Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

So is the RTE staffer that returned the car the other day male or female?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

So you don't like it? then don't watch it

Im sure you like plenty of tv programs I don't like but I certainly don't feel the need to moan about them online. It still is one of the highest rating programs in Ireland every year. Give the people what they want

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You and I both paid for it. I'll moan all I want about it!

The bill for that musical lands somewhere. The money gets slashed out of other useful budgets and ultimately it lands on all of our door mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's coming back to me 😁

THE state training agency FAS paid almost €9,000 for a "missing car" which was due to be given away as a raffle prize.

The Toyota Yaris was displayed during its FAS Opportunities Fair in 2000 and large numbers of students and job seekers entered the raffle in the hope of winning it. But it was never given away. FAS confirmed last night that it was unable to track down the car, which cost €8,888 (IR£7,000).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

Ryan is a kind soul who guided us through the pandemic. He didn't deserve to be thrown in front of the bus by the rte board.They stabbed him in the back

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

Question might be answered but any PAC tv coverage today? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The Oireachtas hearings will continue until morale improves...

They should continue until all info is in place and then fire people. You can't act like this and your job be retainable. That's what needs to happen here. A message needs to be sent for the health and reputation of RTE. If you receive under the counter payments and loss 2 million, you get fired because the way your behaving and doing your job is not good enough.

I mean how can someone like Ray Darcy be producing those rating figures and still be getting that kind of money. Surely, the next step, is performance related contracts at presenter level?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There was a time when troll accounts put a bit of subtlety into their posts, this is just downright lazy. 1/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,099 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Incredible way to do it. Its like someone booby trapped the hundreds of thousands of euros isnt it?

But the kind soul never thought to defuse it by declaring it or donating it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wonder did Toy Show The Musical also get Covid funding?

The whole thing is such a mess. At the very time when quality, solid, trustworthy PSB broadcasting is probably more important than ever, we have a massive scandal that has done enormous damage.

Obviously there's going to have to be an absolutely profound reform of PSB here. We can't just say lessons have learned and move forward. There needs to be a complete restructure.

The concept of independent, public service broadcasting or at least programme making is hugely useful and plays a big role, but the institution that is RTE may not necessarily be how to continue that.

Even the concept of linear channels with schedules is becoming irrelevant and far more rapidly than many commentators realise. A lot is going to change in the next few years because of rapidly evolving tech.

If we get a reform of PSB right, we could put it on a good track for the next half century. If we get it wrong we will probably be looking back with nostalgia with nothing only platforms totally dominated by media moguls and tech bros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If by performance related contracts you mean that they either hit a viewing figure or get fired, absolutely not. It'd be a race to the bottom of absolute trash TV. It'd be the antithesis of public service broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

I wonder what Marty Morrissey makes of it all?

A popular journalist and presenter, gets a bit of fill in work when Ryan is away and is said to be a close friend of incoming DG, Kevin Bakhurst, from his stint here as Director of News.

There'll be winners where there are losers......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Of course he does. He'll ask them to send a list of the questions they want answers to. It will take them a week to send that to him. He will then run that by his solicitor. After another week or so the solicitor will write back asking for clarification on a few things. The politicians will at this stage be away on their holliers. Sometme maybe in September they will get back to the solicitor who may be on his own holidays by then . Factor in Tubs taking a bit of a holiday, a month or so, and there's every chance some of the questions may get answered late November early December. That's about it. If Tubs is interested my fee for that advice is €500( which is around 10% of what some PR chancer would charge)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

There was an article in the independent that they want to put anton Savage into that slot, more nepotism. Hopefully they keep on Callan, anton Savage in insufferable on newstalk sitting in for ciaran cuddihy now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

It's in the link I provided. It's the 11th video down the chain (all 5hrs & 49 mins)

Nobody mentioned anything about being fired in relation to broadcasting? Did they? Performance related are usually bonus based contracts - it would based around standards of performance and hitting figures. I wouldn’t share such a dismissive attitude towards what an audience wants either. RTE is in a position to produce journalistic and political/cultural/arts programming. It’s not trying to make as much money as possible or just entertain - that’s always been very clear. It’s a national broadcaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭creedp

I wonder are they using the same storage use for another public folly, e-voting machines

• Registered Users Posts: 30,099 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If they are paying Tubridy his job should be to mind those sets during the day. No phone no books just RTE radio 1 ...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Tbh the storage fees of 8 grand a year are rather minuscule for what are probably big lumps of sets - sound like what you'd expect for a storage unit of that size, although surely there has to be storage space on the RTE campus?... I mean they regularly handle sets...

The bigger picture however and overall project cost is mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Did someone in RTE say to Tubs, appear on front of the oireachtas committees or you won't work here again?

I really can't see any benefit coming from this except saving his career with RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

It would also be interesting to see who exactly owns the storage facility and if they are in any way connected to any RTE staff.

Bakhurst says the reconstitution starts on Monday. If it's not an entirely new board with new protocols and laws around public money and how it's spent, then it's already a failure. He shouldn't be in this position. He is a hire by this board - it's the person they know and want, not the person RTE needs. It's a joke.

noun

noun: reconstitution; plural noun: reconstitutions

1. 1.
    2. the action of building something up again; reconstruction.
    3. "the rapid reconstitution of the military fleet after an attack"
    • the action of changing the form and organization of an institution.
    • "the reconstitution of the company brought further changes"
    1. 2.
    2. the process of restoring something dried to its original state by adding water to it.
    3. "water for reconstitution of dehydrated foods"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

I think she looks a bit like pat kenny if you squint a bit 🤔

I'd agree on this, I was genuinely surprised it was that low (relatively).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've just read the AH thread about TSTM.

I thought the plot posted here was a joke, but fcuk me - a story about a dead mother for a Christmas musical? And they thought it would work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement