Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sure and that obviously helps to deplete military equipment and resources. But specifically, how does Ukraine counter Russian air superiority on the battlefield?

Clearly the Russians are very careful about flying over Ukrainian territory as vulnerable to air defence but that doesn't apply to same extent in the contested areas. No way the USA army would expose it's troops and equipment without first seeking to control the airspace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Economics101

If Prigozhin has gone, or rather been deported, to Petersburg, maybe he was sent by Lukashenko as part of an agreement with Putin to con Prigozhin into surrendering. Shows you there's no honour among thieves.

And of course Likashenko ends up in Vlad's good books. No so sure how much that's worth ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean the US would if it held some advantage. Generally the US should be able to ensure air superiority at all times so it does not come up. If they were not such a position they would adapt their tactics.

Breaks in the line are hypothetical. Haven't happened yet. If they happen in the future, great.

The comment I replied to was an appraisal of the Ukraine counter-offensive, current tense. You said Russia are on the ropes. Not they will be on the ropes, or they might be if there is a break in the lines. You said the fact that 'any' territory had been retaken means they are on the ropes. I don't agree.

Ukraine have driven into minefields and lost hundreds of vehicles, taken thousands of casualties, retaken a tiny amount (less than half the size of Louth) of territory back. I don't discount the possibilty that it could go great in the future, but to say that it's going great currently and Russia are "on the ropes" is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Russia don't have air superiority over the battlefield and people thinking a few dozen F16's will give Ukraine air superiority is misinformed. There's just far too many AA's of all types for either side to gain it.

First paragraph you say Russia has air superiority and the next paragraph they are vulnerable 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They havent even reached the main defensive lines yet have they? A bit premature to be talking about breaks in the lines like kharkiv

Theyre only just coming up to satellite identified fortifications near orikhiv now, after many weeks of probing through minefields

Near velyka novosilka where most of gains are, they are still a bit off the main fortified line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The support from the West has stayed very strong, and it's hard to think that it won't continue to help Ukraine for as long as this war goes on.

It does look like it's quite close to a stalemate at the minute. But can Russia sustain this effort? There was almost a coup a few weeks ago. What will Russian society be like if the army is still in this position in another six months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Russias ultimate wet dream is to reach the natural defensive barrier of the Carpathian Mountains.

historically that’s where Russia expands to when it’s at its strongest. How do you think that is going to go for them???

it’s not worth starting a destructive war like this for anything less is it? The flat open plains and steppes of Ukraine will take a lot of garrisoning and is surely not the ultimate prize.

I think we can all understand that the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine has thus far been an utter embarrassing outright failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

It really doesn't suggest anything. They've done this much with something like 75% of their forces not even being used. They're poking and prodding the defensive line in order to do a few things:

1. Bait Russia into using its own reserves in certain areas. Effectively a staring contest to see who blinks first.
    2. Expose russian artillery positions. And then delete them with accurate HIMARS and counter battery artillery fire when they make a peep.(We've seen god knows how many videos recently of artillery systems being knocked out over the past few weeks). Even if you only half believe Ukraines numbers on this that's still hundreds of artillery pieces destroyed over the past few weeks. How long can russia maintain that loss rate?
    3. Force Russia to move around supplies between warehouses. They then track these movements and storm shadow or HIMARS the warehouses/supply routes.

Its death by strangulation. At some point in the coming weeks/months cracks will appear(A defensive line with minimal artillery support and dejected russians with no ammo is little more than a ditch to cross) and UAF will attempt to drive a sledgehammer through some points on the line. Then we'll truly see if the counter offensive can succeed or not. Until that point we won't know.

I'll admit early on I was optimistic that these defensive lines would just fold the second they saw the first Leopard rolling over the horizon and we'd be treated to another Kharkhiv style route. But seems I was wrong. We've all been spoiled by past events. But it doesn't mean that this operation is a failure yet. If by September nothing much has moved on the front line then I reckon we might have cause for worry. Until then I'm not gonna lose my **** over pictures of a few broken Bradleys or give in to the narratives of those who see catastrophic failure in every negative snippet of news no matter how exaggerated or verified. That's how losers think(assuming of course they're actually rooting for the good guys).

I've played my fair share of competitive sports against people with that mindset. And they're rarely right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well we've seen accounts of Russian planes & helicopters coming well into Ukrainian territory and being downed, they're exposed well beyond territory they control. We've also seen accounts of their air assets being used successfully in the battlefield and from territory they control. When you look at any military campaigns in recent decades by US or UK, they seek very quickly to control airspace and provide cover for their ground forces, do they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

When I say they are on the ropes I mean they are just holding out. They are losing 150 artillery pieces per week. Hundreds of armored vehicles and thousands of troops. They can't keep up this rate of attrition. Defense lines are all very well but they have to be populated with troops and equipment and soon it may be impossible to defend the entire line. There are already breaks in the line and as it weakens a breakthrough becomes more likely. It depends on how much kit the Russians have. But at the rate they are losing it they won't have enough by end of summer as far as I can see.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That generally makes no sense for two reasons. Whilst I don't have much issue with him in general, this take seems questionable. (If not mis-interpreted)

1) It's not as if NATO doesn't understand the concept of attacking prepared defenses. The "Combined Arms Breach" is the Holy Grail of tactical training. It's very complicated, it's very difficult, and it's basically the pass/fail test for a unit and its leadership. Either way, NATO tactics are certainly able to deal with such things.

2) It assumes Ukraine is using NATO tactics. It's not. It's using a bizarre domestic hybrid of old Soviet, modern NATO, and uniquely Ukrainian concepts to suit its current situation. I've no problem with the statement that they're not achieving the breakthroughs they wanted, but to blame NATO tactics on it is misplaced. The only way a breakthrough will happen is if multiple lines are penetrated and follow-on maneuver comes faster than new lines can be created. That's not going to be easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But are they losing that much equipment and men daily,up until recently you were saying they were loosing 70 + artillery pieces now it's 150 per week and yet we are only seeing minor gains ,it was claimed on this thread weeks ago that the Russians were collapsing across the the whole front but in that Time the Ukrainian have struggled to make any real change across the front,

It's not adding up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's kinda insane that this is a thing that needs clarifying, but it just shows how difficult it has been for these countries to escape the gravity well of Moscow - and why many to most have actively done all they can to rid themselves of that connection.

Russia has been malignant force to much of those around its orbit for centuries; a country that has, by and large, avoided or ducked many social revisions that allowed other European powers to evolve into more prosperous and equitable places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I know nothing about military tactics so I can't say anything about the accuracy of what Reisner says. But I've just read the article and there appears to be much misinterpretation of what he actually said- presumably lost in translation . Here's the main thrust of his interview:

He says that the "first phase" of the Ukrainian counteroffensive has failed. He attributes this to what he regards as a more typical "US army" approach of a mass attack with lots of equipment and compares it to the Russians' attempt to take Kyiv last year. He doesn't mention NATO tactics at all. He describes how the Ukrainians have had to switch tactics from unsuccessfully trying to take territory field by field using columns of tanks, to the more successful but much slower tactic of using infantry moving on foot through shelter belts between fields. Although he anticipates more intensive Ukrainian activity in the run up to the NATO summit next week, he doesn't foresee any significant Ukrainian breakthrough without a functioning air force and long-range ATACMS missile systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I'm not defending him. I'm just telling you what he actually said.

You really seem to have a lot of hate for him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

One more thing,

The Russians seem to be trying to stop the Ukrainians well before their main defence lines, thus negating their advantage in defence. The Ukrainians discovered this the hard way and are now just taking advantage of the situation, if the Russians stayed put in their main defence lines then we are in the 3/1 or 5/1 attacker v's defender situation, better for Ukraine that this continues a while longer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In fairness to the man, I think the vast majority of us felt that the war would be over in 2-3 weeks. Many of us were surprised.

I'm reminded of Admiral Woodward's commentary on the Falklands War. He listed a group of "entirely competent organizations which initially expected the whole operation was doomed" as he set south with his fleet: The US Navy, the UK Ministry of Defence, the British Army and the Royal Air Force. That they proved to be wrong didn't make them incompetent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Nopw rogber, I would doubt that very much, even without Zelensky recently affirming that there will not be any negotiations or even discussions until Putin has departed from all of Ukraine . inc Crimea. if neccessary, Ukrainians will fight to the last man and woman rather than submit to Putin. They know only too well what to expect from him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You've misrepresented a few things he's said.

When the invasion broke out in February 2022, Ukraine was receiving negligible support from the west. At that time it was a reasonable thing to say that eventually Ukraine would lose by attrition.

What changed since he made that statement is that western support has ramped up massively.

Ukraine's defence budget has went from $5b in 2021 to $50b in 2023. The shipments of modern and powerful weapons to Ukraine is unprecedented in modern times.

To be fair I reckon most people who use that description don't realise how much it annoyed the countries in question. It was just the way that they were often described in certain countries. Nobody meant any disrespect by it - a bit like people calling Ukraine "the Ukraine" which is pretty rare nowadays but was extremely common a decade ago. Directives like this from the AP will help with that.

Sure, that Ukraine does not have enough airpower has been pretty common knowledge since almost the beginning. Inequality between different army's throughout history has been a problem for the warring Generals to solve. Same as Ukrainian Military are doing now. There was a quote from some US General recently, which describes it perfectly:- " You fight the war with the Army you have, not the Army you wish you had." Very true!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

Time will tell. You have to weigh the amount of materiel they have against the rate of attrition. By all accounts they are getting stretched but nobody seems to know for sure. Give it 4 to 6 weeks...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

The Austrian colonels comment section on YouTube is awash with overly eager fans whose comments are eerily similar to the comments you see on Mick Wallace and Clare Daly's scutter rants in the EU parliament. Go have a look and compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Cluster munitions a game changer ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Advertisement

Very, very little is going to be a "game changer" at this stage unfortunately.

Vast quantities of ATACMS or fleets of planes notwithstanding, everything else it more about incremental gains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I disagree.

They will work great against well dug in infantry.

Sure, they will help.

Russia has been using them since the start. They are not going to be a "game-changer" by any reasonable definition of the phrase.

For sure they will work very well over a concentrated area. I saw what one of them did that landed in a street in NIS in Serbia during the NATO bombing. It caused massive damage up and down both sides of the street. You can add to the damage what the un exploded ones do when they. they get triggered. BTW, Chinese and Russian Cluster Munitions have the highest failure rate IE: Most lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

Where does that leave the current trajectory of the war?

If Russia is getting weaker through attrition and sanctions and Ukraine is getting stronger with shipments of modern and powerful weapons unprecedented in modern times, the outcome is clear. Russia is only delaying the inevitable and costing innocent lives, by continuing the conflict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I see Russia have another war crime primed and waiting.

This time it's explosives on the roof of the Power Unit No.4 at the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant.

This will cause worse devastation than Chernobyl did.

I would not be too sure about that...when these power stations were built, they were built to withstand an external nuclear blast. And conversely (unlike Chernobyl,) to withstand the force of a reactor blowing up inside the containment building too. None the less, Its not something that I'd like to put to the test. When you think that the dam that was blown up, was only meant to sustain a very small amount of damage,,,,a kind of warning if you like,

The unexploded ones are a problem for advancing infantry though.

And kids and farmers in years to come. I think it would be questionable if they'd be a good idea in the grand scheme of things if Russia wasn't using them anyway and the place wasn't littered in mines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For sure it's not malevolent though there's a question as to how much of this flippant throwing of eastern Europe to the Russian wolves by the Mick Wallace types is formed from a preconception or bias that by default they have more cultural relevance with Moscow than Berlin. Easy to Whatabout NATO when your presumption dismissed these countries as worthless satellites to Muscovite influence from the offset. I've often found the strong whiff of Western hubris in these types, never seemingly concerned with Ukraine or the actual countries themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Worst case scenario has already been provided for by experts and in that scenario we're nowhere near a Chernobyl level event.

Would be great to hear how you came to the opposite conclusion.

The media have been all over this like a fly to ****. Idiots like us love a catastrophe and that is exactly why they're sharing images with white dots as potential mines. It was only earlier today that the planet labs images had nothing on the roofs of the reactors.

Either way, if you think a Chernobyl level event is possible due to a few explosions on the roof of a reactor built for such a thing then you're clueless. I'm clueless too, but I just had to read a bit...

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Lukashenko says Putin “won’t whack” Prigozhin 😂 (Sky News)

Well now we know that Prigo’s days are numbered lol

The only concern in what you have described is an internal issue for Russia. It doesn't matter how many men or machinery they pull from said motherland if the Ukrainians can't get close enough to see it.

Thread on those items on the roof:

Also, should the worst come to pass and any explosives go off it'll be nothing like a Chernobyl event:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Doesn't make much sense planting explosives that are bright white to the skys above either. They look like seagulls but they don't seem to roam those parts according to Google. Lucky enough for the Ukrainians, the seagulls here are ruthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

So you think they're moving them into Ukraine for the craic so ?

Not because they're struggling to contain things as they are ?

That wasn't your original point though. Your point was on the front, in response to the point that Gatling made that the front isn't moving the right way nearly far enough for the expense of the bodies being lost.

We can talk about this thing rationally without having to take our Ukrainian face paint off, don't worry.

That isn't what I said at all. Just agreeing that the counteroffensive isn't going as well as planned, which the Ukrainians and US also state. The entrenched lines being refortified from within Russia means nothing for now, unless from the potential uprisers within.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

Good question and I wish I knew. Either there's an awful lot of coordination going on that we know nothing about or Prig is on a suicide mission. How Lukashenko fits into it all I don't know. It gets murkier all the time

• Advertisement

That's very very unlikely and certainly not from explosives on the roof. Chernobyl was a very specific event that is impossible to recreate in reactors nowadays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement