Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2023 Transfer Window - [Excluding Transfers to Saudi Arabia 25.07.23]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

To be fair, Liverpool had a barely functioning midfield to overhaul and are coming from 5th.

Arsenal finished second and have improved their starting 11 again.

Arteta should have that side competing on multiple fronts. He’s been seriously backed by the club, the title challenge last season was surprising but that’s the standard now.

He’s done a great job with Arsenal so far and it’s not like he’ll be sacked whatever happens next season but to try and give him a pass simply because City exist is a bit much imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

Thats all fair.

Havent see anyone giving him a pass though, just the same fella regurgitating the same lines all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Arsenal have spend nearly 200m this summer, Liverpool are around 100m.

I wonder what the average spend per year is between Arteta and Klopp is though. Obviously Klopp is there 4 years (?) longer than Arteta so has probably spent more overall. Could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Exactly, why would we focus in on one particular window and ignore how much has been spent in total accumulating that squad of players?

People go mad when trying to spin together logic to find a narrative, to make a particular point they want to make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

But as I previously mentioned people will just quote the highest figure they can... As nicely demonstrated by Fitz 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No, as I clearly said, Liverpool should be better than last year- the opposite to continue to be bad, unless you compare not competing with City as being bad, which would indeed not make obvious sense - as every team would have been bad last season outside of Arsenal in that case.

I would like to think that Liverpool will indeed challenge City next year, however, Arsenal, given they challenged last year and have spent so much, should be in a far better position to challenge. That's fair to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if you think Arsenal's spending over the last 2 or 3 years is the same as Liverpool's, then grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Or people will 'just try and quote the lowest figure they can', as ye have demonstrated.

It's pretty clear what happened over the course of the transfer. Mount wanted wages parity with Chelsea's highest earners such as Reece James. He wasn't offered it and went into a stand-off with Chelsea and eventually decided to leave. That's been reported on by journos affiliated with Chelsea. And one has put the number of 250k +50k out there. This wages ties in with the same money as Reece James was given.

Man United were prepared to offer the money that he wanted, and so he moved there. Man United are also trying to put out this new image that they won't hand out guaranteed big money contracts anymore after the likes of Sanchez, DDG, Ronaldo etc, let alone the Henderson, Martial, Shaw etc stuff over the years. Of course journos associated with the club are going to want to relay that image of not giving big money contracts straightaway and so will tow the line of the lower number. One journo has put out the 200k + 50k figure out there as a result, a week after the other report.

This 200k number is meant to be the new base figure Man United want to be known now. But Rashford needs a new contract and is already earning that figure as it is, and will be expecting an increase..... (200k base + 50k bonus according to Jamie Jackson, the Man Utd reporter, in 2019)

I have no idea what Pools spending is.... just a simple question

• Advertisement

Liverpool's spending over the last 5 years (summer 2019 - present) on permanent transfers of senior players is €420m.

Liverpool's spending over the last 5 years (summer 2019 - present) on permanent transfers of senior players is €676m. That is before Rice (€117m) and Timber (€42m) are factored in. So the total should be €835m soon.

Both are incomings transfers only and fees are all from transfermarkt. Arsenal have spent close to double of what Liverpool spent.

big difference alright.

So is the general consensus then because of this that Arsenal are clearly have the best or second best team? or just one guys opinion?

To be honest, i would match Arsenals starting 11 up against any other team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think the logical view is that if a team comes second last year having lead for a good period of the season and Then spends as much as Arsenal did, then yes, they should provide a challenge to the top of the league the following year.

I don't think that is in any way controversial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pep started out with a title winning squad. Arteta started out with a shambolic mess. The 2 are not the same.

Pep has never gone out and taken on a club in a state of decline or even inertia. He's gone to superclubs with all the components in place for him to mop up trophies. To compare the 2 is complete bollox

That's not controversial, but it's also very much an ill informed and very basic black and white way of looking at things.

Had arsenal won the league we'd be getting excuses of Chelsea's messy, Liverpool underperforming etc

How is expecting a team that challenged last year, spent alot on improving their squad in the summer and expecting them to challenge this year ill informed?

Had they won last year, they would have deserved it.

The goldenmiller was so sure no player would want to leave the ac Milan family

Yes they would, but people like to **** on winners and make excuses for them. Leicester only won because others were crap was one example rather than they won because they were the best team.

But he's ignoring the elephant in the room that the other teams are also improving

Liverpool had a title winning team. They wouldnt be expected to be spending as much as they should be in the maintaining phase, which they failed to do adequately and are now having to spend big as a result again.

Arsenal can afford to spend, because they're probably the best run club in the league. It's all well within their means.

obviously they are not the same. who in Christ's name said they were the same? City are cheats, Arsenal have worked their way to this point through sacrificing immediate winning in the past, for a set future with the new stadium. and fair fúcks to them. nothing I have said contradicts that. they are great, and Arteta has done a superb job up to a point.

but in the context of Arsenal actually competing right now, it's actually serving as a convenient excuse. Arteta has had full control over shaping that squad. he's turfed out the wrong-uns and brought in his players to the tune of about £600m over 3 years. at some point, he has to be expected to at least make a proper challenge and/or win a trophy. the FA Cup he won was superb, but that was a very different incarnation of what he has now.

because if he can't win, or if we're saying Arsenal have barely a puncher's chance, with how much money he is getting (completely above board) and how much control he has had for three years, then we're effectively saying that absolutely nobody has a fighting chance against City.

Liverpool had a title winning team built on less money than Arteta has had. which is obviously fine. Arsenal's spend is not an issue in the same way City's is because of where City's comes from, the cheating etc. I've been clear on that.

but when do we think Arsenal properly push City then? Or when should they be expected to? Or are we simply saying it's not possible until the tandem of Pep + cheating money is broken?

• Advertisement

Again, how is expecting a team to challenge, based on challenging last year and improving their squad by spending what they've spent, an ill informed way of looking at things?

The market has become inflated since..Liverpool broke the record for goalkeeper and defender. Saying they spent less, when less got you more only a few season ago is again a bit disingenuous of the facts

i'm not interested in an Arteta's build v Klopp's build rabbit hole. we'll bore people with net spend, X players were really crap, Y owners did this etc and we'll never agree. it's pointless.

if you don't think there should be significant pressure on Arteta to deliver trophies or be very close to City, that's your call as a fan. i think the backing he has had is remarkable season-on-season, and expectations should correlate with that. they would for any other big club.

Jurrien Timber now on the verge of being announced too it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

There's definitely expectation on Arteta to deliver now. He's been backed fully and it's his own team.

But I still don't have expect anyone except City to win the FA Cup or premier league next season.

So second in the league and far in the champions league would be him delivering. I wouldn't expect them to do anything in the Fa Cup as their squad is still a bit light.

Even signing Rice is just replacing xhaka with a younger and more long term signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Pool were in far better shape than Arsenal 5 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

As ever, wages are the main indicator of success, not transfer spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting to hear PSG say they won't let Mbappe go for nothing next summer.

Despite the fact that they can't stop that happening if he doesn't leave this summer, it certainly makes things interesting now. Will Madrid stump up the cash this summer? Will he stay ?

PSG don’t really have the power they would like us to think they do. They can neither make him stay nor make him leave. If Mbappe wants to stay and leave next summer, that’s what he’ll do ultimately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I wonder will they let him rot in the reserves for the season if he does neither option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Big difference for Arsenal this season is that they'll be juggling the Premier League challenge with a return to the Champions League. You'd expect those games to be a lot tougher than PSV Eindhoven, Bodø/Glimt and Zürich from the Europa League last season. Timber would be a very good addition in that it seemed to be one defensive injury that played a part in the fall off in results.

Haha, there’ll conveniently be a temporary reconciliation in that instance. Mbappe has all the power and seems like he is going to use every bit of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's a come and get him line for Real Madrid is all - Real could be tempted as they have to cover the striker position somehow and they love to be seen as signing the worlds best.

If he doesn't move it will be all "I'm completely focused on PSG and winning here" for the next few months and then move to Real for free.

I think PSG are right to try and open the discussion now - Mbappe is going either way. Might as well get something this summer and move on with building a new team without Mbappe and Messi (maybe Neymar as well)

This was the Arsenal team in 2019

This was Liverpool

I would say Arsenal have done fairly well to get themselves above Liverpool in just 4 seasons and spending just 250m more looking at those teams.

There is nobody from that Arsenal team still a starter for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Yeah they were changing 7 & 8 players in groups last season. Then in the knockout against sporting lost saliba & tomiasu for the season in the one game. Tomiasu arguably the bigger impact as white could've went back to CB instead of Holding.

Strengthened the squad out since January but it'll be interesting to see with who leaves will that still be the case, xhaka & partey supposed to be going, the were rumours of Tierney too but haven't seen anything lately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Xhaka off now Rice is confirmed. Really turned things around in the last year or so. A decent fee received for him too given his age and he's in the final year of his contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Deub

I think the sticky point is the 80m fidelity bonus. If he stays at PSG, he will get 80m bonus and will leave free next summer. However, if the player decide to move, he will lose the bonus. In a nutshell, Mbappe is just waiting for PSG to make the first step in the sale process so he can get the bonus. Hence, his communication of “I have still 1 year and will play at PSG”. PSG are really between a rock and a hard place..

I don't think anyone is arguing that they haven't done extremely well.

the only question is whether they should be winning now, or how close they should be expect to push City, which is a depressing question, because we all seem to be admitting that City are uncatchable. Because if Arsenal can't do it, I'm not sure who should be expected to.

Liverpool - rebuilding. may click this season, may not. older players declining and being phased out for new ones etc.

Chelsea - who knows? it's a crazy place at the moment. they've some wonderful players, but it's a lot to ask.

Utd - Ten Hag doesn't have free reign. They spend, but he can't seem to get rid of players and efficiently mould his squad the same way Arteta and Pep seem to be able/allowed to.

Newcastle - not yet, obviously.

Spurs are Spurs.

Arsenal - a manager being given money and free reign over a young, talented, improving squad.

Logically, Arsenal are the only ones that should have a real chance, and if they don't, the league is fúcked again.

Last year Man City* were 4/7 and Arsenal were 50/1, an out-with-the-washing price.

This year Man City* are 4/5 and Arsenal are second favourites at 6/1. Clearly many people think they've improved. This season Arsenal host Man City* in week 8 of the league, after they have already played both Man Utd and Spurs. These latter two fixtures are also straight after CL ties, so we should know pretty early whether this team strengthening has paid off or not.

I think the * next to Man City everytime their name is written looks a bit childish to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

• Advertisement

I was at Wembley in 1999, not in their end, when 5 minutes of injury time was added on for no logical reason at all.

A lot of their fans had left the stadium at 2-0 to the Gills, allegedly including some famous rock stars!

I find it incredulous that that club turned itself into its current entity based on purely legal revenue routes.

So I'll * away until they're cleared (if my keyboard lasts that long, as they have some powerful lawyers on retainers already)

You can * away to your hearts content, just think it looks a bit childish. I think everyones opinion on Man City is well and truly formed at this stage.

The mbappe situation just shows that players have all the power. They can hold the clubs to ransom when it comes to running down contracts.

I think it would be better for Madrid to use 50 or 60mill now to sign a proper No9 like Martinez from Inter, then take mbappe free next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Man Utd has apparently made a 2nd bid for Onana coming to 50m euro including add ons. Inter originally wanted 60, soo it looks like this will get done even if they negotiate and Utd add in another 5m or so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Spurs are Spurs.

Ah come on man! No need for that 🤣

Bayer Leverkusen's transfer business is a bit weird this summer. Have brought in 2 x 30 year olds now for decent-big fees, and a young full back. The spending is kind of out of sync with other years too.

Maybe Alonso inherited one of his old managers tendencies to sign older players?

Real Madrid have just announced Arda Güler too.

I haven't seen him play but apparently highly rated 18yr old who a lot of clubs were chasing.

They seem to be forming a very good team based on youth.

That is it really. They are up against a juggernaut who doesn't play by the rules.

Same thing that happened to Liverpool couple of years back.

They can have an amazing season and fail to win the title because you are essentially one of the other riders trying to chase down Lance Armstrong while he's doped to his eyeballs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement