Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

…..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Meanwhile Tubridy and NK delighted that the baying mob has moved onto Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

The narrative has changed to flip flops and Marty’s car.

it’s pure absurd.

nothing illegal was done as can be deduced from the fact that Marty will present Ryan’s show.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Forbes gave a letter to Tubridy guaranteeing, Mr 'we're all in this together' Tubridy, that he would not suffer a paycut. The same Forbes who told us they had all taken paycuts.

You couldn't script this. She then plays the mental health card to avoid answering for her actions. That is an affront to every decent person who is genuinely battling anxiety.

She and Tubridy are hypocrites of the highest order who deserve every amount bile coming their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’m surprised Renault have any cars left for the public to buy what with all the loan cars they hand out.

I couldn’t get a courtesy car off Opel earlier this year when mine went in for a service. They didn’t have any left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I wonder if the Government is becoming a lot more concerned that this story is still going into into its third week. It was fine when it was just about a departed Dee Forbes and a partially departed Ryan Tubridy and I suspect they were enjoying the spotlight falling on someone else for a change.

However, there is real damage being done to RTE now and I suspect the licence fee and advertising revenue as going to take a big hit this year which will cause the Government no end of problems. And this is before the Committee hearings next week. RTE staff will be paralysed with all of the investigations going on around it for the next six months which is going to make it very hard for the new DG to implement his changes and clearly the floodgates are about to open on cars, etc.

I've heard quite a change in tone from Government ministers about how important RTE is etc and I wouldn't be surprised to see a concerted effort to call a truce once Ryan Tubridy has been in front of the committee next week. The last thing they'll want is a whole load of new issues coming out of that and I'd say they're not happy that the focus is moving onto Marty Morrissey and who got cars, flights, public speaking engagements etc while being paid by RTE.

• I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt until we find out the truth 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I think as more comes out it's becoming clear that Ryan didn't do much wrong. Accepting a pay offer isn't wrong. Not his fault RTE cooked the books. People seem to realise that and the polls reflect it with most people not blaming Ryan.

Don't think the same can be said for Marty. Very dodgy dealing. Potentially illegal fraudulent behaviour. That's where the focus on all this needs to be. Where has there been law breaking and impropriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Pure absurd!!!!

So RTE an go out and buy new motors for everyone in the ‘talent’ ?

Nothing illegal done.

Shows what a poor grasp your post has with what’s going on out there when you seem to imply that as long as it’s not “illegal” it’s carry on as you are.

Very strange indeed…..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

He wasn't hinting at anyone specific - it's a well used political tactic to ask fishing questions like that. It makes him look investigative without having to have anything to back it up. If nothing comes of it, he was only asking questions, what harm? If something does, he gets the credit for getting lucky. In this case, it came back to bit him square in the arse.

It would be like me asking "what other RTE stars is Dooley protecting from wrongdoing?". I don't need for there to be any truth in it for me to look like I'm asking the probing questions that could uncover some treasure. I'd just want to be sure that if there is someone else, they're not connected to me.

• Advertisement

Turbidy and Kelly will follow the Lynch line of it was all Forbes. It was all her idea. We were strung along. No free will of our own

It’s a chance for real change at RTE. NK, RT and the executive can not be part of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Correct. Ryan didn't do anything wrong.

He has, however, been proven to be a lying, greedy hypocrite. Yes?

Never put in a dodgy expenses claim yourself, Brendan? Or took the overnight rate for a hotel and instead headed round to the parochial house for the night?

There is a flip side to that coin.

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

To rebuild something new you must destroy the old. This could be all intentional to justify the rebooting of public broadcasting.

The way they've played it now is brilliant. Should they suggest a reboot in the coming months after we get to the bottom of this the public will be 100% behind the idea. They're winding us up each week with more revelations not to mention the un-likeablity of the board.

Added to which the drip feeding of this scandal - which I believe to be an open secret in RTE and government is a fantastic distraction from real problems.

The housing, cost of living, immigration crisis are all out of the headlines. You could nearly sign a bill for a €23Bn metro and nobody would notice for months.

I haven't seen any claim or evidence that RTE bought anyone any cars. Are you sure that your grasp of what's going on is up to standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I predict civil war in the etiquette thread, all the posters seem to be out but, in an unfortunate turn of events, some of the regulars (no pun intended) are taking opposing sides.

The shıt might literally hit the fan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

I doubt it, she didn't fit the brand ,not even noel Kelly would have her

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why buy cars when you can get them for free.

Of course, by "free", we mean using the totally free barter account to hide transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Ryan lied to the public and deceived his fan base. i think you will find a lot of people blame Tubs and in reality he should never work for RTE again. If he is such a talent he will have no problem getting work with other stations

"the baying mob" is trying to demean the public looking for answer. I think you will find no they haven't moved on but waiting for them to come forward next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

I know you're not quoting me but I've never put in a dodgy expense claim. If I was over 5 hrs away and required subsistence, I'll claim it, if not I won't. Likewise with mileage, the cc of my car and overnight stays.

Are you telling us you've put in false expenses claims and thought nothing of it? That's dishonesty and fraudulent.

Not the Minister for media. So if you want to break one of those laws then I suggest you get legal advice. Best of luck on that, be sure to give us feedback

Lets stick to the facts.

There's no credible claim or evidence that RTE's barter accounts were used to get free cars for anyone.

The poster I responded to claimed that RTE was buying cars for the "talent". Again, there's no credible claim or evidence that this is the case.

Making up unnecessary allegations only serves to confuse and muddy the waters, which only benefits the wrongdoers.

Marty Morrissey's loaner and any "brand ambassador" car are totally separate things to the barter accounts, or to RTE's finances. And it's important to understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What are you on about.

The Media Minister didn't give a clear answer on whether the public should continue to pay the licence fee.

This is the issue.

Not whatever pyscho drama you want to make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Good point. Ryan Tubridy leaving RTE would NOT leave a gap in the organisation. Which begs the question: Why are huge sums of money being thrown at presenters to allegedly retain their services?

The law is in place and has been for years. If you want to break it ring the Gardai to ask for advice. Or as I said a legal professional

Fairly simply and not sure why you keep posting and posting about it. Talk about grand standing

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

Also, she was essentially acting as a PR for RTE, and attacked Imelda Munster who she claimed 'was tryin to start a bar fight'. Even the folks on the panel, with no dog in the fight, were very quick to defend Imelda. C

Obviously Stephanie preissner and the other z listers want to curry favour with RTE she sees her slots on the new LLS and other slots disappearing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He could be the first guest on the LLS. How much are guests paid anyone know?? Then he could get work on reality tv. I don’t think he will be short a few bob anyway. He can be in that toy show musical when it starts back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

All the focus around the lack of governance, dodgy accounting and the culture of wasting taxpayer money for decades in RTE should be on Marty?

Thanks Pintman for your contribution.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement