https://www.raisin.com/our-offers/

Applications were open for Irish residents for a short while after Raisin opened. I have an account with Raisin from back then and term deposits.

If you registered then, but did not do anything beyond registration, then perhaps you can open term deposits. When you log into your account can you view the list of term deposit market offerings?

The returns are great. The tax side requires extra steps. The risk is low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I just had a look there and Atlantico in Portugal was offering the best rate for 1 year. I know Raisin won't let me sign up with Irish details but I could sign up directly with Atlantico.

I haven't and I won't be but if someone does a bit more research into that , they might be happy doing it that way.

Obviously won't get the bonus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

When you log into your account can you view the list of term deposit market offerings?
    Wheety wrote: »
    I just had a look there and Atlantico in Portugal was offering the best rate for 1 year. I know Raisin won't let me sign up with Irish details but I could sign up directly with Atlantico.

Yes, I can see the offers:

rhUbex.jpg

The tax side requires extra steps.

Did you already have to go through that? What steps exactly are entailed?

Wheety wrote: »

Obviously won't get the bonus though.

What do you mean by that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Bhangraman wrote: »

What do you mean by that?

I presume the bonus here is a Raisin bonus. I don't see it on the Atlantico website.

HCllRAb.jpg

Regarding tax, the steps vary from country to country. Ireland has different tax arrangements with different countries. For Poland, and Raisin offer term deposits with Alior Bank in Poland, there are 2 tax steps. 1 you need to get a letter from Revenue before the term deposit matures stating that you are a tax resident of Ireland. This means that you will get a reduced rate of tax. 2 you need to declare the deposit interest via a form 11/12 and pay any remaining taxes which is the differential between the DIRT rate and the Polish applied reduced rate.

Going direct with any of these banks means you do not have access to the English language speaking Raisin customer care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Going direct with any of these banks means you do not have access to the English language speaking Raisin customer care.

Also it is likely that banks will not offer the same deals to direct customers than they do through Raisin (as Raisin serves a specific purpose for them).

For exemple AIB currently only pays 0.10% to its direct customers for a 1 year term deposit account: https://aib.ie/our-products/savings-and-deposits/Deposit-Rates

And they are paying 0.50% for a similar 1 year term deposit account on Raisin’s German website: https://www.weltsparen.de/angebote/aib001/?rt=1s

Yes, an Irish bank is paying 5 times more in interest to German depositors through an intermidery which takes a commission than they are paying to their direct customers in Ireland.

On the tax point, I should add that Raisin customer care are good at helping with the process in terms of documentation needed with the bank.

@Bob24 - Yeah, The Irish Times pointed this out before. AIB defended this on the basis that only a tiny percentage of their customers are via Raisin and the fact that they are experimenting with Fintech links. But yeah it's a significant difference in rates.

Hopefully Raisin find a way to operate here for new customer accounts soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

AIB defended this on the basis that only a tiny percentage of their customers are via Raisin and the fact that they are experimenting with Fintech links. But yeah it's a significant difference in rates.

Yeah as I said for them it serves a very specific purpose and they have no interest in offering the same thing they are offering on Raisin to their standard retail customers.

I assume the same would be true for most banks listed on Raisin - especially if you come in as a foreign small depositor who doesn’t speak the local language.

• Advertisement

Raisin are getting a banking license via acquiring a bank that has a license. Raisin say that this will enable expansion. Hopefully that includes Ireland.
    https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/06/raisin-acquires-mhb-bank/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Raisin are getting a banking license via acquiring a bank that has a license. Raisin say that this will enable expansion. Hopefully that includes Ireland.
    https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/06/raisin-acquires-mhb-bank/

If you know a bit about German banking and read the German text rather than the English, it comes of as more like taking over the local credit union in BallyGoBackwards.

Raisin Bank have re-launched in Ireland today.

3 banks providing products via Raisin.ie including some better-than-Irish-bank rates from J&T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Raisin Bank have re-launched in Ireland today.

3 banks providing products via Raisin.ie including some better-than-Irish-bank rates from J&T.

I’ve lodged a test €1000 a few weeks ago for 3 months - be curious to see how it turns up

Dardania wrote: »
    I’ve lodged a test €1000 a few weeks ago for 3 months - be curious to see how it turns up

Huh?

How did you do it a few weeks ago when they only launched today? (Unless you have one of their non Raisin.ie offerings)

Also, 5k is the minimum.

I have had term deposits with Raisin.com for the last 3 years. I registered before the CBI put a halt on new Irish registrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Huh?

How did you do it a few weeks ago when they only launched today? (Unless you have one of their non Raisin.ie offerings)

Also, 5k is the minimum.

I have had term deposits with Raisin.com for the last 3 years. I registered before the CBI put a halt on new Irish registrations.

Not resident in Ireland.

I think the minimum is decided on a product by product basis.

Minimums are on a bank by bank basis with the lowest on Raisin.ie being 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Twofeet

During a recent video call ID verification with Raisin Bank, I was asked to move my hand back and forth across my face with my fingers spread. I'm curious to know — should anyone have the answer — how this helps with the verification and if it's a common enough practice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have done these video call verifications with a few different companies. They all get you to do something like that. I think it's just to ensure that your face isn't a picture or a deep fake type of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Twofeet

@AlmightyCushion. Thanks for clarifying the process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement