Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Interesting trainer. What is the cost and backup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭roadmaster

PC9s are used as primary fixed wing training aircraft and also Token Point Air Defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Don't have the numbers to hand but I'd imagine our friend Google has the numbers. Very well proven type substantially improved and modernised. I do recall that they are not very expensive and have delivery times that are not too challenging.

Would be a good first step into the jet age and away from property aircraft. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Aermaccis?

Cynics may suggest the reason we went with the PC12 as a C172 replacement was it is the most popular aircraft used in private aviation and Air Ambulance in other English Speaking countries. Being current on the NG when you leave the Air Corps is a golden ticket for a move down under. Far more useful on your logbook in civvy world than something like a cessna caravan or Islander. Same could be said for the EC135 and AW139 instead of the More military H145 or S70. Apart from the C295 the selection is based purely on giving pilots a decent shot at civvy flying for when they inevitably leave.

As for the PC9, it was the ABSOLUTE bare minimum the government could provide in terms of an armed aircraft. It serves no purpose in advanced flight training, as no matter what direction you go, a pilot will progress to a Dual seat, not Tandem seat aircraft, and will need neither G Suit not oxygen mask. The money would be better spent on a Grob or other Tandem Trainer. We had it with the Siai-Marchetti A fine aircraft, and armed not unlike the PC9, with unguided rockets or a maching gun pod. (please don't call the 12.7mm a cannon) We should have replaced it with a TP version (Valmet were making them too) and removed the pretence. We still would have been able to manage the fancy formation flypasts, and possibly trailed smoke.

The Only logic for having a trainer like the PC9M is you expect a large majority of your trainee pilots to progress to another single, or tandem seat aircraft. I thought the L-159 plans were well dead by the time the Pilatus got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They were. Long dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Exactly my point... our peak defence was in 70's, and it was shite then... albeit with probably a better interception capability with the Vampires and Supermarines, along with the Fougas... those up against aircraft of the time, would be like F-16's these days.

And yes, it was eyeball targets and pinpoint with DF... no EEZ pre 70's so all people needed to watch was the 12 mile limit.

I didn't know WW2 moved to the 50's, 60's and 70's?

I forgot too, they stuck a sticker on the PSR screens, for the first long range surveillance capability in the country saying "Don't tell the military".

Who said covert? if anything it was more than overt... you know that AC-130 that landed that was filed as a "transport" 10 or so years back, that had the anti war dudes up in arms.... that sort of thing was a regular occurrence in the 80's and 90's... Nimrods used to drop in for fuel when they ween't arsed going back to Kinloss, imagine a P-8, even a US one, landing in Shannon these days... Occasional emergency diversion is understatement of the year.

Don't forget their primary role a Silver Swollows...

Nothing shows force like a barrel rolls in something that has the power equivalent to an 80 year old asthmatic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sorry, I meant the Marchettis.

I suspect new pilots aren't thrust from ground school straight into a high-performance tandem turboprop.

Indeed, I'd be more likely to think that primary flight training is on something a little more... sedate. Even the US Air Force kicks off on DA-20s.

Now, if they -are- being used for the first check rides, then there are two other problems. As long as the aircraft will fly, basic check rides don't require vastly capable equipment over what the PC-9 currently provides, and secondly, it's far cheaper to outsource the training than to buy a replacement fleet of aircraft of similar capability.

I don't see the PC-9 being a particularly necessary progression to PC-12 or CASA, and "token point air defence" is kindof... well... pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

This is like listening to someone in the pub. The number of Nimrods that visited Shannon in the type's 42-year career can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand and they didn't call in just because they felt like it. USAF transport and tanker use of SNN has increased post-Cold War rather than the other way around, as the focus of operations moved to places further east and transit stops were needed for fuel and R&R as aircraft deployed back and forth. Maybe that's what has fuelled the anti-war protestors....

Actually a USN P-8 has visited too. https://flic.kr/p/KZ9kmY

Course they didn't stop because they felt like it, it was because they were on task in the Atlantic and didn't want to travel back to Kinloss for fuel... likewise with a lot of ASW assets (French, Canadian, American).

I know it's increased post cold war, that's why 90's were great in Shannon for military, thank you for agreeing.

Had a feeling you'd post the 2016 P-8, there was a number of complaints sent to Government in response to it, as one of it's stops was unscheduled (same aircraft stopped in twice)

OK, I'm surprised. (Was not the C-172 used for basic flight training even after the PC-9s showed up?)

It also seems hardly cost-effective, as evidenced by the recent move to outsource. But, OK, they're currently in the inventory, may as well use them., the money's already spent. Absent a drive for LOA3, is there any particular need to replace the PC-9s any time soon with anything more capable? And if they do get grounded, is it worth buying replacements as opposed to outsourcing, unless the Air Corps decides to downgrade back down to simpler aircraft for the role?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Found a cost on the L39NG. A mention of 112M euro for 6 new jets which includes training pilots and ground crew and spares etc. Another site suggested 10-20M per jet not sure what was included in that price.

C172 was NEVER used for pilot training in Irish service. Pilots only sat behind the wheel once they had their wings course complete. Originally after the Fouga. Later on After the PC9M. Short conversion course and away they went, clocking up hours counting seals on the Shannon estuary, top cover for CIT, Army Parachuting, towing the Drogue for the Ack Ack and anything else the army needed them for.

But never pilot training.

As I say, no obvious need to replace like for like unless we intend going fast jet, and it would still make more sense to contract out BFTS and LIFT. If the NS can learn to drive ships in a civvy school, then surely the Air Corps can do likewise when it comes to learning to fly. There are a number of private flight schools in the state providing pilots for the industry.

That's just bizarre to me. There's no need to be burning turbine hours for either basic or intermediate flight training. I see no reason why my basic or IFR courses were any less capable despite being far cheaper in a Cessna than doing it in a PC-9, a position the US Air Force seems to agree with with their Diamonds and Cessnas (And the FAA, since the certificates aren't categorised by aircraft type).

The Air Corps justification is much of their Basic flying hours are done on the simulator, where those without the necessary skills are screened before burning turbine hours.

Indeed, since the kingairs retired, the Air Corps has no aircraft for multi-engine training. This is why some of its pilots recently ended up in Australia training on their Kingairs.

I dont think the outsourcing has anything to do with funding it more to do for operational reasons that there is not enoght manpower to train Cadets.

Training for Rotary may be sorted with the recent deployment of cadets to the UK Military flying school. They have over capcity so i could see us sending cadets there for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Not guilty Sir! Note that the new version L39 NG is improved beyond recognition compared to the L39 Albatross. As ye can see from the article I posted.

They're a nice jet, I look forward to not getting these in the next 10-15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

For purely unselfish reasons, I decided to go on a fact finding mission*...

*Not paid for by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Only the Air Corps would train greenhorns on an F-104 or an F-4E and then say 'congratulations, you have proven yourself worthy of a chance to pilot the Reims Rocket 172.'

Better still, hop out of that high speed aerobatics aircraft, and get behind the stick of a Gazelle. Today you're gonna become a heli pilot. (Gazelle held the rotary wing speed record for many years, and was considered the "hot hatch" of rotary wing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭tippilot

Regarding the trip to Oz for King Air training, was it organised by RTE through the Barter Account? Surely there were multiple options for twin engine training much closer to home. The mind boggles.

In fairness, long distance travel for flight school isn't unheard of. Australian flying weather is far more amenable in January than anything in Europe. Florida is a popular alternative, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭sparky42

Think they were offering it for free, wonder if anyone else did, not too mention of course the fact that the next door neighbour's pipeline is an utter mess. And yeah there's the better conditions Australia would offer.

Oz doesn't get hurricane season, I understand. This year is expected to be a doozy.

Fact is there are as many domestic flights going to Oz as there are to the USA, and their systems are closer than the US to ours, possibly by way of their similar RAF heritage.

• Advertisement

Advertisement