Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing BBC Channels on Free to Air box

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Recheck your F connector as in remove it from tv and is the cable loose in the fitting and centre core is not touching the side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Hi,

I've been trying for the last 3 weekends to get this sorted.

I have added all the transponders noted in the lyngsat list and have done auto and manual scan. I can get all the ITV/Ch4 etc type channels but nothing for BBC. I get 57 channels and 1 radio in auto scan. This should be at least 2-3 times this afaik.

Disconnected the dish lead to tv and did scan to clear list and then retune. Same result.

LG webos tv lh590v hd tv - about 5-6 years old. Is this my issue, as in do I need an external set-top box?

Have scanned this TV many times before and it usually is a 5 minute job. My head is wrecked. 😭

Any help really welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

With only 57 channels, you might be able to list the transponders you are getting those signals on? There is a known LNB fault which can result in only Horizontal or only Vertical being received. But is looks like some general fault has developed with your dish/LNB/cabling. Have you got a menu to see the signal readings, Strength / Quality ?

Some of the BBC's should be among the strongest if you had them, like BBC One NI HD on 10847 V.

Do you happen to have Sky Q service as that uses a different Lnb and will get reduced channels.

I can see signal strength and quality good for bbc transponder but when scan goes through, nothing.

No sky Q. Standard FTA is all I ever had.

Very frustrating..... I know it is something simple but just can't suss it out yet.....

• Advertisement

Are you doing a full automatic scan of the sat , what box are you using and what signal and quality are you getting.

On my Enigma 2 box it is in the 90+

Doing a full automatic and manual scan.

No set top box, Doing through tv.

Signal and quality shows up as good before scan but nothing comes in for bbc only. Have added the new transponders as per list.

Could the lnb too old to pick up the channels. 10 years approx. If so how is it picking up itv etc?

Wrecking my head.....

Post edited by rayjdav on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Can you borrow a sat box from anybody and can you reach dish easily? Is it in good nick, any trees!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Looks likely

Are you checking the Hd channels on the tv as many channels are moving from sd to hd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭POBox19

I don't know if this helps, but LG suggest to clear the memory by disconnecting the antenna before running a search and then start again. Anyway hope it works for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-jVlR3-KQ0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

but in fairness i did get them all from astra 1, try it

I have Astra 1, and about two dozen other satellites on a motorised dish. It is at 19 East, the channels you have are coming from 28 East, Astra 2.

Read the explanation in post #146.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Don't know what I did with my FTA box but I've lost all the BBC,itv channels. I've done auto search, manual search etc to no avail. Any simple steps to get them back?

10847 V which includes BBC One Northern Ireland HD is the strongest transponder I have. Go into your menu and see what are the signal readings on that one. If there are strong signal readings, there is no reason that the channels won't come in if you do a single transponder scan.

https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

So what satellite do I choose eg Astra 1Kr, Astra 3B?

The one you had the channels on before they disappeared, the one in the link I put, Astra 2 at 28 East.

Sorry, I know it's me but the only satellites coming up are ASTRA 1KR, ASTRA 3B, TELSTAR 12, Intersat 907.

Right now the only satellite channel getting are CHANNEL 4, ITV.

Which satellite from that list are you getting Channel 4 on? What make is your FTA box?

Just in case your TV also has a satellite tuner, you could plug the cable from the dish directly into the TV and tune in Astra 2 channels that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

So it sounds like you have deleted the Astra 2 entry. Just pick one satellite name and do a Blind scan or a Network scan on that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I bought a new Samsung TV to upgrade a 2012 one that was getting a bit iffy. On the old one, I tuned it for the UK to get Freesat, and had to move the Saorview channels from their 800 location to the normal Saorview locations :- 1, 2, etc.

On the new one, I tuned in Freesat and the Saorview channels. However, it is impossible to renumber the Sorview channels and they have random numbers in the 800s.

Samsung were very helpful, but there is nothing that can be done, and no advice as to how to resolve the issue. [Except perhaps do not buy a Samsung TV].

So, I assume I need to tune it for location Ireland and tune the sat channels, delete those that are duplicated, and renumber them and reorder them. What a PIA.

Is there anyway I can shorten the torture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its still nothing short of a pain but Chansort allows you to download your tuned channels and then renumber them on a PC. Once you have them in the order you want you can upload the sorted list. Additional pain is redoing every time there are channel frequency changes. But it works for me. Takes a bit of getting used to the interface so save incrementally as you go along.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Which is better - to use Freesat or Saorvew as the base? That is set the TV to Ireland or UK?

I never bother with half the features. Just suck the data out of the TV dump it into chansort (unpopulated) and then laboriously go through a list of channels online (I use a Freesat list) and reset my differently numbered channels accordingly.

OK, so I export my Freesat list to chansort and reconfigure the TV to Ireland, and scan for Saorview and Satellite, then import the Freesat channel list previously saved/ Would that work?

Do a channel search on your TV so you have a massive list of channels all with different numbers. I start with that import it into channel sort and then move the channels around so they are in an order that suits me iirc last time I used a Freesat list like this https://freesat.ie/pages/channel-list and renumbered the channels starting at 101 for BBC1 and using below 100 for anything non standard I found (+ channels - plus one hour). You'll have a load of BBC 1 regional channels you don't need and have to pick one you like. Where you put the rest is up to you.

Its frustrating and you will probably mess it up the first time and miss/forget something and there is some trick I have in my mind that you need to learn to get it to reorder correctly. iirc you need to start a fresh import and enable channel swap on the menu so if you are renaming a BBC 1 channel from say channel no 345 to 101 then whats already at 101 moves to 345. Otherwise you end up all over the place. What ever is left over you can hid if you want to.

OK, I will try that.

I could not find any renumber function that the e-manual talks about.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

You just highlight the channel number and type whatever you want. Then the number you type becomes that channel number and the channel previously with that number gets the number of the channel you just renumbered. Or at least thats the twisted way I use it ;-)

@The Continental Op

I cannot appear to understand the link to chansort - or how to use it.

How do I launch it? Help!

• Advertisement

I actually worked it out, but I found it laborious, but I probably did not do it the best way.

I now have Freesat, and the Saorview channels listed as they normally are - at least the important ones. I did not bother with the radio ones yet.

If I get a free week, I will try again.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

but I found it laborious

I think I gave you fair warning ;-)

Well, I now have it working OK, but it is not easy to change from Saorview to Freesat. It is really clunky.

Is there a way to have both in one list?

Interesting thing about the new Samsung TV is that the remote has a solar panel on the back, and rechargeable batteries inside.

I was to remember to leave it exposed to the sunshine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Sorry I missed this thread,it would have maybe saved overlapping and repeating stuff.

The BBC freq changes also and Sky's response effectively Killed some SKy+HD boxes,and LNBs, as discussed here.

I did find it possible to get round this and keep Sky+ HD box going but it's been a torturous route and filled with many folk morphing into many other apparent faults,real and imagined..It did lead me to dig out my old FTA box which may be the best way forward without having to sign up for 18 months to get a "Free" Sky Q box and lnb.

The Sky+HD problems are maybe best left on the other thread as FTA can be considered a different path.

Worth noteing that the on screen display of No signal may have resulted in some paying for a Sky "Engineers " costly visit when it could be argued there actually is a sig, just one the box isn't seeing,the switch down to Sky.

Similar ploy perhaps as discuss on a thread when they moved CNN to the edge of frequencies resulting in loss of sig if dish alignment slightly off,but still a signal present on other channels. When Sky was called they insisted an engineering visit was required if display indicated no sig. As long as money can be made, the public may have to put up with all this.

Apart from the sensible folk in these parts who go straight to FTA.Thanks.

How can Sky kill a Lnb ?

Channels moving should be a network scan for new TPS and a rescan is it not.

Anyway, all sorted now. It took time plus a lot of learning.

Is there some reason why Freesat, and Saorview cannot co-exist on the one channel list?

Can Satellite and Saorview co-exist on one channel list?

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Saorview (Freeview) and Freesat are two separate EPGs when TVs are in UK Country mode

Walker TVs can have One channel list, but that's Saorview & FTA (not Freesat)

Could I setup the TV to have Saorview and Satellite as a single list if I set the TV to Ireland location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭amandstu

I seem to have lost BBC2.

Can anyone point me to the latest list of settings that would include that station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's a thread on the top of the front page that lists all the frequencies.

Any movement on channels will be seen here in RED for the latest movers.

https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

BBC Two HD England 10847 V 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

BBC Two HD Wales 10818 V 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

BBC Two HD NI 10773 H 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

BBC Two SD 10803 H 22000 5/6 DVB-S QPSK

Please note: BBC have not made any changes since last March. The next planned change is the ending of SD services in March 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Hi,

Just wondering if this is a fault on my part but I used to get the BBC and ITV channels via an old sky dish. Suddenly a few months all seem to vanish.

I bought a new lnb or whatever it's called, replaced the old one but is still blank.

Is this just the case of a re-tune from what I'm reading here ... I've no box downstairs so that used to get the BBC channels and ITV...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The BBCs changed in early March this year to allow for HD regional variations. I dont think ITV made any frequency changes this year. The last change to ITV was when ITV2, 3 and 4 HD went FTA last November.

If you are missing a lot of channels it could be water in the coax, the dish has moved or something (tree or shrub) blocking the dish's view of the sky.

This lists all the free channels a working dish can receive. https://en.kingofsat.net/tv.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Thread on this Sky+hd boxes dying or being killed?

You may have bought or been sold the wrong LNB. Modern ones are for Sky Q,and as discussed will not work with old sky+HD boxes,but there is a fix,as discussed also on the other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Perhaps my old lnb does work but I may have been trying to get onto a BBC channel. I may put it back and try again.

There's no obstacles and I doubt the cable is wet. It looked fine.

Is there a guide of sorts to getting the right position for the dish. I used to have to move it slightly after heavy wind. But I stopped that by just tightening up all the screws.

Since the lack of BBC I was messing a bit with the dish. I now am not sure if it's pointing exactly right...I know there's a little bit of tolerance on it but I may be out of that range. Maybe it'll take a bit of trial and error....at least if I have it on an ITV station I'll know I guess.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Even a cheap satellite meter will help a lot in re-aligning a dish. Much, much more difficult to do so without a meter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement