Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads the rain is biblical in cork City - just drove N40 to Bishopstown - visibility is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Banarol

There is nothing biblical about the rain here in Mid Tipp. Just ordinary rain since 10 this morning. Temperature about 13 degrees. Fairly breezy too making it feel cold if you’re out and about with the rain driving into you. All this on the 6th of July. Isn’t the winter long enough besides getting it in July? Anyway nothing can be done, the charts are disastrous for the foreseeable unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 33,539 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been a heavy drizzle in North Donegal for last 4 hours or so.

Depressing looking out at that. I fear summer has already been and gone this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Very windy in Meath. Not much rain. Made attempts to rain - drizzle - but stopped again.....in this wind.

Dull and dark 15⁰

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Bit warmer tomorrow at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Definitely one of the most depressing spells of summer weather in recent memory for me. Roll on the end of the month, my holiday to the sun can't come quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CaboRoig

It is rotten since around noon today in Laois. Constant rain varying from light to quite heavy at times and it's now very windy too.

I have spoken to a few friends recently who have come back from foreign holidays. 2 said the heat was unbearable, and they spent a lot of time indoors in the Aircon.

Got me thinking, which is worse. Constant high heat or constant drizzle. It would be a tough choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Jeez, there's a lot of misery in this thread about the weather and it being the end of summer! I'm on leave this week and was expecting it to be a lot worse. Today is not great to be fair in Kildare, but tomorrow hopefully becoming warmer and sunny again. I found it quite pleasant between some small showers throughout the week.

Only being negative as the weather outside is absolutely miserable. And has been for about a week now. Lots of rain, and often for hours on end. When you have a house of kids who can't get out, yes it is easy to be negative.

• Advertisement

Rain

Rainfall over the past week was concentrated mainly in the northern half of the country and in the midlands, with two and a half the average rainfall recorded in the north while only a third to half of the average rainfall was recorded in the south and southeast. The driest station was Johnstown Castle which measured 5.6mm (34% of average) while the wettest station was Malin Head which measured 44.7mm (257% of average). The next seven days are expected to be very wet with showers and longer spells of rain. Current indications suggest rainfall could be 1.5 to 4 times the average over the coming week in all areas, wettest in the west and north.

Hard to see from a photo what rain is actually like, but took this snapshot.

It's been like this for 5hrs now, not a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's literally July 2020 déjà vu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Well it depends on location TBF, im sure Kildare is not getting it as bad as the north west.

Tomorrow may be getting warmer, but looking like plenty of cloud and rain with it, especially for the western half.

Five hours of non stop driving rain and heavy winds here in Cork City. Relentless. My poor garden is going to be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Travelled a lot the last month in glorious hot and sunny weather. Can assure you for me at least it’s far more preferable than this absolute abomination we have at the moment. 13 degrees and spilling rain!

Yeah, as much as we are used to having sh1t weather in July and August here, I often wonder how many tourists come here, get p1ssed on, have temps of 13c and think, "ill not be coming back to this place again ".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

About 2 weeks ago I was posting nasty looking GFS charts pointing to an obvious decline for July and I think a few people thought I was having a laugh. Unfortunately I've seen this exact pattern ruin quite a few summers in my 40+ years. Once this washing machine cycle pattern gets it's foot in the door over the UK and Ireland it is a very difficult pattern to shift indeed. The last time we had this pattern was June and July 2020, it lasted at least 6 or 7 weeks if I remember correctly. We had plenty of this pattern during the summers of 2007 to 2012, once we were caught in the loop there was no getting out of it anytime soon.

If this was a typical fast moving conveyer belt pattern I would have more faith in the unsettled pattern ending sooner with better chances of ridging from the azores, but this is the washing machine cycle pattern which will just loop around indefinitely until something else eventually breaks the pattern. The azores high for example would have it's work cut out to try and make any sort of an impact on our weather with the current pattern firmly in place.

I'm not saying this pattern is going to continue all the way into September but there is a fairly high chance it will dominate the rest of this month with maybe some baby step hints of things becoming dryer and warmer towards the final days of July. August better deliver a decent spell of weather even if only for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

Absolutely miserable day in south Wicklow. I remember last July, out watering the plants most evenings. At least I don't have that to worry about! I miss sitting outside in the long warm evenings though! I think I have rose tinted glasses on from the last two summers and 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

To be honest though, there was a bullish signal for a very warm, dry July from the seasonal models with of course the EC46 being the most notable example of this which had a consistent signal going for weeks until it was coming close and the drivers were in support of this at the time. However, the collapse happened suddenly and as usual models are not good at picking up on pattern changes with one exception - fair play to the GFS for picking up on this. I lost faith in the model after the winter but now it's the ECM that has had a complete bust. No model is without its flaws. Just more evidence that everything can change so easily.

It's like autumn again today, occasional light to moderate rain but some of the wind gusts are ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Weirdly enough tourists I have spoken to have often commented how much they love the “bad” weather. Welcome respite from the heat at home. Obviously depends on where they’re visiting from etc but some do like it as it’s a novelty for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

The best we can hope for now is a good cold spell in December or January to stop the rain. Sadly I'm not being sarcastic. But thankfully I'm no weather expert either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

I love rain n wind n I'm not a tourist. At least ya don't feel like ya need to do stuff if its passing down rather than trapsing here there n everywhere in the June heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jaysus it's like an autumn evening out there.

Cold, wet and windy. Loads of small branches on roads.

Those of us that do the weather contest had to guess the highest minimum temperature for the month. Most of us went for between 17-19 degrees because you know certainly days in June when this was achieved and stayed warm at night.

Ha we can't even get our Maximum temperature at 19 degrees at moment in places this week, never mind the minimum!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Not though for those of us who enjoy walking and exercising outside. 'Heat in June', found it very tolerable, had no issue with the lack of dampness !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I feel like I have gone into the future this afternoon. Is it really only the 6th of July and not sometime in October? Fairly heavy rain and blustery with it all afternoon. At this rate the fields will be flooded soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

After the winter and sodden spring we had, the June spell felt long overdue. It seemed to be raining non-stop for months, though January was quite dry in fairness. It is a bit depressing to think we might go another 9 or 10 fcuking months before we see an extended spell of warm and sunny weather. Like, in the next couple of weeks you'll already notice the evenings drawing in!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Unfortunately a strong to moderate el nino event is usually the death knell to good cold spell in winter. We did have a decent cold spell during an el nino pattern back in 2009,but I think that was a weak one.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Cold East wind for most of May.

Some decent days in June but ended as the Leaving Cert did.

Now it's July and cold, windy (again) and p1ssing rain.

Pretty awful summer so far in my humble opinion, just fed up of the inconsistency!

Can't wait to get to Valencia next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I know we certainly won't be chasing heat records this month, that ship has sailed. The ground is going to be fairly wet throughout this month so even if we do get a heat spike etc around final week of the month the soggy ground conditions will hold back maximum potential being reached. If this pattern lasts into the end of the month there is every possibility that 24c as a maximum temperature may not be reached although a few places may get to 22 or 23c tomorrow. I can't remember the maximum value for July 2020 but I remember most parts of Ireland struggled to do much better than 21c that month.

On the GFS 12z there is a faint signal towards the washing machine cycle diminishing towards the end of week 3 of July but can't go much further than that so it is possible we may get some warmth back during final 9 days of the month but I don't expect anything record breaking or prolonged. I would happily settle for a few days of 25c with unbroken sunshine.

Advertisement