Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Just checked there seems I was switched to a smart plan without me knowing.

Can they switch you to a smart plan without your permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

no but if you are sure that is what happened then chase it up

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Were you with Energia? There seems to be a common theme here with people automatically being switched to smart plans

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭eddieoregan

Is the “BWG offer” for electricity & gas?, I only have electricity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I asked a few days ago was there a pattern of Electric Ireland customers being put on smart plans without their knowledge..............

*at the time of switching is what the post said

I am wondering if its a case of you coming off a fixed plan and then say you dont ring up in time, they default you to a smart meter plan based on your meter type. That would make alot of sense on how this is happening. (not that its right)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Reading this thread shows that financial illiteracy is widespread in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

In that scenario the pool of customers getting f*cked is much larger than just switchers.

We were out of contract for 3 months after smart meter installation and Bord Gais didn't move us off MCC01. Called Flogas during the switch to tell them they better confirm it, or we will go mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jayno66

I signed up for the BWG deal on 26th June, got a confirmation email but haven't heard anything from Flogas since. Is this normal does anyone know?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Electric Ireland have been the only supplier that has a 24 hr smart tariff

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭gerrykiddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yeah, I signed up on the 28th and haven't heard anything from Flogas bar the confirmation email too.

But I got an email from Airtricity (my current supplier) this morning saying that they're arranging my final bill as I'm switching, so something is obviously happening in the background!

Well now... I just checked my Airtricity billing portal, and they were giving a figure for a final bill that seemed high, and didn't seem to be including the over €200 credit I had built up. Credit that I had taken a screen shot off the day I went to switch.

And what does the agent on the webchat tell me?

"My apologies, the information on the website would not be accurate."

and

"The accurate information is on your official bill. Apologies again for the confusion".

So, basically, the website is telling me that I have credits built up etc., but the actual PDF bills are showing me that I don't. I politely pointed out to him that Airtricity displaying the wrong information on their website isn't "confusion", it's giving their customers false information, and that I'm pretty certain that there isn't any text on their billing webpage saying "all of the below could be wrong, please only use the PDF bill".

Anyhow, I'm now going through my PDF bills to make sure they're right. Is this pretty normal for suppliers, should I have known not to trust the information on the webpage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Never heard that excuse before, of course it's complete rubbish they're trying to keep your money simple as. Changing providers while in credit is always messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

Am i right in saying its cheaper to sign up to flow gas separate, the electric through the offer and gas separate? Just making sure my maths is correct

I've spent the last half an hour going through each PDF bill for the last year, and unfortunately the PDF bills do show that rather than being in credit for €200, we currently owe them €100. So the PDF bills are correct, and the website information was incorrect. Very annoying, but we will still make this money back with the switch, it will just take a few months longer to make it back. And I've learned a valuable lesson to actually use the PDF bills only to keep track, and not the website, even though I thought I was already doing the right thing by keeping an eye on it.

Of course, this also makes me happier that I'm switching. I had emailed Flogas about the switch, and they replied to say that the Gas is done, and the Electricity is in progress. I've asked them to confirm Rates and also the date the Gas switched over.

The most frustrating thing about all of this is how the onus is on the customer to keep on top of all this and check everything. At least I have a good head for figures and can figure it all out! Other customers could really struggle trying to decipher all the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Who is BWG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

So flogas are the cheapest for electric?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭eddieoregan

im currently with electric Ireland & in credit a fair bit (€500+) thanks mainly to the credit that the government gave us, my contract expires on 10th August, if I was to move to the BWG offer, what will happen to all that credit?

They have to refund you the credit. Its your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

after you have paid your final bill you will have to contact them and if you have bank details with them then it will be sent to your bank or if not they will issue a cheque within 14 days of refund request

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭bleaks

My old analogue day meter was replaced with a smart meter. I am not on a smart plan though my readings are automatically sent to BGE.

Does this mean Flogas will force me onto a smartplan, or could I avail of the nightsaver plan with them (without an old nightsaver meter)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I signed up for the BWG dual fuel offer on 22nd June. I got the confirmation email that my gas account was switched today, and a letter confirming my DD mandate and new electricity account number shortly after applying online.

I've registered on the online portal which can take 10 days to activate.

I've already had final bills for both gas and electricity from EI so now just need to chase up a small credit on my electricity account.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I've been reading the last couple of pages here and I see mention of Flogas. Just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of signing up for electricity. Their plan is fixed which means that if and when prices drop (and everyone expects that to happen) you will stay pay the same unit rate for the duration of your contract.

I don't know if they do day/night rates but it's the 24 hour rate I'm referring to above.

Yep, €50 to drop them like a hot snot and sign up to someone else. If the prices drop at all its simple to do a quick check to see if its worth the breakage fee. coming into the winter months where those of us on heat pumps it would be a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im coming to the end of my contract with Energia and I rang this morning to see what they could do for me and I got a bit of a shock, no pun intended. The plan Im currently on has a unit rate of 44.4 cents per unit and with a 40% discount applied it then drops to 26.6. Going forward they told me they had increased the basic unit rate to 48.4. They have also dropped the 40% discount and replaced it with a 15% discount. So instead of paying 26.6 cents per unit as per my current bill I will be paying 41.17 cents if I renew my contract. Thats an increase of over 50% on the unit cost between current rates and new rates.

I honestly thought that I was going to get the same rate again or perhaps a little cheaper as wholesale prices have fallen by 35%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭user060916

Are there no cashback deals anymore?

Have one more month in contract with Flogas and still haven't made a payment between government credits and cashback.

Advertisement