Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭suilegorma

Quick q...how long did it take for the credit to go back on your account? I called today as I had booked using Tesco vouchers and they confirmed we would get full credit back. But that it would take three days? Boat doesn't look busy for our dates but don't want to have no booking for three days! Did you have clubcard vouchers as well? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

our rack isn't tiltable, we just access the boot through through the fold-down back seats and make sure our boat bags are at that end of the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

It was instant. The guy did it for me on the phone and I could see the excess amount as “my travel credit” while I was still on the phone. Didn’t use Tesco vouchers on this occasion

I didn’t cancel my sailing until I had a quotation number for the new one, so it meant I didn’t ever have a moment with no booking, as far as I know

I rang them to confirm before we sailed. No problem, and I can confirm all went okay. Same set up as you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

Arrived back from 10 nights in Domine Des Ormes with Eurocamp.

Ferry appeared to be only half full again on return even though car deck was full(WB Yeats).

Huge amount of Irish there on site, I would say about 90% of perople staying with Eurocamp were Irish.

I'd guess that will change over the next week or two once the UK gets their school holidays.

Good site, bar probably a little small, wouldn't like to be there at peak time.

Show GAA in the bar(through what appeared to be an IPTV dodgy box suprisingly).

Plenty of places to visit around the site.

Anyone looking to break up the journey to/from Cherbourg I recommend Alligator Bay next to Mont Saint Michel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Any feedback from those who've traveled on the Stena Vision to Cherbourg?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m in a lovely independent campsite in Dordogne region at the moment. It’s still fairly quiet here as season not in full swing yet. No pool slides or any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭suilegorma

Thanks so much! Exact same experience. I can't see us using the credit so we decided to upgrade our cabin to a club one with a window and get the speedy exit as well. Our kids won't know themselves with the luxury!!! :) thanks for your help and I will def be keeping an eye on things like this for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We headed out with BF from Rosslare two weeks ago. Stopped in Jack White's for our dinner on the way down and brought a picnic with us for the boat. Boat was fierce rocky for the first few hours. I had to take some anti-sickness tablets and go to bed. It stopped rocking about 1.30am and was grand then.

Spent a week in Des Ormes. Our first visit there since 2018 and it was brilliant. We booked with Canvas so were up the back of the campsite but still an easy walk to everything. Mostly surrounded by French but a few Irish. Kids had a ball playing soccer with our French neighbours every evening. They tried to teach them to play gaelic on the last night, ended up being a match between ourselves, French, Glaswegians & some folks from Mayo. The new Dome is amazing - kids were in their element in it. As mentioned above, the bar is tiny & dear enough, we had only one drink in it. Food options let it down too as there is only really the pizzeria and it was closed except for Takeaway most of the week. We were grand bbqing etc at the mobile. We went to the little market in St. Leonard as well on the Sunday which is good fun.

We moved to La Grande Metairie at Carnac then for a few nights. Lovely site, pitches are a lot more compact than in Des Ormes & there was no space for the kids to play football at the pitch. But it has a lovely pool area, staff were all lovely & it's close enough to Carnac for the beach etc.

Back home via the WB Yeats - felt like they were jamming the cars on but then the ferry felt quite empty when we were on it. Need to prep better for the food options on the way home as we ate on the boat & it wasn't great.

Already making plans for next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

Has the mobile signal or even the wifi improved onsite in Le Grande Metarie yet?

The female members of my group found the market in St. Leonard a bit disappointing compared to the market in Carnac, only took them 10 minutes to browse through stalls where as the market we had visited in Carnac when he had stayed a couple of times was a signifantly bigger.

Wasn't a big fan of the Dome in Des Ormes, felt too "Centreparcs" to me, prefer an outdoor pool complex but i can inderstand why it was built with Brittany weather.

No, it's still desperate, but didn't bother us.

We didn't do the market in Carnac but the size of St. Leonard was grand for us. I'd run around the village a couple of times during the week so wasn't expecting much, given the size and general sleepiness of it.

The Dome is very Centre-Parcs but last time we were there, it rained for the entire week so I would be loath to go somewhere that doesn't have some sort of indoor pool. And to be honest, the outdoor pool was still quite cold...our smallest was shivering coming out of it so we were glad to be able to swap over to the Dome some of the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭corkgirl17

Just back from Sandaya Sequoia Parc. Have to say the site is fab, stayed in a premium lodge in the funny forest which was great. Little playground where all the children congregated was nice. The pool was great and everything in general lovely. The one big issue was mosquito's!! We were eaten alive and we had every sort of anti mosquito paraphernalia you could get. So we are thinking of a different site next year. Hear good things about La Litterol and La Pin Parasol. Anyone have any reviews on either of these? Any places to go that had good facilities for kids and less mosquito's?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Just a little warning to anyone driving in France.

I just got a speeding ticket (€45) in the post today for doing 98km/h in an 80 zone at 10:30pm on the way home from dinner in Les Sables d'Olonne two weeks ago.

I always wrongly assumed that those speed cameras couldn't do anything for cars registered in another country.

This happen to anyone else?

There's every chance I got caught again on the motorway on the way back to Roscoff. Had to up the ante a bit as we encountered 4 separate accidents on the way & ended up taking three hours longer than expected.

We were in Le Pin Parasol in the last week in June. Our first campsite holiday so I have nothing to compare it with but personally I thought it was a really nice place.

They have two separate areas - the original one and a newer section called Nature & Sens, where the accommodation is more spaced out and houses most of the "premium" type mobiles. There's a lovely quieter pool area in the newer section, while the other section has the slides and a little pool for the 2-5 year olds. Most of the pools are heated as well which made a big difference.

The website says the kids club is only open on certain days outside of July & August but it was open every day (10-12 and 3-5) while we were there and my two girls went most days in the morning.

The only thing which wasn't great in my opinion was the restaurants onsite. I would deffo go back though.

Have heard good things about Le Littoral though and a friend of mine was in Les Grands Pins in Lacanau (another Yelloh site) and was very impressed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

How long do you have to pay it before it increases? We got flashed by a camera around Lille last week and I assumed that we'd never hear about it. We've been caught at least twice in previous years and nothing ever arrived.

The letter says 46 days from today before it increases to €68. After 76 days it goes up to €180.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭browne_rob5

There is a speed camera directly outside Les Ormes and we got a ticket. Seems like most of the people staying there have got a ticket also. It happened on 21/06 and the letter arrived yesterday.

Thanks gaillimh for that! Trying to decide whether to do France again or perhaps head to the Canaries. Prices in France are creeping up and it's now more expensive than doing 2 weeks in Spain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hi everyone, the Auchan Hypermarche in Cherbourg's wine isle is halved. They have much less wine than last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m in my fifth visit to le littoral which probably tells you all you need to know about what we think of it. No mosquito issues here. It’s by the coast so there’s a fresh breeze most days which is nice.

Pretty much no complaints, campsite is very safe (has security), shows sports/GAA, resteraunt is fine (you can get takeaway). Close to a Lidl and super U. A bigger town up the road is lovely and a circa 8km cycle.

The cycle on the coast is really nice. Plenty to do , kids clubs for all ages but I’d say it’s more catered for under 13s. Never encountered any trouble here and generally it settles down after 12 at night.

We are probably coming back again next year even though our eldest has aged out and our middle one is getting there. We all enjoy it here, are comfortable and the level of quality has never been in question. Staff are friendly and I’m not sure what else you’d want from a place like this.

One suggestion is to get up to Puys De Fuis. It’s an hour drive but it’s so worth it. Don’t watch clips of the shows, best to know nothing going to it. It’s basically a theme park, but instead of rides it’s kind of like 20-30 minute shows.

Theres beaches along the coast to La sable d’olonne but we stopped at the first one just outside the town. It’s smaller but just right for what we wanted and it has some small resteraunt/cafes looking onto the sea.

Theres other stuff to explore but I’d endorse this spot.

Post edited by Drumpot on

Thanks Drumpot, appreciate the review!! Must do some serious thinking

If you're looking at Spain - I would highly recommend Port de Pollenca in Majorca. Very different from a campsite holiday but lovely beach, lots of apartments with pools and lovely restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Another +1 , for Le Littoral. Spend 3 years in a row going there. Not to big and not too small and caters for everyone. surrounding area was great to explore and walks and drives on the coast were great. also no midgies

Was going to post this! I'd say they are making a killing off that one as the speed limit drops to 70 and the camera is just up the road after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭airy fairy

BF to Roscoff the other week, first time with the dog. Awful experience. No place for toileting, except the square piece of ground allocated near the kennels. No fake grass, nothing. And of course some owners with male dogs leaving them urinate all over the area,a hose provided not used to wash down. In fact one owner happy out to leave his dog raise his leg several times on the hose.

Our female young dog was distressed for the journey, that was more her being seperated from us than poor kennels. For the price we paid, a larger walking area could be provided, a 5msq area on a 14 hour sailing is poor. Trained dogs colour f it hard for toileting.

Stayed in Pin Parasol, couldn't fault it. Except maybe the loud Irish that take over the bar for GAA. Not everyone is into GAA!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Nearing the end of the trip here in Carnac and it's absolutely miserable weather this afternoon. Piddling rain since about 2pm.but due to clear up later in time for the fireworks.

We're giving serious consideration to come back here again next year but this time with the bikes so we can do a good bit more sightseeing and day trips. The area has so much to offer, albeit the weather can be dodgy at this time of year.

Managed to charge the EV down near the beach the other day. The bonus is that the EV bays are exempt from parking fees! All very simple using the Chargemap card.

We went to La Trinité-sur-Mer yesterday. Nice stroll followed by a browse through the shops, lunch and then a stroll back. Very manageable in the low 20s.

Big exodus of Irish cars over the last hour so looks like a load of people making the dash up to Roscoff for the ferry back to Cork tonight. Let's see if there's an influx of Irish cars with new guests today. Might see some more people arrive from the IF Cherbourg route tomorrow. Definitely a lot more Irish people here than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

We are heading back to Normandy tomorrow for three nights after a week in the Dordogne. 33 this afternoon with a breeze - it’s lovely. Mostly Dutch on this site. Few enough Irish this far south.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hi, I'm looking for a resort that would allow me to pick the exact chalet at the time of booking. We like to go away with 3 other families, Sanguli and Cambrilis allowed us to pick adjacent sites on their booking site (like you'd pick seats on a plane). Anyone know of any other sites that use similar booking systems?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not aware of that being offered by Eurocamp but if you give them your booking reference number along with the booking numbers and family names of the people you're travelling with, they'll do their best to accommodate you, assuming you're all in the same style of mobile home

Advertisement