Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well for you guys craving warmth the next 2 or 3 days won't be too bad. Max temperature of 20c to 22c in many places and a few downpours but plenty of warmth in any sunny spells so at least it won't be as bad as today for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Top 5 rainfall figures for today thus far official stations

36mm Tourmakeady Mayo

34.9mm Maam Valley Galway

28.7mm Ardara Donegal

27.6mm Killarney Kerry

26.6mm Dunmanway Cork

Driest is Botanic Gardens Glasnevin with 0.2mm

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Banarol

It will be fairly blustery until Sunday so it probably won’t feel as warm as the forecasted temperatures suggest?Sunday and Monday with lighter variable breezes might feel pleasant enough at around 20 degrees at that stage?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well, isn't it a nice break from that dead heat, all the same. 😅 🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

NIMAN, you have to be really taking the proverbial with your "tough choice." Tough choice between this horror show summer and a real summer, albeit an excessively hot one??? Are you really serious.😱😱

I spend about half of every summer in southern Spain and yes it can indeed get unbearably hot. Add to that, crowds and the noise of what the locals call 'the silly season" and it's by no means always ideal. But it's a million times superior to this abomination!! You never forget there that you're in summer. You're always in summer clothes, the nights are wonderful, as are the beach days and the overall easy living. This crap here, 15C,deluges of rain and needing heating, not to mention the abandoning of anything resembling summer wear in favour of socks, jumpers and rain coats, is the absolute worst kind of summer weather. My 90 year old mother is crippled with arthritis here, yet in Spain, her pains all but disappear. No contest at all!! Your friends are only being nice, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

In fairness we're 5 and a half weeks into summer proper and June was well above average. Not sure how you can describe the summer as a horror show on the back of a couple of average weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I find that people, especially irish people with the weather, get into a cycle of writing off things based on whats currently happening. It's not that long ago we had a fabulous spell (and some people saying we need rain for the poor garden might I add) and summer was going to be long and sunny. Now weve had near 10 days of this cycle and summer is over already! I get that today is absolutely woeful but tomorrow isn't too bad and it will be warm in sunshine. The models could flip back just as quick in our favour as they flipped on the negative.

Ah come on, let's live in the present! June and its fine weather are well truly over, past tense. Right now summer is an absolute horror show. Buckets of rain, wind and low temps. Fact and let's deal in facts!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Will some one put out a child of prague statue for me tonight?

All day outdoor summer camp tomorrow, forecast was horrific at start of week but I'm hoping it will be ok now.

As my husband said we have had 6 weeks of good weather and the week I pick for the summer camp is worst week going weather wise😁.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

'Summer' is the entire season, not a day or a week of 'weather'. Why do you care anyway? You hardly spend any time here in the summer anyway as you love to remind the forum regularly. I don't know why i'm wasting my time anyway, you're not interested in other people's opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This weather is just awful I haven't felt this down in a long time, I may have to book a holiday for September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Did not expect this level of wind today. A tree down in Lucan causing traffic chaos, and I'm driven daft with the whistling in the chimney.

My grass is getting out of hand- I got it half cut last weekend but had to stop due to a downpour and I don't see any dry window of opportunity on the horizon. I don't mind the cool temps but the rain is getting dreary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We may turn a corner towards the last 10 days of July. The UKMO deep dive was hinting at it. Also certain knowledgeable posters over on Netweather think a pattern change might come around the last week of July. If there is a pattern change coming the GFS in its latter stages will be picking up on it in the next couple of days or so.

Hey what's your problem? When did I ever upset you in a former life?? And what's with the personal remark of me not being interested in other people's opinions? And sorry to upset you that I "love to remind the forum", a forum about weather experiences, that I get a away a lot and experience other climates! A bit of Irish begrudgery perhaps?? Anyway you seem to have a problem with me and my lifestyle which could actually be flattering 😀 but no doubt boring for other posters, so let's leave it there shall we!

ECM Looking cool next week. Chilly air for July

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

Tomorrow not looking bad at all in Dublin and many other parts in the Eastern half of the country especially. Temperatures there widely into the 20s, maybe even Fohen conditions in Dublin, north of the mountains. A strong breeze too..... Hoping to get three loads of washing dried on the line tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep fingers crossed highdef!

Don't talk to me about the clothes🙄.

I have clothes all round the house drying all week, I expect that during winter but not in July!

This is interesting! I'd like to know more about El Nino...

Is it that that might be driving this wet weather event over Europe? There was this wind storm (Poly?) that hit Holland and Germany I think? Is it connected? (all probability based, sure, but interested in people's opinion on it!)

The first time I heard about El Nino was maybe back in the 1990's some time. It seemed to be a strong one then, but that was from American news.

Interested in how it might/could affect weather patterns in our part of the world, as it is forecast to be moderate to strong. I think global temps peaked during the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

I always remember summer 2015 being terrible. We’d had a nice spring up to the end of March and then an awful summer. El Niño was the pattern that year, I took note…

With the warm sea temperatures and El Niño starting to fire up, I wonder which August we’ll get, 2019 or 2022.

• Advertisement

So windy here in Cork city centre! Heavy rain comes and goes, feels fairly stormy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oh that's a relief, I'm not getting my hopes up but finger's crossed we do get nice settled weather for 2 or so weeks between end July and September 😀 think current weather is effecting my depression big time although at least its milder tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The unusually warm sea surface temps and el nino are akin to the perfect storm in terms of bringing moisture to us. A strong el nino usually means crap summers for us, followed by mild and unsettled winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Driving home yesterday evening very strong winds lashing rain and 14 degrees that’s January weather not July

I get you. I think a lot of people who accuse us of moaning don't actually get how weather has a massive effect on mood, especially in people who have strong sensitivities to their environment. Days and weeks of this kind of weather, especially in mid summer, has a negative impact on many conditions such as depression and arthritis. My poor mother suffers enormously here with the latter but she is of a generation that would never move from her home, if I reach her age I won't be spending my last days in Ireland. Though I do love Ireland and love being at home the grey, damp climate is the decider there. Right now I'm looking up at the leaden sky and waiting on a man to come finish some urgent garden work and just praying I won't get a cancelling phone call any minute.

Drizzling, breezy and very mild. Best chance of sun is in the east today with 23c possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Well we had our usual 2 weeks of summer...temperatures around the mid 20s for a couple of weeks in june...the only thing that tells you is how bad our summers are if thats considered a record...they have heatwaves that are hotter and last a lot longer in countries up near the arctic im sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wet and depressing. Awful. The rain last night was unbelievable.

Co. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Well its not cold today - which is something I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I agree, let’s deal in facts and not thinking a scorcher is around the corner because we desperately want it to happen. We do not get the weather we want. If we did we’d have a continental climate!

The Greenland/Iceland high eats up summer the same way an Azores/Iberia/Euro high eats up winter,

Advertisement