Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of silage standing.

Options
  • 06-07-2023 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Has anyone any idea of how much to pay for second cut silage standing. I didn’t see it or anything yet just looking for a guide price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

You have to look at it. If its all headed out it would be worthless to me.

I bought 13 acres of first cut at 80 an acre off a close neighbour. I would feed for him of he was away.

A man futher away is looking 250 an acre of standing hay, full of weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

It’s never worthless if you’re short of feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

80 eur acre seems massive bargain for buyer...4 bags fertiliser, slurry, output from ground... Seller may not be aware of his costs. 200 to 250 for good grass would be more reflective of my costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d have to disagree.

I was looking at a meadow yesterday that’s growing since last November and to my mind it’s worthless. Second growth up through it that’s all headed out now, the first growth is like dead grass now it’s turned so brown. It’s all flattened into the ground from the rain now too. To my mind the lad going to feed that stuff should be reported for cruelty!

Even at only €100 an acre I wouldn’t see any value in it. I’d rather put the money into straw or meal to stretch out my own good silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A few bales mixed through good silage might work. Feeding poor quality to even dry adult cattle could see them lose condition. It would be better to extend your existing forage by adding meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You cannot really mix it. Cattle will eat the better silage first. Stronger cattle will out compete weaker cattle. You probably could alternate feed a round if good stuff and then a round if the poorer quality.

Silage being cut now for first cut( unless it was grazed up until the first of May is hardly worth the cost of baking it . Straw off crimped grain has as much feeding as it. What is worse is if it's wet low DM cattle ara probably running into negative energy eating it.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement