Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options
  • 06-07-2023 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The women’s World Cup starts on the 20th July with Ireland playing on the opening day against joint hosts Australia. They are in Group B - Australia, Canada, Nigeria, Rep. of Ireland. 

I have to admit that I’m an occasional football watcher but I do love the World Cup. I think the girls deserve our support so I plan on getting bunting, etc, this weekend and doing up the outside of the house. Will you be getting into the spirit and cheering them on?

As I said, I’m not knowledgeable on who is who so I’d love to see some posts about the players so I’m better informed before kick off. 

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Won't be watching, Derry had to remove their manager due to unsubstantiated rumors yet vera gets a pass despite an investigation finding her culpable for abuse of young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’m gonna have to look into the Vera story a bit more as you’re not the first person to mention it.

It shouldn’t be used against the players though.

If players supporting her as they haven't asked her to step aside then they are condoning her actions. Look at the recent interview with the team captain , it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of her leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

Are these the 'up the RA' ladies?

This is the World Cup so, like the men’s comp, there are teams from across the world competing. I plan on watching as many games as I can.

But the answer to your question is - yes. But it is a catchy tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You mean the comments made while sitting beside Vera and saying that it's nothing out of the ordinary to have disagreements with your manager? That they're used to her management style?

You think the captain should reverse Saipan it and have the manager sent home the week before the world cup?

Plenty of MLS females would wish they the girls in green would support them considering the stuff she has been alleged to do. She is been enabled by the fai and Irish team to continue her "methods".

• A few points right off the bat

Firstly I gave the OP greenlight to open a thread here because they (and a few others) were unhappy it was moved to general sports. You'll have to liaise with the mods there if you want it closed off OP.

Secondly I’m not going to tolerate this thread being turned into “but Vera Pauw”, If you want to discuss Vera, start a thread about her. If you’re in this thread it’s to discuss the womens soccer team and the womens World Cup.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How big a deal will this be with Joe public?

We Irish love a bandwagon so I'm sure this will be no different when it comes to column inches in the media and soundbites from the public.

The core demographic for this will be young girls and I think the game times are good in that regard, 11am and 1pm on weekdays when they are off school.

But I don't think the traditional soccer watching demographics (males from pre teen to old age) will be that pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Joe public has gotten pretty big into recent hockey and rowing tournaments because Irish are doing well. This is much bigger than that. In fact I'd say the demographic would skew more towards males from pre-teen to old age than women of the same demographic in a lot of cases here which is as ever a shame but is improving all the time.

At least people will probably watch the matches this time which is more than you can say for the likes of the Katie Taylor bandwagon in recent years.

• Advertisement

My girls are in Perth so I bought a few tickets for the Canada v Ireland game as it’s being played there. Few of their mates said they’d go too. Then their boss didn’t want to miss out on a night out either (it’s at 8pm Oz time) and has also bought tickets 😂

The tickets cost me less than 25 euro each.

My brother is a big fan of the women’s game and not just for the leg watching. He watched the euros and said that some games were top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I mean, fans aren't gonna tell you the games are crap but they like watching anyway. However, like the mens side, zero interest in soccer because it's just too slow. However, I wish the girls the best of luck, they'll probably get further than the lads can. The bandwagon will come the closer they get/if they get to the "big" games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Bright enough performance against France, after Zambia I had expected the worst.

The non-selection of Leanne Kiernan still seems crazy to me. I'd have chosen her over a lot of members of the current squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'll be watching, though I'm absolutely a bandwagon hopper. I don't watch women's football normally

Would be great if they can do well enough to raise their profile. Hopefully it'll get people on board to go to the NI match in Lansdowne Road in September. That's €30 for a family of four, absolute bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

This thread in AH will descend into the usual cesspit of begrudgery, innuendo and rumours... 🙄

Im off to the soccer forum ........................

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

This thread in AH will descend into the usual cesspit of begrudgery, innuendo and rumours... 🙄

And that's only when it will be about the Irish team.

Wait till England start progressing in the tournament, then it's going to be begrudgery, innuendo and rumours on speed

Is Leanne Kiernan the Andy Reid or Wes Houlihan of ladies soccer ?

I’ll run a sweepstake for the comp if theres any interest? There’s 32 teams so I’ll leave it open till just before the first kick off. If interested, just say so in a post.

Don’t know if I should randomly generate the list of teams and allocate the team to the order of who posted they want in. Or, randomly generate those who want in and then against the alphabetical teams list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If you're doing a sweepstake, put me in. I'll probably get Haiti or The Philippines anyway...😄

I'm sure the method of allocation wouldn't really matter, but I'd probably go with the first way you mentioned.

• Advertisement

FFS will you start a new thread about her? This is my second attempt at a thread for the Women’s World Cup. Not a hope am I letting it get closed or moved again.

Ireland could get knocked out in the group stages but I hope this thread will still be posted in highlighting great players, amazing goals, bad ref decisions, you know all that usual stuff that has been posted in previous Men’s World Cup threads.

Now, do you wanna join my sweepstake or not? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Best of luck to our ladies in Australia. It is a great showcase for women's sport. I am looking forward to the games.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Won't be watching as I've no interest in the sport but hope they do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

We will be watching. My girls (12 and 6) are big into sport and doing martial arts and the viking challange for kids and pull ups and weights and all sorts. They love seeing Irish women represented in sport at the highest levels (especially the rugby and the boxing and the MMA). It means a lot to them.

The match times are awkward as hell but I have set it up with projector screens and they won't hear the results so even if they can't watch the match live they will watch it as near as - as soon as they get home - with all the popcorn and munchies money can buy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

The actual result doesn't seem to matter in women's sport, the bar seems to be set pretty low regarding expectations.

Look at the recent women's six nations rugby, they finished bottom of the table, zero points, massive negative points difference. But weren't beaten as badly as expected by England, and the comments on here included:

"Credit to the Irish girls for making a contest of it."

"Remember we were mooted to lose this game by over 100 points but we kept England to half that. That in itself is an incredible achievement and a marked improvement."

Note: Plenty of men's teams also get poor results but you don't see ridiculous comments like the ones above defending them.

I'd suggest you read back comments on the men's team performance against France

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The men's team only lost 1-0 to France and were very unlucky not to have got a draw, and that's against the best team in the world in a competitive match.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm a season ticket holder, I was there, it was a great performance

But I was replying to the comment that the results don't matter in the women's game and that no one would defend a poor result in the men's game, which is just bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So its on the TV then? Last I heard about it, all the european broadcasters refused to pay the ridiculous amounts FIFA were trying to sell the rights for

Advertisement