Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ryan Tubridy knew what money he was getting from RTÉ and he knew what was being lauded to the public as a cut in his pay wasn’t true yet he let the public think he took a pay cut. That’s bad enough to be removed permanently in my view. There are plenty of people that can do his 1 hour a day in radio for a lot less of a fee, and Patrick Kielty is already taking over the Late Late Show so it’s only the Radio show that’s relative at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Plenty of consumers are more than happy to get the "cash price" from tradespeople, which is always ex VAT and also not declared for income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Renault should also not have given him the loan of a car in lieu. Its extremely difficult to value the loan of a car for taxation purposes. Especially Renaults which used to be notoriously prone to breaking down!

I have no doubt it wasn't just one car either, but whatever was available, making it even more difficult to track for taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

In a nutshell this kind of stuff is extremely questionable, this ‘car ambassador’ stuff.

Implicitly it puts an onus on the recipient not to badmouth the product or the company and when one has the very powerful and influential position of a mic on the National Broacaster ,that can be very very important.

Thats why Car companies are not offering Beemers to me and you to drive around in.

The inevitable request for the ‘small favour’ will come in, however small, and if you are ‘in hock’ to the company it’s very very difficult to refuse.

One in positions of influence in Media Outlets especially employees as opposed to contractors, should know that

and not be whoring themselves to every opportunity that knocks on their door, because of their position.

Thats when credibility and responsible broadcasting goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

We as in, we the licence payers, we the tax payers. Dooley opened a hole, if he’s too afraid of what’s buried there, shows his fortitude as a politician, and frankly shows him up as much as Marty. That’s his problem. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Dig on, we the licence payers want to get to the bottom of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So Tubridy lied in his statement did he? He said he should have owned up.

Was he lying then or lying now?

You assign no fault whatsoever to Tubridy in that?

RTE didn't "want" to pay him that way. They paid him that way under the counter. Tubridy and NK well knew the public uproar that would ensue if the payments were declared. If you imagine Tubridy as a public affairs commentator wasn't aware of that, then you must really think him clueless at his job.

They colluded in the scheme. We may well find NK instigated the scheme.

We don't "really want it to be the fault" - we're calling it as we see it. Of course RTE are to blame but Tubridy isn't blameless. Tubridy's reputation is in tatters, deservedly so.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was once told by the taxman that ignorance was no defence.

The motor tax, insurance, service costs and fuel expenses all need to be closely investigated also.

Plenty of other "brand ambassadors" for car brands and dealerships in Ireland, all very publicly announced. Many Dublin GAA footballers drive around in branded vehicles. I suspect Revenue will now be looking at this with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Free houses!

Fianna Fáil Senator Timmy Dooley has said that RTÉ GAA Commentator Marty Morrissey was “unfairly and unnecessarily” pulled into the RTÉ pay controversy at the Oireachtas PAC meeting on Thursday.

Senator Dooley told RTÉ radio’s Morning Ireland that his questions at the PAC meeting had queried who in RTÉ was getting paid a car allowance out of licence fees? Were there people getting a car allowance who did not have a car or even a driver’s licence? “But for some reason, RTÉ management decided to create this notion about an individual who had a car loan, etc., etc., creating a level of hype and it required Marty Morrissey then to effectively clarify the situation. “In his case, he’s not getting a car allowance. And so his situation didn’t relate to the question that was asked. And neither is he a car ambassador. So I’m sort of somewhat confused as to why RTÉ management decided to create a situation for Marty that required him to come out now and clarify the situation.”

When it was pointed out that Ryan Tubridy had been taken off air because of the controversy, Senator Dooley said that the two situations were entirely different. In the Tubridy case significant payments were made “in a clandestine way” that effectively hid the payments.

“Marty Morrissey has gotten nothing from RTÉ, from the license holder other than his salary. So therefore, quite frankly, he has been pulled into this controversy, I think unfairly and unnecessarily.” It had been a car loan, no licence fee funds were involved, no RTÉ money was involved “He has been paid for the work that he has done. And yes, he had an arrangement, as he said in relation to the loan of a car. He has explained that and they are two entirely different situations.

“I think we’ve got to be careful through all of this in trying to get to the bottom of resolving the culture in RTÉ that we don’t scapegoat people. And I think the same applies to some extent to Ryan, probably because they’re high profile names.

“They get outed and people make comments and they get somewhat carried away in public discourse. At the end of the day, somebody at senior management in RTÉ signed off on Ryan Tubridy’s contract. That wasn’t Ryan Tubridy’s fault, quite frankly, himself and his agent or his agent on his behalf, sought to do the best deal they could, unwise perhaps that they’ve pushed it so far, but not nothing wrong with somebody trying to fight to get the greatest deal for themselves.”

• Advertisement

From the Irish Times.

Dimmy Tooley opened this can of worms, now he regrets it. No wonder the people of Clare turfed him from the Dail. More proof that the Seanad is filled with useless or failed politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Marty Morrissey has an income outside of RTE. He's probably Ireland's best know sports broadcaster and as such does a few gigs a year here and there. This would be taxable income and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have an accountant dealing with that income. I'd be even more surprised if the accountant hadn't asked him at some stage about things like the car and other perks he might have gotten. That would normally be an issue for Revenue to ensure he is compliant and nothing to do with RTE or us. Whilst he drove a Renault on some programme a couple of years ago, I have never associated him with the brand in any way and I'd be a very ardent GAA man.

Where it gets complicated is the mileage he would have been claiming and how that was done. Was he simply refunded his petrol receipts or did he have a mileage rate. He does some serious travelling, often covering 2-3 matches in a weekend. As of yet there is no question that he behaved improperly with regards to Revenue. As far as we know it was all declared. What i do find odd is that he didn't have a company car. Any rep doing his mileage for an ordinary company would get one.

What is odd is the timing of handing back the car. He did it on the 23rd, this story broke on the 22nd. That's an odd thing to do and it's not just a coincidence.

FWIW on the basis that I've never heard the man mention Renault I don't have an issue with it, but it's obvious he received it as payment for his MC job. At this stage it's for Revenue, they'll decide what's right and what isn't.

That's bullcrap. The first thing everyone thinks is tax implications. Even if he DIDN'T need to pay BiK everyone would know to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There should also be an RTE investigation to verify if any of the codes of conduct that applied at the time were breached.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Timmy Dooley now trying to help out his countyman Marty. Laughable.

• Back in my parents’ day those latter entities were described as “semi state bodies”, a term I haven’t heard used in decades. When I was in school in the 70s the teachers would use that term.

As others have pointed out, Marty was a brand ambassador for BMW before. Now this raises two prospects:

1. He knew well about taxes due on receiving a car loan. The cars all these ambassadors receive are I believe loaned and its possible not just one car but a number of them.
    2. He knew nothing about the taxation around receiving such cars as loans of gifts. Either someone else took care of that, or he never bothered with it.

Maybe Marty has accidently revealed something about how these car loans work, that some RTE recipients are clueless about how the BIK, etc is paid. So maybe they haven't paid, or maybe RTE pay! That's just my theory!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Did Timmy Dooley ring Morning Ireland asking to get on, or did Morning Ireland contact him.

Either way, he realises he's responsible for one of Clare's most beloved son's getting a load of bad press the last couple of days. The Bannermen don't like that. Dooley knows this won't be forgotten at the next election and is trying to minimise damage. He's as slimy a coward as the rest of them.

This whole RTE saga has a long long way to go yet and a lot more toes will be stepped on in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Has it been properly verified that he has not been tax compliant?

• Marty himself is a bit of a maths wizard, a qualified maths teacher; although he likely does employ an accountant/tax consultant, it wouldn’t surprise me that a man who by nature loves figures & calculations might not do his own accounting. The issue with this is that he mightn't be 100% up to date with the legalities/regulations of all aspects of taxation. We will likely hear about this one way or another in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Don't think Lynch wasn't aware he was landing Timmy in it there with his voting public.

Timmy is obviously chasing something far more serious as he outlined.

I think the person/s who is tipping Timmy and co.... has been figured out at RTE (in that maybe they have access to the email or whatever). Or someone else is leaking to RTE what's been revealed or else he was set up. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Lynch who is leaking anonymously. Clealry, Suin or Doherty doesn't trust the executive. Maybe they're all at it. Certainly the Coveneys know the value of leaks...

Could be an inside job on the committee too, look no further than committee members complaining about how their fellow members are questioning... methinks someone wants a good job at RTE...

If the executive members survive - Lynch seems to be big buddies with Bakhurst - Lynch has played it beautifully. But I don't think RTE journalists will accept it and will keep digging.

It's getting to be a very dangerous game.

He knows he has got Bakhurst in. He thinks now he has leapt the fence.

NUJ vs The Board?

The Board make a revelation, the NUJ journalists make one of their own. Tit for Tat. Does feel like a civil war is brewing in RTE. Tubridy was close to the board, Marty closer to the staff.

Is Suin and Doherty telling the committee you can't trust these leaks from the executive board? You're being set up long term.

Committee is better off if it works with NUJ leaks only... and they might need to tighten that circle.

You'd genuinely wonder how these brand ambassador roles work from the tax side. If its just a straight-forward BIK car allowance from your employer, eg €10,000 a year, then its easily taxed and the employee is I think responsible for paying for car tax, insurance, diesel, etc etc

But for a brand ambassador role, who pays for all those and how is it counted? Its hard to quantify.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think you're giving Dooley too much credit. I don't think this was some strategic sleuthing based on inside information. He was blindly shooting into the dark with his line of question, thinking it makes him look like he's asking the tough questions, and if anything lands it's a bonus. He didn't factor in hitting one of his mates, a very popular one at that, and now he's desperately trying to cover his and Morrissey's arse.

Dooley's backtracking and very public support for Morrissey calls into question his impartiality and suitability to be a member of the Joint Committee.

#gift

I'd say it's a can of worms that's about to be opened, and an open goal for Revenue because its fairly easy to find with a search of Social media and Google.

• Advertisement

Dooley already lost his seat at the last general election.

Unfortunately the powers that be deemed him worthy of a seat in the Seanad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement