Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

Tell us the number of times? I only heard it once, when he posited a question. " In hindsight, would I have done things differently? Yes, I think I would have done things differently."

That is hardly evidence of not doing his job.

The truth seems to be that a decision was made by NK RT and DF to get around pay-cuts but making a payment under the table. There are the three people who have questions to answer. We have no idea what was said between AO'L and DF or SNiR and DF but it can only be assumed that some explanation or justification was offered by DF.

everything else is just manufactured outrage. Anyone with any knowledge of business , not just media, would be aware of the wining and dining of clients that happens. We may not like it , I would like to see a fully public funded RTE, but it is naïve in the extreme to pretend it doesn't happen. It is the role of the CFO to ensure payments are accounted for and recorded correctly but the CFO does not usually have oversight of every payment. That is normally the responsibility of the budget holder for each department.

But you never answered the important question, Even if I accept your view of the executive, , do you think it is appropriate for politicians to get involved in the hiring and firing of staff in a publicly funded body?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,853 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The truth seems to be that a decision was made by NK RT and DF to get around pay-cuts but making a payment under the table.

The truth is - had those with responsibility been doing their jobs then these people would not have been able to do it.

P.S. Re: politicians getting involved in publically funded bodies?

I see nothing wrong about politicians saying what they think should happen. They all do this. Gilmore did it with FÁS. Michael Noonan did it with the FAI etc etc.

@FrancieBrady "I see nothing wrong about politicians saying what they think should happen. They all do this. Gilmore did it with FÁS. Michael Noonan did it with the FAI etc etc."

Nor I. I do have a problem with politicians suggesting identifiable people within an organisation should lose their jobs. Particularly in a media organisation where independence from political interreference is paramount. There is an oversight board, the previous RTE Authority, in RTE for that very reason.

But what's more, can the next public meeting of the PAC be anything other than a farce when the chair, Mr. Stanley, has already said those witnesses before the board should lose their jobs?

Contrast the treatment of the witness between the PAC and the Arts, Media etc committee.

Where did he say they should lose their jobs?

He said they should stand aside.

The chair of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has said the new RTÉ boss’s first action should be to ask some members of the organisation’s executive team to “stand to one side”.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, we know that is your opinion, but have you objectively considered whether you have sufficient knowledge of what happened to consider them as sackable offences? Where do their rights sit in all of this? You have ruled them guilty without knowing the evidence.

• Advertisement

That is complete nonsense and nowhere near sufficient for someone to lose their job.

In a dismissal hearing, he would claim that he made decisions in good faith at the time, based on the best available evidence to him, in accordance with precedents, and as advised by the then CEO. Of course, he would do it differently in hindsight, but that defence is pretty strong against a dismissal charge.

Even the Special Criminal Court would give him a better hearing than you and Mr. Stanley.

It's not my job to sack them,

I will leave that to the CEO.

My 'opinion' is, having listened to the evidence presented to PAC, is that some of them should be sacked.

I think the Chair of the PAC is now the one that should stand aside. Imagine the outrage of posters here and SF politicians out there if a judge of the SCC had made a similar prejudicial statement about a good republican?

He ignored things he should have been taking actions on as the Chief Financial Officer. The buck stops somewhere and it is with him.

The bending over backwards to excuse people in these jobs is exactly why the system is so sick here.

We see this level of excusing right up to government level.

P.S. I won't be assisting in the rather desperate effort to divert to the Shinners.

Again, where did I bend over backwards to excuse people?

All I have said is that I haven't seen sufficient evidence to determine that his behaviour was gross misconduct, a level that would justify dismissal.

Yourself and the mob (including Stanley, he reminds me a bit of Stanley Laurel) take an "off with their heads" approach, and complain when it doesn't happen, but you seem to not even have an iota of understanding of employment law and the tests therein. You have now been asked several times to explain what he had done wrong to justify dismissal and you haven't been able to answer that and are now deflecting into other issues and moving goalposts around. Firstly, you dropped the notion that the Minister should fire them when it was explained to you that he couldn't, now you have moved from wanting the whole Executive Board dismissed to wanting one man fired.

So, please explain to us what these people or this man has done that justifies and deserves dismissal?

• Advertisement

This is a forum for 'opinions'.

I have very clearly given my opinion on why some of the Executive should be sacked.

I.E. It was their job to spot and question anomalies and they clearly didn't and admit to not spotting/asking the relevant questions. They would in hindsight is not good enough at this level IMO.

It is the CEO's responsibility to operate within employment law, not mine.

It is also his responsibility to ensure competency in the various depts he is responsible for.

I am glad that I don't work for you. Have a look at this article and tell us where, in your opinion, their behaviour sits, to justify instant dismissal.

Maybe you believe they were drunk at an RTE party and assaulted someone?

Failure to do your job as laid down in the job description will result in dismissal in any business that has to survive without subsidy.

It should be no different in the Public Service/government etc. But we know it is, there are always those to excuse and defend.

What you and I might think is irrelevant. That's not the same for Mr. Stanley who holds an important position as chair of PAC. The role of that committee is to find out what happened. Not to pillory someone because you don't like the answers. Or, in the case of Mr. Stanley in one case, that you don't understand the sequence of events and the differences between when dealing with the approval of expenditure and when providing information for the auditors.

Here is one comment from Wednesdays session

I have not been happy with some of our colleagues and the manner in which they phrased some of their questions. One can disagree with somebody but one can be respectful." (Senator Malcolm Byrne)

So even the members of these committees are aware of the inappropriate behaviour of some members.

You get respect if you give respect would be my code.

It was clear early on that some of the execs had no respect for the process and had to come back again because their answers were not satisfactory. It has been a criticism of almost everybody that this Board and Executive have been difficult, to say the least.

They turned it into the combatitive/confrontational environment. Some on PAC overstepped but the Board and Executive did too.

Failure to do your job doesn't actually result in dismissal anymore, maybe back in the 1950s it did.

Nowadays you have to demonstrate that you took steps to consider alternative positions, retraining etc., before you dismiss someone. I have seen nothing of sufficient gravity to warrant dismissal. Disciplinary action and sanctions quite possibly, but not worthy of dismissal. The CEO is already gone, the people around her don't appear to have had sufficient involvement to warrant dismissal.

Of course, that won't stop the likes of the chief of the witchhunt Mr. Stanley doing his best to ruin people's lives.

As there is an ongoing inquiry and they have shown that they are not forthcoming with all the facts unless under duress. It's not tenable to have somebody like that in their positions.

So Stanley has stayed within acceptable comment, calling on these people to be 'stood aside'.

Personally, I think any company not dependent on subsidy would have fired them already. That is my opinion because that is my experience of what happens in the real world.

To fully grasp the stupidity of Mr. Stanley Laurel's statements, you just have to consider who would answer his questions if they step aside.

Yes, in the real world, workers are fired often, and they don't have unions or funding behind them to take on the rogue employers, but I don't condone that sort of unlawful behaviour by employers, which you clearly do.

You ask for respect from others etc, yet you indulge your own disrespectfulness by coming up with demeaning names for certain politicians? Really?

Do you have an actual opinion on what happened in RTE and what should happen as a result?

P.S. 'Stepping aside' would not save them from scrutiny or questioning.

Clearly the main wrongdoer - Dee Forbes - has left the building and the PAC and Media Committee are feeding on scraps and are annoyed. Their questioning has been absurd at times, particularly Murphy and Stanley, as you have seen many posters comment on.

Some top executives should be moved on for the optics as the wrongdoing isn't anywhere near dismissal level, in the private sector when that happens, they are given large packages, but if that were to happen here, the usual lot would be out swinging their pitchforks.

• Advertisement

I think both committees have done sterling work in exposing the rot in the State broadcaster. And not allowing just Forbes to scapegoated. They (FF, FG SF members of PAC included) asked questions that showed that a number of people were sound asleep at the wheel of their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I can't say that I've read all of The Ditch's articles but I wonder is this the first time that they've posted something mildly critical of Sinn Fein

I wonder if this is an indicator that they will be critical of SF when they're (eventually) in power or is it just something they can point to when people accuse them of only ever attacking the government parties.

I'll truly believe that they're equal opportunity bashers when they write an article about a SF TD falling foul of planning regulations.

Not the first time, they have done several stories on SF TD's.

Oh really - Can you tell me who so I can search for them?

Google , the Ditch, SF TD and you'll find them. I can't manage to link from my phone.

Fair enough. I never saw those stories about Martin Kenny and Johnny Guirke before.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's all rather convenient that this all became apparent once D4bes was already on her going away holidays, isn't it?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

That's the way these things happen. People snipe at a leader when they are weak or on the way out.

Probably leaked by somebody disgruntled at not getting chosen over Bakhurst.

I wonder will it be one of those moved aside next week, as looks likely now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I suspect this RTE story had its origins in an auditor spotting an anomalous invoice that appeared to be a bit iffy. Why would an agent to the 'talent' (a lot of them) be being paid for consultancy?

After a few enquiries, it looked even more iffy, and the questions got different answers from different people who should be able to explain it. Where was the contract for this? Who authorised it? Think back to 'All the President's men' and a small incident in the Watergate building - a break-in - brought down Nixon.

So, red flag raised.

Advertisement