Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Had nbi vans on my road looking at poles today. Still says survey pending on the website but hopefully this is a sign on things moving along.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What area?

I'm in the Newport Tipperary DA , the surveying crews have been around for maybe the last 2 weeks or so.

The DA map says survey pending but the eircode checker says survey underway with connection 2025/26

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

West cork. Eircode Map still says survey pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Take a look at the interactive rollout map and see which section of the map your in.

I'm in Clonakilty which was surveyed last year. Templemartin (around Bandon) is in build phase. I'm hoping Clonakilty is next to go into build in West Cork. Even though Clon area is surveyed my house is still sitting as:

Anticipated date for connection:January 2025 - December 2026

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

parts of Bandon are now due for connection Oct-Dec this year, was Jan-March next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

halleluia or however ya spell it.

Available for pre order today !

now.....who should go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

I was Jan to June next year, (outside Bandon) they are connecting now (came to connect my neighbor last week, but had a issue with a duct so will return to complete the job)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

There was a recent update the Bitstream and VUA Process Manual on the NBI website. Interestingly it removed references to wireless connections

, which suggests the original plan of connecting difficult-to-reach last-mile premises with Wireless may be no more? @NBAiii any info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

They surveyed the town of Newport 2 or 3 months ago, and we saw them connect up the poll outside our house (also town) last week.

Edit: I realise I'm unsure if I'm talking about Eir FTTH upgrade or NBI. Probably not NBI. So sorry if I'm contributing misinformation.

Post edited by ULMarc on

Town connection was most likely open-eir.

Surveying crews have been around the Newport/Murroe/Cappamore areas for the past few weeks. They say it will be 2025/26 before connections start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As would be obvious the network build rollout appears to be way ahead of property connections.

Mines gone to Network build in progress and I have seen teams all over the national roads recently. Not quite locally yet. But our order date is still end Dec 25 into Dec 26.

Yet to receive any status updates from NBI anytime my status changes. I get other emails but status changes are all me manually checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭fman

I've found the emails are very hit and miss. I went to pre order (from the site) but didn't get an email update for about a month, then got 2 more with the same info. Have gone ready to connect and still no email.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...which suggests the original plan of connecting difficult-to-reach last-mile premises with Wireless may be no more?

I've always maintained it never made any sense to do any of it wirelessly. It's a 25-year contract, and they need to provide the same set of products to every premises in the IA. It would already be a challenge to provide 2Gb/s wirelessly to the most remote premises, never mind making a rod for their backs by having to upgrade on demand any existing wireless premises when the baseline speeds inevitably increase.

If you're working off a five-year business plan, wireless can make sense. Over the lifetime of this contract, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Premises already surveyed is currently at 419,998 (74%). Maybe NBI now have reason to be confident they won't need wireless.

...and new-build could be required to be 'fibre-ready'. Provided DHLGH define the connection point rather than the ETU.

Then there seems to be an unofficial divvy-up to achieve total FTTP coverage in the blue areas, according to the Minister (2023-03-23)

Commercial operators have recently indicated their plans to supply Gigabit services to all premises in the BLUE area of the NBP Map as part of their commercial network rollouts

...and the European Commission will only count FTTP and DOCSIS 3.1 in its DESI 'gigabit connectivity' ranking.

Gigabit connectivity, measured as the percentage of households covered by fixed Very High-Capacity Networks (VHCN). The technologies considered are those currently able to deliver gigabit connectivity, namely Fibre to the Premises and Cable DOCSIS 3.1. The evolution of the Fibre to the Premises coverage will also be monitored separately and taken into consideration when interpreting VHCN coverage data.

So it looks like there's a general push for 100% FTTP (or cable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I've now had NBI ftth for almost 12 months. Shortly I'll be switching provider. I'm attracted to Pure Telecom's 1Gb product for €40.00 pm.

Pure has told me that I can have 1Gb NBI from them at €45.00 pm or 1Gb Openeir from them at €40.00 pm. When I told the Pure salesperson that NBI was the only fibre I have to the house she said "The lines were upgraded and now I have a choice of the two products". She couldn't/wouldn't explain further.

Can anyone explain please? Is Openeir now using NBI's infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Is there a connection charge for the openeir service?

No connection charge and they're now telling me that Openeir don't use the NBI infrastructure and I would have to have a new fibre connection to my home,

I ain't getting a second fibre connection into my home, particularly from any crowd with Eir in their name!!

Open-eir like NBI are wholesale providers with their own fibre networks. So you're in an NBP intervention area that is also covered by a commercial provider. I wonder which network rolled out first?

NBI was here first, one year ago. Openeir / Eir refused to come down our lane as it wasn't commercially viable. I have seen absolutely no activity from Opereir here, hence my original question.

• Advertisement

How far away is the nearest open-eir distribution point? I believe they can run fibre up to 500m from this to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hmmmm thats interesting. I'm within 500m from the nearest open-eir pole. If I go to Eir website the stupid feckers can't even find my Eircode ROLLEYES!

But I didn't expect they can supply me anyway. However I then got a dialog box telling me to put in my phone number and low and behold they say they can supply me with up to 100Mb fiber broadband?????????????????????

So I went to the open-eir site and they can find my Eircode but can't supply me with Broadband.

Who do you believe? I've a wifi link to a neighbour so will stick with that. I used to deal with Eir for business customers and the painful memories make me want to steer well clear.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks for that info. I'll stick with NBI. I really don't need, or want, a second fibre connection to my home.

I guess they can provide you with broadband over copper, "up to" 100 Mbps, their so called efibre but you're not in open-eir's FTTH rollout area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Moh72

Just got an email to say our area is in the build process still saying Jan 25 to Dec 26 before connection does anyone know if it will really take that long.

No one knows, that's your target. If it comes earlier be happy. I'm in the same bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

It's funny that I can see my aunt's house from our place, about 3 to 4km away with 3 houses in between and yet her connection is estimated to be a year earlier than mine, in the fact the next house along the road from us has the same estimated connection timeframe as my aunt.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

She could be on a different network hub. They have to overlap somewhere. The one I thought we should be on is already connected and installing. The one we are on is a whole bunch of KMs a different direction. Makes no sense to me topology speaking but I'm not a network designer. Stares off into the distance bemused... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Received an email saying Survey is now underway in my area. Looking at the website, it still shows survey pending. Does anyone know of the delay on seeing the website update to survey underway?

FWIW timeline for connection is still 25/26.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭OSI

Really frustrating how little info the people in NBI seem to have on their own network. We built a house on site that has a pole with a fibre drop point less than 20m from the house, all the houses on the road show as "Ready to Connect" with a button to order broadband and yet no one from NBI can tell if or when we can get connected. I've been told numerous times that it was with the design team and should be "about a month" only for them to now say "actually it could be anywhere from 3 to 6 months". So annoying!

Advertisement