Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

And if the proposition on the voting card is for unitary state and a majority in the north and south vote for it then what do you do. Would you accept the democratic decision of the irish nation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It matters little what the polls quote - what matters is the opinion of the SoS for NI. He can, for any reason, decide that such a poll will pass, and then announce it as happening.

However, he is likely to be in close conversation with his counterpart in Dublin, and those conversations will have been long and detailed before a whisper comes out as to what they have been talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes, I think this is what will happen.

Whenever Dublin says it is ready through back channels, a poll will be called.

The SoS is not under any legal obligation to explain his/her reasoning nor has to evidence it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

But isn't the point of having the "likely to pass" criteria to ensure we only have one bp.

What do you suggest the stakeholders will use to come to the opinion that it is likely to pass and now is the time?

Similar question to you, how will Dublin know it is ready and that NI is ready too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I think the, 'likely to pass' criteria was intentionally vague. Combined with the 7 year minimum between further polls, designed to prevent the instability of pushing for one every time it rains but not tying the SoS to specifics which would potentially bind them to calling it/not calling it at an inconvenient time.

Like much of the GFA, an exercise in realpolitik over specific ideology.

When it seriously commits to creating a plan/proposal. NI was 'ready' as soon as it was evident that devolution would never work, which was a long time ago for any realists.

FF/FG don't want to do it for their own power concerns, but will they always be in driving seat?

NAtionalists now need something to sell and a Plan is that something.

While I agree with the two posters that the uk and ireland would be in close contact with each other if it seemed to be getting close to a tipping point. But, what exactly is going to determine the tipping point? I suspect Francie will claim it will happen as soon as a plan is ready but i think opinion polls will still be used to judge the popularity of any plan and if the response isn't positive then the bp won't happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The two governments will know when because that is the time they both want it to happen. It is a purely political decision.

I would think Irish Gov wants to end the partition which is nothing but a severe PIA. It makes many political questions much harder than the would be in a UI.

I would think that eventually the UK Gov will have no real interest in NI, and would welcome it being taken over by a UI. I think that time is approaching. They can offer lots of incentives to both NI and the Irish Gov to help resolve their wish to get out of the place.

Ask why did the UK Gov decide to leave Hong Kong when they did not have to?

We know why they left the US Colonies. We know why thy left India. We know why they left Africa. We know why they retain the various tax havens that are now British Crown Territories.

So why have they not left NI? They fought a 30 year war to stay there. It is not a tax haven. It is not a rich part of the UK. It has no real resources that are vital to the UK as a whole.

So why? What is it that makes NI a keeper?

What if under these circumstances the opinion polls have it not passing, under this hypothetical you think the bp would just go ahead anyways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

My point is we are moving away from that. A border poll like you suggest will never be on the table. What could be on the table is some halfway house or joint authority or a federal state or a confederal state. If nationalists don't pivot towards those kind of solutions and sit on their unitary state hands for the next 100 years, they will dwindle and dwindle, and it will remain out of reach.

The basic way for a Gov to get a referendum through is to find out the issues blocking it and remove them by taking suitable actions - either changing the law, giving undertakings, or plain bribery. If the Gov of either jurisdiction needs to do something to get it through, they can and likely will. No Gov would like such a referendum to fail - unless they wanted it to fail.

For example - The governments might consider one or some of the following.

1. British Citizenship for anyone born in NI, and their children, (and grandchildren?) - that can be done as it is within the British Gov's gift.
    2. A new constitution for a UI? Maybe, but more likely, modifications to accommodate certain sections misgivings - well that can be done - up to a point.
    3. Transition period - possibly a staged one - some changes have to happen quickly, while other will take time.
    4. UK Gov continues subvention - well better ask the UK Gov that one.

Attitudes can change quite quickly when the public sees decision time is upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sometimes as in abolishing the Seanad or giving more powers to Oireachtas Committees, the Government can't get a referendum through.

Your suggestions 1-4 will have little or no impact on the referendum.

However, you make one very salient point - neither Government would like such a referendum to fail. You believe that means they will push it through, but you miss one overarching point - inertia. The safest path to ensuring that a border poll doesn't fail is to continue to say the conditions have not been met for holding one. When a politician has a choice between doing nothing which has no consequence for him or doing something which might backfire on him, my money is always on the doing nothing.

I suppose what I am trying to find out if what you are thinking could involve a scenario where public opinion is against what is put before them but the government might just claim to be ready to force a border poll ?

If not, then are we not back to opinion polls playing an important role?

Or like the current Taoiseach did with SSM, they might see the bandwagon coming and jump enthusiastically onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I don’t know how many people are emigrating from ni to roi or vice versa, but it’s not very many. I know a few people who now work in Dublin but commute from ni and say they would never ever move home to there.

so that tells us that the vast majority of southerners like living in the south and the vast majority of northerners like living in the north.

so when you paint ‘our country is better than yours’, it’s just arrogant nonsense. The two countries are different and have their pros and cons.

Now that is nonsense. Scotland would be leaving. Entirely different situation. If Scotland was independent and 50%+1 voted to unite with England, then of course devolution for Scotland would be very likely in the new arrangement

I know plenty (granted I'm one myself so there's a selection bias). I do know a damn sight more living in the North and working in the South, a lot fewer the other way (due to lower salaries, not some great moral quandary).

Most working in Dublin and living in the North are doing so because they can't afford to buy in Dublin, at least in the sort of areas or sort of sizes they'd like; I can sympathise. Thanks to remote working, it isn't an issue for me.

A bigger factor for me was not bringing my family up with the same bullsh*t we have.

The way you present the issue is interesting: “I do know a damn sight more living in the North and working in the South, a lot fewer the other way (due to lower salaries, not some great moral quandary)”

someone partisan the other way would say it’s due to higher cost of living in south.

I though take a more rounded opinion. It’s because of higher salaries in roi AND lower cost of living in ni. They are having their cake and eating it. Who can blame them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

I just can't see the working class unionist accepting a united Ireland. They are wedded to their Britishness even though deep down they must know that Britain would happily cut NI loose. We would be wise not to underestimate what they might do if they were to lose a referendum and become part of a one nation island.

Financially taking on the North as it is currently would be a burden possibly too great for us as a taxpayer to bear. The NI state is heavily subsidised by the UK and that's not including all the pensioners and social welfare recipients who would be transferred onto Irish books financially. Would the people in NI accept having the Euro?

Agreed. We have a huge public sector that would immediately need significant pay raises. This week food is 25% dearer down south, clothes 17% dearer and entertainment 38% dearer.

it’s dramatic. I was in Dublin for a day a couple of weeks ago and I was shocked at prices of snacks etc.

Public opinion changes, and a Gov can shift opinion by making it an issue worth backing. It really is about creating a bandwagon that is attractive for many groups to agree with and jump aboard.

Now it took a long time to get the divorce referendum through. The change to homosexuality was done through legislation, and its completion is only happening now with the quashing of all convictions being enacted. The reversal of the eighth amendment took 30 years in total, but the eighth was put through in less than a year - despite its wholly badly drawn up wording. We had two goes at a couple of EU ones, but got there in the end.

Opinion polls track opinion, they should not lead it. That leadership is up to the politicians to make important issues stand out as important to the electorate, and make them an issue worth standing up for - as happened in the SSM referendum. It mattered to many people, but those people made it matter to many more that had no issue with it, but agreed it as a matter of justice that it pass (by a sizeable majority - particularly when compared to the divorce one).

An issue like that is the current debate on neutrality. Should we be neutral - and what does that even mean? Will it end up being decided by a referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

With pension entitlements coming in for every employee in Ireland plus the planned living wage cost of living in Ireland is going to go through the roof so if you think it's dear now you ain't seen nothing yet.

I specifically avoided making it partisan; I specified that it wasn't any sort of moral quandary; higher CoL/Higher salaries are just two ways to skin a cat.

The price of a pint is higher in Belfast than Dublin right now.

It’s hard to raise a young family now in Belfast with the price of drink!

the weekly price checker says average price of pint in neighbourhood pub in Uk is more than a £1 cheaper than neighbourhood pub in ROI. Of course we can always find exceptions. Is your post suggesting that the cost of living is not much higher in ROI?

Ultimately we will judge whether there is a bandwagon to jump on from the opinion polls and if they don't improve there is no way a bp will happen just because someone in government decides "we" are ready. If that were to happen I suspect they wouldn't be in government for much longer.

You pointed out how shocked you were by the price of, 'snacks' in Dublin, I was merely pointing out that I don't think it is much cheaper getting by in Belfast, bar housing costs.

I've certainly noticed a substantial narrowing of the gap in terms of supermarket prices recently, fuel is more expensive in the North. I haven't paid utilities in the North in too long to compare, though I believe my mobile phone bill is quite substantially higher than the equivalent would be in the North.

If you were to ask me which city is the best value for a night out/a meal/entertainment, I wouldn't be pointing to the expense of Dublin while ignoring the massive increase in costs in Belfast since I last lived there.

The biggest problem is that you're comparing apples to oranges when talking about costs in isolation; a bigger factor is disposable income after the bills are paid; I know what I'd be paid if I took a comparable job to my own in the North, and even with lower costs, I'd have a lot less in my pocket at the end of the month. I think this is largely the case across most strata of society.

I do understand the appeal of living North/working South, trying to get the best of both worlds. For me, the politics of NI don't make it worthwhile

Back to my point. The only true measure is that people in ni seem happy to stay in ni and people in roi seem happy to stay in roi. You moved so you think you have better quality of life in roi. That’s your call. It is a tiny tiny percentage position.

It seems 99% on both sides of the border are content with status quo. Yes, they may have fanciful aspirations that lead them to declare such in polls that don’t matter. If the real poll ever comes along, people will trust the status quo more than fanciful aspirations. It’s just how it is, people fear change. And brexit has been a huge lesson for everyone ie better the status quo than the fanciful ideas. Better the devil you know! That’s the biggest problem facing United islanders - many shinners will be voting to keep status quo when the poll is for real.

if it was the other way around ie we were living in a Ui for 100 years with a devolved ni and the people of ni were given opportunity to vote for leaving Ui and joining Uk, I don’t think it would stand a snowball in hells chance even with a unionist majority living here. same problem - better the devil you know

so even polls were saying 60 wanted Ui, I would doubt the real poll would win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

@downcow "Back to my point. The only true measure is that people in ni seem happy to stay in ni and people in roi seem happy to stay in roi."

Had Brexit not occurred, I think you would be right. But, even with the Protocol and Windsor framework, there will be a divergence between the North and South economies. It is hard to imagine the UK subvention continuing at the same level when the UK economy is so damaged.

I think , from recent opinion polls (whatever they may be worth which perhaps is not much) that people in South are more likely to just welcome unification if it happens rather than to actively seek it. In a border poll they will tend to vote for a united Ireland. Pre-Brexit, the gains from a united Ireland for people in the North were relatively small. But those gains are likely to grow as the EU and UK drift further apart.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement