Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Apparently it's the draft report next month, and the full report in Q3 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Decades

Q3 2024 - after "political evaluation" which is code for - we'll go through it and pick out some juicy bits for our election brochures. Most of it is already leaked anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expect to see *loads* of bits of it in local and euro election guff for June 24

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It’s been a weird 3 years, but we’re officially losing the plot here now on what constitutes transport policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Rosslare Europort (which is owned by IÉ) themselves don't appear to see a future for themselves in rail freight as they are undertaking a massive program of investment but no mention of investment in rail facilities. They obviously see offshore wind turbines and growing their existing RORO business.

To access Rosslare Europort via the South Wexford line, trains would have to pass through Bellview Port which already operates rail freight (the only port in the country to do so now that Tara Mines flows have ceased). If looking to increase rail freight, we should be expanding Bellview and increasing rail capacity to/from it.

Why are north Mayo and now Sligo the only places mentioned in the context of rail freight? Why would this rura pocket have more potential for rail freight than all the other more industrialised areas around the country? Why not a rail hub in West Dublin or around Little Island in Cork? I can only assume that the narrative to link the northwest and rail freight has developed to keep up the pretence that the WRC will reopen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

THere is another thread on the Rosslare-Waterford line, most of it mind-blowingly daft. The track is by now not fit for any kind of service. Someone wants an hourly service (!!!). This is an echo of the WRC madness: there is some kind of inverse relation between the traffic potential of a line and the amount of lobbying being done for it.

And Eamon Ryan goes along wth this, whan there are so many possibilities to develop rail transport in a way which will capture a lot more traffic and save a lot of greenhouse gas emissions.

We have had 2 useless ministers for transport in a row.

In fairness, you can't blame Eamon Ryan for the WRC south of Athenry, which was a disgraceful waste of 100 million euro by Fianna Fail which could have been far better spent on other parts of the rail network.

And the WRC north is Sinn Fein policy as well.

As regards Ministers for Transport, we haven't had a good one in this country since Seamus Brennan, and he left office in 2004.

And the WRC north is Sinn Fein policy as well

Until the reality of office hits them. No doubt they'll be doing "waiting for a report" strategy once in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

They spend more on reports these days than 100m. It seems to be like an extremely good return for 100m, to have reopened a new section of rail.

Obviously major improvements are needed to that section, but at least the line isn't rotting into oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It’s more than slightly worrying that the Minister for Transport doesn’t realise that there is already a rail link between Sligo and Rosslare that could be used for freight (if any demand actually existed).

Unless maybe he thinks that there’s massive untapped demand for rail freight from Tubbercurry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is a route via sligo to dublin and then to rosslare from dublin, however given that requires travelling through the congested dublin area, it's not a goer for freight.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

If the demand existed for rail freight to Sligo then IWG or XPO would have tried to bring in a Dublin-Sligo freight service at some stage.

It’s more pie-in-the-sky nonsense that does nothing except divert time and finding away from viable projects

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. There are projects in the GDA that would carry in a day what these plans would carry in a year and they’re tied up in red tape and Departmental nonsense.

It is possible that smaller projects receive attention at the same time as bigger ones. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

The projects you refer to also cost multiples of what WRC phase 2 would cost, for example.

• Advertisement

they may have tried for all we know.

there isn't enough wagons anyway at the moment for any greater extension of freight.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

If Shannon can't justify a rail connection I think it's a safe bet Knock hasn't a snowballs chance

Jesus wept. Deputy Leddin (Green Party) is just as bad as any local gombeen politician. How can anyone go on about a rail conection to Shannon given the totally inexcusable absence of any sort of rail/metro/tram connectivity at Dublin, which makes getting to and from that airport a hugely expensive and time-consuming effort?

Enough to put me off any developments related to the WRC (or South Wexford) until the really urgen problems of the greater Dublin area are tackled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Jesus not this nonsense again

Because of the failures of dublin the rest or the country cant have any infrastructure?

We shouldnt build any bus lanes outside dublin either until busconnects is done.

Luas is at capacity and we need more lines to serve other parts of the city - cant possibly justify a tram in cork until dublin gets another line..

Etc etc

The cost benefit of a train to Shannon Airport would be poor. Shannon Airport is reachable by bus from Limerick in a very respectable time, and a rail service wouldn't offer much benefit time wise, and there definitely isn't a need for a railway line on capacity grounds.

It's the old Green "steel wheels good rubber wheels bad" trope.

Same reason an upgraded N17 with decent bus services seems unpalatable, but a horrendous rail alignment weaving around the north west is a great idea.

Despite the fact that the Galway-Limerick train is slower than the bus, on a better track than exists north of Claremorris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The projects that deliver the greatest benefit should obviously be prioritised.

Scrap the cap!

That is a complete distortion of what I was saying. Given that funds are limited you have to prioritise. You don't need a fancy cost benefit analysis to see that talking about rail links to Shannon is complete garbage, given the huge deficiencies elsewhere.

Funds are far from limited - we are awash with cash. And there is a rail link to Dublin in planning too, its called Metrolink.

The idea that a potential rail link to Shannon would impact the funding for Metrolink is total nonsense.

Let's be honest, a rail extension to Shannon wouldn't succeed without double tracking the full Limerick network. But we shouldn't exclude the possibility this can happen.

What does this even mean?

To increase the viability of a potential rail link, the Strategy recommends a focused approach to land use to support rail-based transport-oriented development,” the Green Party leader said.

Just to be clear, I only previously suggested a "Knock airport" rail connection on the assumption that WRC was built and required a new alignment!!!

Clearly there are no plans for WRC north of Claremorris in the medium term.

I guess it means that ways should be kept clear for potential rail lines, and that housing or business development should take place near any existing or potential stations. A good example of this would be the Laughanstown Luas stop which was built to facilitate development which is only just happening. The more development that happens near the line, the more viable it is.

An example of the opposite approach would be the approach taken back in the day by Galway County Council in zoning large amounts of land for business development in Ballybrit/Parkmore which is nowhere near a train line. Hopefully we have learned since then, but I wouldn't be too sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

That's as maybe - but I read it in exactly the same way as timmynyc did. It may be that you need to rephrase your post, or review how you express yourself.

I'm all in favour of a connection between Dublin and its airport; but there seems to be a lobby that is capable of stymying big infrastructure projects that do not involve road traffic.

As well as the lack of a rail connection to the airport, I'd mention the difficulties around getting the Luas into existence; IIRC it took many years to get the two lines into existence, and weren't there problems around losing EU funding along the way? Not to mention the Western Rail Corridor, and re-opening the Cork to Youghal railway line. I for one can see benefits arising from re-opening the Athenry to Claremorris section of the WRC, and running trains all the way from Ballina to Limerick Junction, with connections onward to both Cork/Kerry and Waterford/Rosslare.

The Port Tunnel was presented to us as though it was the seventh wonder of the world, but the reality is that it is a short tunnel, and of its type, not very difficult piece of engineering. To put it in context, the Faroe Islands (with something like 50,000 people) are currently building just under 20km of road tunnels, to add to the 60km or so of road tunnels already in service. Among them is a 10km-long tunnel to Sandoy, an island with just 1,200 inhabitants, which will open this coming December, while a 25km-long tunnel to Suðuroy (with all of 4,600 people living there) is in the planning stages.

In other words, this idea we have that we shouldn't put resources into infrastructure outside of Dublin is absolutely ridiculous - it is time we moved on from this anti-social 19th-century laissez-faire ideology; always remembering that even then, even in Ireland, the British state poured huge resources into building infrastructure in Ireland - look at our ports, the (mostly disappeared) railway network, bridges, canal, river and lake navegation. It often seems to me that public works since independence were built with official Ireland gritting its teeth and complaining about the waste of money rather than celebrating the fact that the new infrastructure would improve the lives of the many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Decades

https://www.facebook.com/IRDKiltimagh/posts/pfbid02LTD9pRHkXYzNFderdKY4ERc9g8UgxqLLe1HtZvpBv2EhY8WU5AJn5RLKbtrFH6ybl

IRD Kiltimaugh seems to be really struggling to staff the Velorail project. The vacancy advert has been running, on and off, since last May. Nothing about this project seems to be right IMO. A complete waste of money. We are in Toy Show The Musical territory with this when it comes to due diligence and public funding.

Post edited by Decades on

No point taking a job with an operation which is inevitably going to go bang in short order unless you're some sort of masochist.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

I just took a look at the site,

• it runs once a day, Fri, sat and Sun at 3pm.
    • A velorail is 40 eur.
    • If you're elderly you must be accompanied by a guardian.....no idea what they define as elderly. So you could have a valid licence, drive their with your wife and be denied entry as you don't have a guardian haha
    • You must travel in convoy
    • You must travel at the speed they dictate
    • and so on

Its so fking stupid lol

Unfortunately the jokes on us as it seems obvious that public money was thrown at this project to appease WOT who wanted it to "Dog in the manger" a Greenway.

I hope the C&AG takes a look at this at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Most of the infrastructure you attribute to the British state was built by private companies though.

Velofail.

In a properly run country that sort of thing would never happen but if somehow it did, those responsible would go to jail.

Scrap the cap!

Indeed.

Post-independence, the massive anti-urban bias of official Ireland inevitably led to a failure to provide infrastructure. This attitude continues to this day.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Westernview

Ireland West Airport CEO highlighting the importance of road and rail infrastructure to the airport.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/07/07/improved-transport-infrastructure-critical-for-future-of-ireland-west-airport/

The head of an airport talking about sustainable transport - what a joke.

What do you want him to do - close down the airport? Maybe all the factories and industry failing to achieve net zero should close down as well.

Battery powered planes are not viable yet so he is entitled to promote sustainability whenever he see it, especially if it's connected to how people get to and from the airport.

Aviation accounts for c. 2% of global emissions, and is notoriously hard to decarbonise due to energy density requirements for flight.

Perhaps it would be meritorious to focus on the other 98%, especially in a country that burns coal to make power and has 2% of its rail network electrified.

• Advertisement

It would help if they hadn't built an airport in the wrong place due to the ravings of a priest.

Scrap the cap!

What do you base the statement that it's in the wrong place on?

I was never a fan of Knock Airport, and am not a fan of the WRC. But your comment is distasteful and inappropriate.

Not a fan of Knock Airport? Have you used it? Show up 15 minutes before your flight and you've time to check-in, go through security, have breakfast, have a coffee, go to the toilet and get on the plane.

You'd probably have time to run into duty free on the way from the toilet to the plane.

Seriously, what's not to like?

Knock Airport really is fantastic. A great range of routes and such a pleasant user experience.

I have driven from Kerry to Knock Airport before. It's a similar drive time to Dublin Airport and is much much easier to use.

God, I untentionally hit a raw nerve there. I'm sure Knock airport is a fantastic amenity for people in Mayo. But at the time there were serious questions about the costs and benefits of the investment. Now that it's built, these costs are sunk, so no point worrying about them.

My main reason for posting was objection to the "ravings of a priest" comment. Ad hominem stuff should not enter into the argument.

• Advertisement

but that never happened so your point is mute.

what did happen was that a campaign was able to convince the powers that be to build the airport where they built it with sufficient evidence to support the campaign and justify the building of the airport.

those who were against the building of the airport were unable to convince the powers that be that the airport should not have been built either at all, or where it was built.

Er, because it doesn't have the connectivity that they're now asking the taxpayer to provide at vast expense?

Scrap the cap!

Nothing distasteful about it. The decision to build Knock was crazy and the government of the day should have put a stop to it. But because the church was involved they were terrified to do so.

Scrap the cap!

It's 12 minutes from the N5 and 3 minutes from the N17 so in road terms it's not bad - at Connaught's crossroads as Fr Horan called it. Ideally it would be nearer the the East-West train line at Claremorris but back in the late 70s early 80s, when airport construction began, there was more of an inclination at government level to close stations and lines rather than providing new rail connectivity to anything so it was probably just not factored in. Also,when you consider the challenges in aquiring such a large landbank it really was a huge achievement and it continues to benefit the region in a very big way today.

Post edited by Westernview on

The same logic could be applied to all airports in the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement