Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

The drip feed is going to continue. It's serious with such poverty around yet, naturally, it does amuse.

Last week we knew nothing of flip flops and the Marty car.

RT and NK will be well prepared. But neither have never been in a situation like this. Anything could happen there. Also many of the RTE 'talent' are paranoid at this stage they know someone knows their story and don't know who will talk. Investigative journalism will continue. The slow drip is annoying many people, but this type of scenario causes people to crack, like Marty's guilt over the car. It's all breaking down. And like all things it'll end up every man for himself.

The person I’ve been told the car Lynch referred to as having been returned this week is not Marty Morrissey, I post last evening that there’s more than 1 person caught up in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Isn’t VAT designed to be paid by the end user. So everyone else in the supply chain pays and reclaims the VAT including Renault. But the end user is supposed to pay the VAT that the Revenue ultimately keeps.

In this case, Marty is the end user as, whatever spin he puts on it, he got the car as “payment”. But because he never paid a cent for it, the Revenue actually got nothing out of it. Or am I misunderstanding VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭GSBellew

NKM promo account or just a deluded individual, I just can not decide which.

On one hand you seem to have skin in the game with your vehement defence and big upping of NKM

On the other hand an agent would want this to fade away, hmmm, actually that fits with the "nothing to see here" thing you have going on.....

• Advertisement

Thomas changes her car ambassadorial deals so often it’s genuinely hard to keep up. She’s been through Audi, Volvo, Renault, Jaguar, and now this!

Why even one of these brands would want her after she’s already extolled the virtues of another is beyond me, but she must have a good agent. Oh, wait…..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Considering all the folks who were walking around RTE, smelling their own flatulence, and espousing the wonders of an electric car (looking at you Prime Time hosts), wouldn't surprise me if there are many, many 'free' cars.

Also, saw Stefanie Preissner on the Tonight Show, and wow, she has piled the weight back on. She's back to her heaviest.

Also, she was essentially acting as a PR for RTE, and attacked Imelda Munster who she claimed 'was tryin to start a bar fight'. Even the folks on the panel, with no dog in the fight, were very quick to defend Imelda. Claire Brock even defended her, as she wasn't there to defend herself. (It's Cowardly, imo, to attack an individual on a public media platform, when they are not there).

Ms Munster has to go to mattresses on RTE because they've lied at every available opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭briany

The car thing doesn't even seem that bad with respect to the rot that's been exposed further up. It just seems like typical 'cute hoor'-ism that we all know goes on up and down this country since time immemorial. I'm sure our Marty could write several volumes about all the favours and backhanders he's been offered or promised by gregarious red-faced men in countless GAA club bars since the 1980s or whenever he became a celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

Absolutely. They are so many who seem to really think the rte job entitles them to a lot of freebies. It's a culture.

It's very hard to change the culture in an organisation, workplace, county teams, football clubs. Usually a core element have to be rooted out.

It's all going to come out with RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭geographica

What in hell has this got to do with the discussion? 🙄

“Also, saw Stefanie Preissner on the Tonight Show, and wow, she has piled the weight back on. She's back to her heaviest.”

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I wonder who paid the annual motor tax, insurance & maintenance costs for the vehicle while on "loan" to Marty.

The car thing has been going on for decades

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You have been describe as a top talent, what is your top talent?

And how on earth have you managed to hide it for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

To conrinue the Mafia vibe there will be a lot of connected though not made people in the Dublin media looking for a step up now that some RTE made people are in trouble. Also Ballsy could see his RTE salary being capped if new salary rules are introduced. The most interesting thing about a scandal like this is that it is like a KAL007 event for media and "talent" networks, Back in the Cold War, the Soviets show down a Korean airliner and killed everyone on board. However, it lit up the Soviet communications system and the West learned a lot about the Soviet air force and defence. Watching for favourable pieces and defences of RTE in the media could be interesting,

There might be a good media studies/sociology or even Statistics paper on the frequencies of appearances by "talent" represented by various agents on the LLS and the decline in audience figures as people got tired of seeing the same faces again and again. What made the LLS under Gaybo was its sheer unpredictability and the professionalism of Gaybo.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

sort of.

he will have a vat liability to revenue if his sales exceed his purchases (for the most part).

and he aint purchasing goods/products/services to add value to on-sell making him VAT neutral.

it is more likely a company he owns that may have a vat exposure to revenue.

i am presuming he has breached the vat registration threshold.

so the 1 transaction re the car is most likely vat neutral, all the sales to rte should have vat included as part of the invoice.

he is a subbie i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

One very simple question for Marty Morrissey to be asked ... "when was the last time you purchased a car for yourself"

Get popcorn, sit back..

On Primetime tonight they were already starting with the requirement to increase & reform the licence fee to fill the void that will be left from the predicted drop in advertising revenue after this, where sponsors distance themselves from the RTE brand.

So it looks like almost predictably the first port of call is to hit the public for funding rather than cut costs to suit the **** show they have landed themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Cheeky cnuts

RTÉ Procurement Policy Statement

RTÉ is committed to providing the broadest range of value for money, quality content and services for all ages, interests and communities (See RTÉ Vision Mission Values in the Inside RTÉ section). So achieving value for money in the procurement of works, supplies and services is essential to support its work in providing high quality service to the public in a cost effective and efficient manner. RTÉ complies with the EU Procurement legislation and Irish Procurement Guidelines published by the Department of Finance. The guiding principles are objectivity, transparency, fairness and equality of treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

classic. rte should be made choose between the 2.

why not try to increase commercial cos fees are gonna drop? cos fees dont require any output or viewership.

i'll happily pay a licence if there are no ads like bbc.

rte has become too bloated.

hopefully this results in a change, but i doubt it very much.

the politicians have no appetite for it either which is an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

What rumours are you hearing about Marty? PM me

I'm fat, I don't see an issue with pointing it out. Managed to shed a couple of pounds too, thru making a few changes. But I'm still chunky. People point it out to me, and I take no offence. It just means I gotta make a few changes to not let it get out of hand.

She'd discussed her weight loss for many years, and it was very noticable. And really surprising, haven't seen her on TV in a long while.

But her appearance on The Tonight Show was just a waste of time. And her attacking Imelda Munster over questions that genuinely needed to be asked sounded like FF/ RTE spin. Even the other contributors to the panel were having none of it. Munster has HAD to be aggressive in her questioning, as RTE are just pushing spin rather than cold, hard facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Another "bekind" alt I see.

Imagine a grown man actually doing that repeatedly.

Cash will be the end of us Marty.

Never a Truer word spoken Bisto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I happen to think it’s very kind to defend a person who is being attacked for gaining weight

• Advertisement

Words have no strength, weight or meaning unless we allow them to.

Off Topic, but relevant, imo.

On Prime Time tonight, Helen MacEntee (I think I spelled that right) was discussing the new 'hate' legislation that is being proposed. As Sarah McInerney pointed out, our levels of what we find 'offensive' is different, and no 'law' can essentially legislate for that. (Even MacEntee didn't seem to know the legislation herself-not a good look).

They even spoke to folks, many of whom were liberal minded, who would like to see some form of legislation, but found the proposed legislation far too 'extreme'. A garda, a Solicitor, and a judge would all be in disagreement as to what would be defined as 'hate-speech' or 'hateful behaviour'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement