Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

I have to say some of the above posts leave a lot to be desired, I only found this thread because I was interested in looking for an electric car but I think I will look elsewhere for advice.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lot's of fruit cakes posting here tonight.

In all seriousness this is a great place to get advice on electric cars. Read back through the posts. That person was wondering why he said man and as was pointed out it is nearly always men who work in those places. There may be one or two women but it is extremely rare it would be like a man working looking after kids.

I get that, but moderators should have a bit of cop on when posting. Especially these days, maybe some are just dinosaurs who knows. I'll keep an eye on the thread because I want to pick something up in the next year or so.

I just read back a few posts and you posted this "That's right any time I got my car detailed there was nothing but women working there.... 🙄" Yes you were probably doing tongue in cheek I hope but it doesn't matter does it. " There may be one or two women but it is extremely rare it would be like a man working looking after kids." Not sure what to make of that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I work in an industry completely dominated by men. Directors meeting one time and I got a directive to hire some women for our service engineer and workshop/warehouse/forklift driver roles.

5 years on and literally thousands of applicants on indeed.com and I'm still waiting for a female application.

Get over it.

Back on topic, I love EVs and I drive one. Wasn't a bargain though

Maybe I'm arguing for arguments sake, but some of the previous posts were out of order in my opinion. I'll leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

These car wash places are missing a trick. They could be saving 20% on labour costs by hiring women 🤣

(Ducks and hides from the woke mob)

In all seriousness, that M3LR would need some elbow grease to be begin to look presentable. A full valet and then some.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Very little, the battery tech in the RWD is better than the LR and will last longer, it will reach a point where a LR and RWD bought at the same time will eventually have the same usable range. RWD can be charged to 100% constantly whereas the LR should be kept to 80%-90% for day to day use which effectively zeroises range differential. Audio is MUCH better in the LR. Charging rate is better in the LR but RWD already charges in no time so I would not put a cent of value in this.

New M3 is rumoured to have around 5% larger range which will eat even further into range differential.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Its a utilitarian cheap car, a tool, not a vintage roller. I never bother cleaning the inside of my car beyond taking out any rubbish that accumulates occasionally. I have the car since september last year, rural owner, and it has had one car wash since new.

First thing I do when buying a used car is have it valeted, and then after that it's clean dirt anyway

EDIT: Actually after looking through the photos even I couldnt live with the car like that. Jeebus. Should have gotten the black interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Base M3 RWD doesn't have the premium audio upgrade, right?

Worth paying for IMO - it's really superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes it's not the premium audio in M3 RWD, but it is in the Y RWD for some reason. There's no paying for it option either, it's either RWD and no premium audio or LR/P with premium audio

Whatever about the performance upgrade, the audio upgrade is well worth it and something you would appreciate every day if you were to go for a LR vs SR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am no audiophile, but the audio in my RWD is pretty good. Far better than any other recent car of mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

I will, it's obvious the type of some of the people who post here and I don't intend joining that club anytime soon so the thread is safe to continue as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This isn't twitter, can people who have zero Interest in EVs or any of the acres of valuable EV information and opinion shared here for free in people's own time. Stop coming on to rile out arguments that are completely off topic. It's purposefully done and adds zero value. Take that stuff to Elons playground.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why Elons playground, why not Oliver Zipse’s playground or Oliver Blume’s playground?

Is one better than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd say @listermint means those trolls / woke folk should go back to twitter (Musk owns it) and stop ruining boards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You're no twit😎

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Nobody with a right mind does Twitter.

The only reason I have a twitter account is because back in the day, before any of you n00bs were on boards, it was the only way to find out if boards was down or not or what was going on 😂

Edit: it still works but I had forgotten my password 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I didn't think twitter was that old. You have an amazing join date for this site. Back when you joined I didn't have a computer since I was working on building sites full time and there was no such thing as smart phones. I bought a laptop in 2005 but was more of a lurker back then on this site so never joined. But I did have another account before this one but I got banned from a forum that I frequented all the time back then but it's a dead forum now so maybe I should have stayed with the username.

You don't have one of the default dates, from the last boards migration?

I remember loads of people having the same date because of it

Nah I joined boards when it was very new. It started as a forum for quake players (iirc) back in '98 but didn't really become a general forum until about '00 or '01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

God I'm starting to feel old now from this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Looking for a second EV (and a bargain)!

The Tesla Y with all its space will be the family car carting family around daily.

This second EV will be for 120-130km per day of commuting. So a range of 300 would allow the journey twice even in winter without a battle for the home EV charger every night.

Absolutely bought into Tesla logic, but the used 3s are typically getting into low and mid 30s, leaving a lot of money tied up in cars which I'd rather avoid. Perhaps that comes later when the used Tesla market picks up.

I am sort of expecting market to evolve and technology too over the next few years so I don't foresee myself holding the commuter car very long, so I suppose one eye on brand/ability to move it on.

Anyone been through similar thought process?

😎

Model 3 are mid to late 20s now. If you want to spend that sort of money, go ahead! But for your commute it's unnecessary and an Ioniq for well less than half that price will do the trick. Charge the Ioniq on a granny charger overnight if you have to charge the Model Y every single night

I doubt that you do or have you a 300+ km daily commute in the Model Y?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I should have put money on an Unkel Ioniq recommendation! It's up there with the Nissan duke for unappealing looks (in my opinion) , but you are correct, looks like solid value. I actually see one that's barely been driven advertised under 20k; https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/ioniq/used-2018-181-hyundai-ioniq-electric-meath-fpa-202304206494983

😎

Advertisement