Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

You’re hardly making a brave stand for free speech when you’re sitting in your bedsit calling a woman on the television fat. 😂 I have never seen such delusions of grandeur before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

A Bedsit? In this economy? You think I can afford a bedsit?

Now who's delusional?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

What you say in theory is true .... and is used as the excuse by these so-called 'stars' when they defend their obscene money .... the reality is rather different:

1. Viewership depends not on these 'stars' but on the content of their programmes .... a show with a presenter philosophizing on the merits of the wibbly wobby wonder is hardly going to be missed ... and anyone can do what Tubridy does on that radio show ... the presenter of the LLS has changed several times .... and viewers remained ....
    2. Yes ... they are supposed to be paid for all that background and rehearsal work .... but what rehearsals are needed for Tubridy interviewing Imelda May or Padraig Harringston for the umpteenth time?? ... the only rehearsals Tubridy would be doing is the toy show stuff ... as well as getting used to it at the start ...
    3. A staleness has crept in .... and I get the feeling the same old guest were recycled because it made it easier for Tubridy et al ...
    4. Between salaries, benefit in kind and expenses ... yes some of these guys are on at least 10K an hour .... as regards salary alone it could be 8K an hour ....
    5. I don't see why someone could not do this 'job' for less ..... it is time this myth of they cannot be done without is seen through .... anyone could present Tubridy's radio show for example .... as Oliver Callan has proven .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Are we moving to hair transplants and teeth fixing today?

Great.

https://www.hrbr.ie/testimonial/marty-whelan/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭geographica

And you felt the need to be one of the cranks? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Rumer has it marty was demanding 5 grand cash for these little Renault outings, although he said he didn't accept a cent, what surprised me more about this is , Marty was driving around in a 5 year old Renault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Was watching Prime Time's reporting of the scandal and they had a clip of Tubridy presenting at one of the Renault events. His words in the clip were "That's some talent." Perhaps the RTE staff are enjoying some of this too. The new DG is going to have to do a lot of hard work to rebuild confidence in RTE and the morale of RTE staff.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Tid bits of info here or there. Being dragged out by RTE until the Dail goes on holidays in the hope another scandal arises over the summer (Golfgate size)

They need to dump everything they know right now onto the table. This is a joke, pure and deliberate delay tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’d say it was a new model every year. It might have been every 6 months.

On the show he did around Ireland, can you see the car reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

8 months pregnant at the time, apparently.

Intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Did you declare this double income to Revenue ?

It is possible that somebody is dripfeeding this information.

Tubs

Musical

Marty

.....all on different days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mountain

Is there no end to your nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Marty Mobile scandal was convenient. The problem for the Tubridy fans hoping for a return of Tubridy to RTE is that people seem to genuinely like Marty Morrissey.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I will continue to pay my licence fee and I would encourage everybody to do so.

RTE is a great public server broadcaster.

a new DG will start next week and we should give him a chance.

at the end of the day nothing illegal happened.

i value the work done by RTE and it is high time this witch hunt is stopped.

let the new DG have a good start next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

It seems loveable Marty has pressed the panic button to cover his own backsi before the sh*t hits the fan over other employees with certain perks outside RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

He said he got authorisation from RTÉ - RTÉ hasn’t confirmed this authorisation or at least haven’t done so up to yesterday evenings drive time radio show- all they did was repeat Marty’s statement which indicates that he notified RTÉ of the arrangement.

One possible reason for the “secrecy” was simply in the current climate, Marty felt the optics didn’t look good and decided to end the arrangement - however, the FF senator who asked the question originally about car allowances had no knowledge of Marty’s arrangement in advance and it was RTÉ that essentially threw Marty under the bus, but without then actually answering the senators original question. (Can’t remember the senators name but he was on TV3 last night talking about this)

RTE are obviously offering up small fry errors of judgement ( and in Marty’s case considering he was open with RTÉ on this arrangement, I view that as very unfair to Marty) instead of getting under the bonnet of the much bigger issues that are obviously there

Yep- I’d prefer “The plank” over someone who just looks on edge the whole time, interrupts his guests and has too much misdirected energy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

By that logic business to business transactions shouldn't be charging vat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Its tax evasion and a criminal offence.

Marty should have to face full criminal action from revenue like everyone else would

This should not stop a review of RTE to find out who else is hiding dodgy deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭briany

@jmcc

The problem for the Tubridy fans hoping for a return of Tubridy...

is that their particular wing of the hospital only allows for 2 hours of radio/TV a day and absolutely no bright colours.

Tubridy will be snapped up by TodayFM if RTÉ lets him go- he’ll be on less dosh but he’ll still make a decent living out of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Also the line of "oh I didn't know how it worked, I just borrowed the car" is rubbish

He was a brand ambassador for BMW before this "loan" from Renault. I guess too much tax had to be handed over for the BMW deal so this was a better arrangement with less questions. Questions are if the BMW deal and this Renault deal was on the go at the same time. Hard to tell with old Marty playing the "poor old man" show

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Again, just because you/people “like” Morrissey more than Tubridy or the Exec. board does not mean he hasn’t done anything wrong here. It’s complete double standards to demand Tubridy is never seen or heard on RTÉ again and the board all be sacked. and then turnaround and say “ah shure Marty is a great lad, he didn’t mean it, it’s an honest mistake”. It’s all part of the same culture of corruption, greed, and deceit.

Though a “lesser” crime in the eyes of many, what Marty Morrissey did could actually lead to him being in more trouble with Revenue than what Tubs did. What Tubs did is immeasurably worse from a moral perspective, but for people to say “Marty has done nothing wrong here” is frankly, bollocks.

You have no proof of that- you do not have access to what Marty declared to Revenue - your post is over reaction at best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

If you are VAT registered then you can claim for any VAT that you pay, it couldn't be any simpler!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement