Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I don't rate him as a song and dance man. I was referring to the production aspects that Tubs wasn't singing or dancing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ffs...

It really is death by a thousand cuts.

They had a chance to come clean about everything but no bloody chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,124 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would have been cheaper for Dee Forbes to give Tubridy the money in a brown envelope... instead 70000 was blown on these sham events.

Theres no such thing as enough of others peoples money for these sleveens is there?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fair enough. Definitely great on radio. Tubridy crap on radio and tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Three events hosted by Ryan Tubridy for Renault in 2022 cost RTÉ €22,000 more than the broadcaster previously stated.

The events took place in Cork, Dublin and Louth between March and May 2022.

Last week, RTÉ said it spent €47,477 through its barter account to cover the cost of the events.

Records shared with Oireachtas Media Committee on Wednesday and analysed by Prime Time show that the actual costs were almost €70,000.

RTÉ agreed to pay for the staging of the Renault events as part of the three-party deal with the company and Mr Tubridy.

The cost of building a 'mini-Late Late' set for use in dealership showrooms was not included in the previous total published by RTÉ.

Some €14,500 was paid for the construction of the set. As the spending was put through a barter account which carries fees and extra deductions for cash payments, the actual cost to RTÉ was recorded at €22,306.

A spokesperson for RTÉ told Prime Time the cost of the set build was 'accidentally omitted from the figure quoted in the nine-page RTÉ statement'.

The entries in the account also show RTÉ paid for an employee of Mr Tubridy’s agent to be chauffeured to one of the events at a cost of €874.

A further €890 was deducted from the barter account for hotel accommodation for three people, one of whom was listed as a person who ‘received no payment.’

This is understood to be a reference to an RTÉ employee who worked on the events.

The actual hotel spending was €568, but as the payments were made through the barter account, they resulted in an additional 35% deduction from the balance in the account.

The spending on each individual event is itemised separately as €13,300, €15,900 and €16,400.

• Advertisement

Yes Tubs crap on radio too. These people are not stars, they don't have the charisma like Wogan, Norton, Parkinson etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Since he was born in the US, then we'd never have seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wouldn't count on Backhurst doing much...he has been at RTE since 2012.

Telethon element. I enjoyed some parts of the toy show. Couldn't watch a minute of any other Late Late with him though. Really hopeless

The car was only resting in his garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kenny may not have the charisma as you say, but he has real in-depth knowledge, sharpness, articulation and intellect. That’s his area of expertise. He’s not really “celebrity” style broadcasting.

Agree re Kenny. Listened to him all the time on Newstalk until I boycotted Newstalk. Miss listening to his radio show

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The fact that RTE is being brought into NTMA under "New Era" offered some hope of reform until you see the organisations already listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

I'd say there's a least 10 cars 'donated' to RTE staff.

In a culture like that everyone starts feeling entitled. When so and so is getting such a perk so should I. They're all in a bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Next will be the TSTM actually lost 4 million - they forgot about the wages they had to pay everyone - that's how amateur and corrupt the whole organisation is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Tear it all down !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭CH3OH

"The entries in the account also show RTÉ paid for an employee of Mr Tubridy’s agent to be chauffeured to one of the events at a cost of €874."

Must have been extras in the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Only in Ireland could you have a radio phone in about the trivialities and travails of the the regular punter hosted by someone on 350k a year just under 10 TIMES the average Irish salary. Duffy is legally stealing a wage from the public purse. The most he should be on is 150k IF he was any good which he is not. It was always spurious cow poo that RTE 'top' presenters needed to be paid huge salaries to keep them in house.

Me thinks part of Tubridy appearing before the PAC is to try to rebuild his brand. Well he well and truly took a match to it by trousering that side money and he finished the job off with his initial statement passing the buck entirely to RTE. If he had had the humility when this first broke to say a true apology and also hand back the 345k to RTE then he may have had a chance. Now though his media career is over. To have taken that extra money was to show an extraordinary lack of self awareness and arguably arrogance/entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

Marty, going back to the mid 90s, was the go to man at camogie and lady's football All Ireland functions. He was a mid 40s man surrounded by a lot of teenage to 20 something girls then and I always felt they couldn't get away from him quickly enough. He was a bit of a joke and there was something uncomfortable about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I work in a public service job working directly with the public. Customers often come back and put a box of sweets, a packet of biscuits etc on the counter “have that with ye’re tea! Thanks again!”

Sometimes it’s more. An anonymous card with a voucher included. An expensive bottle of wine, Jo Malone candles.

Every single item is noted in a book and reported to HQ.

The biscuits scones etc go in the staff room.

The boxes of chocolates and every thing else is raffled off between our volunteers every couple of months.

We have to try our best to deter customers from giving us anything at all. Any money gifts that come in cards are returned to the customer if we know who it is, donated to charity if not. That’s the only way to prevent problems from arising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"The cost of building a 'mini-Late Late' set for use in dealership showrooms was not included in the previous total published by RTÉ."

I would imagine there would be costs associated with the transport of and installation of mini sets at various Renault showrooms and the removal and transport of same between showrooms. Were costs for that disclosed anywhere?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

The entries in the account also show RTÉ paid for an employee of Mr Tubridy’s agent to be chauffeured to one of the events at a cost of €874.

Rte really we’re generous with tax payers money, that’s some fee for a chauffeur.

I wonder who was the NK employee and what’s the relationship to RT,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

And yet the garda fraud squad is not investigating RTE! Why? because the RTE CFO said there is no fraud! ( mind this is the same guy who said he doesn't know what his salary is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭chrisd2019

The car park may be a bit less full then going forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Timmy Dooley on the tonight show, with buyers remorse. With fellow Clare man Marty involved, Timmy's is trying to dig him out from the sh+t. If ever you needed a greater example of the cronyism in Ireland it's here. Politicians in hock with rte 'talent'. The whole system here would make you sick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

In the Renault Facebook video of Marty MCing there are lots of other RTE staff/contractors at the event. It may have been RTE and Renault combined event.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭chrisd2019

why would a car sales room need a mini late late show set?

A coffee machine and a few booklets about the cars might be better for sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I would imagine there would be costs associated with the transport of and installation of mini sets at various Renault showrooms and the removal and transport of same between showrooms. Were costs for that disclosed anywhere?

It could be included in the extra €22k disclosed today or could be drip fed over the coming days.

I wonder were the guests Tubs "interviewed" at these events paid, and if so by whom? Renault made it clear the deal was to be cost neutral for them so that leaves RTE to pick up the tab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

The state of the "set" they spent 22 grand on!

3 brown auld panels wir a few Ren - alt logos on it an' a birra cheap furniture from BargainTown.

Everyone sees RTE coming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement