Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Can Tommy Dooley line out for Clare this weekend in the backs ? I’m listening to him from morning Ireland defending Marty Morrissey.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

PR and optics. For the Marty situation. If he says 'sorry lads I shouldn't have kept the car' - and then gives it back it will blow over. But no doubt he will be getting a few things shouted at him from fans such as 'Marty do ya want a lift?' etc for a small while

Anyone in RTE who has not the t's crossed and i's dotted for even the most minor thing will now suffer reputational damage in the current climate unless they go into apology mode - fast. Marty giving back the car prevents him from getting constant abuse and questions.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

Posts like not paying your TV licence is illegal but RT did nothing wrong really sum the attitude up.

It shows that these individuals are very comfy financially, and that the amounts mentioned are small potatoes to them.

It shows moral bankruptcy.

There's a fella I worked with from a very well to do FG background. He's going bannanas about the Tubridy witch hunt on twitter. He just doesn't get it how the 'small' people are so upset about where their 170 euros go. It's a different world to the one he inhabits, the circles he moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

If you have any evidence to the contrary I am happy to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Are you saying that you've never had posts removed due to abusing other posters?

• Advertisement

Yes, I’ve never abused another poster. If you have evidence to the contrary present it or withdraw your remarks please.

You can't 'go for' an organisation until wrong doing emerges, like with RT. That's akin to internment without trial. By all means do if a case is found with evidence. A lot know what's going on on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

In November 2019, he said publicly he'd take a pay cut.

In July 2020, Forbes wrote him a letter undertaking that "the fees set out in the contract will be paid by RTÉ without any reductions and RTÉ shall not make any request or enquiry from you in relation to a reduction in the agreed fees" 

Where was the stated pay cut and how much of a cut was it when the Renault money (that wasn't even paid for by Renault) is included?

That's the biggest question

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So someone blow a whistle, no?

ignore that.. it’s silly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Oh. Here we go. This could move the non payment of tv licence needle.

Edit: actually, at the end of the piece the Judge still says he'll be convicting people where necessary.

Strongly worded stuff from the Judge, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Maybe some people's moral compass got run over by a brand ambassador picking up their latest Toyota/Renolt/BMW/Hummer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Oh I’m sure his excuse will be he doesn’t look after the day to day, that’s the job of his accountant and agent

it was an oversight, will rectify and if it happens again he will be aware, blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The letter from Dee Forbes addressed to him guaranteeing no pay cut will be hard to explain away.

Playing the idiot isn't a good look for his reputation either.

If he is that clueless he has no business presenting a TV \ radio public affairs programme.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What a crock, comparing the use of a car for five years to a bag of spuds.

Lookit, Seanie, why did a certain RTE staffer get the use of a car for five years.

Why did I never get an offer of the use of a car for five years ?

Because I have nothing to give back, that’s why.

If you can’t see the toxic correlation between a supposedly neutral public service breoadcaster and private commercial concerns, then you’re a bigger fool than I thought you were.

Go back and think again, Seanie.

He’s referring to them as “small” people is he? On Twitter? A likely story.

I don't get you? Some people have difficulty blowing whistles, especially with their local club and community where they could be an outcast and their kids. And they might not be 100% sure of having enough evidence.

A “loan” of a car for 5 years

The car was payment for event he done “free”

Car was put in place “Adhoc” but stayed for 5 years

the quick return of the car once they started to look into presenters with cars after first PAC

Hasnt Marty come out and said he is going to revenue to confirm the status

I could go on but I think you get the point at this stage.

The proper thing to do to stop hypocritical moralists not paying for something while complaining all year about it is to have the licence fee gathered via your electricity bill. I’d also properly fund it - thinking at least 250 euro. I’d also link the RTE Player to the licence.

Oh wait till you hear the bulls**t….it will be throwing everyone under the bus to try save his own skin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So he is referring to “small” people? Did he call them “small people?”

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Up above, you claimed that RTE were using their barter account to hide providing free cars to people. This is patent nonsense - the barter accounts have been examined, and no such activity exists. The barter account was indeed used to top up Tubridy's salary when Renault pulled out of a deal with him, and for other identified questionable expenditure. These are facts, and need to be accounted for. You're saying "they used the barter account for to pay Tubridy - there's no reason to believe they weren't using it for free cars for everyone too", even though we know what the barter accounts were actually used for. Can you not see how this makes no sense? It actually undermines the requirement for accountability for what did happen.

You've decided that you can't believe anything, therefore anything could be true. This is intellectual nihilism. You're entitled to engage in it, sure, but you risk losing all credibility by doing so.

Sticking to the facts isn't too much to ask.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

I would imagine that for brand ambassadors, the car would be BIKable, but as that would not be an incentive for anyone to be a brand ambassador, then I would see the car company having to pickup the tab for the BIK, and that’s fine, so long as it’s all done properly and declared properly…..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I might save that tweet for when my FG MEP candidate calls next year, if that's the calibre that they put forward for election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭creedp

Thats the point I'm making and in doing both parties are defrauding Revenue of funds to run the State. No real difference to what good auld Marty was doing except for the important difference that he has been caught by the shorts, thanks to RT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

A Dublin judge presiding over the capital's TV Licence prosecutions has slammed RTÉ for what he described as elitism, "Godlike personalities", and "freeloaders" while defendants were "crippled with the cost of living".

Dublin District Court has a special weekly sitting for cases brought by An Post against TV owners who have not paid their €160 annual television licence fees.

Friday's list featured 159 prosecutions, but before hearing the cases, Judge Anthony Halpin delivered a strongly-worded pre-amble about the ongoing controversy at the national broadcaster. He said he was "disgusted and appalled" by the revelations.

"It is a criminal offence, and on conviction it carries a fine and a record of having committed a crime. The people before this court are accused of failing to pay the TV licence fee, and these people may feel a little hard done by when they see the way RTÉ has abused statutory funding which is annually provided to RTÉ."

Accordingly, he said, it would be remiss of him not to make reference to the recent revelations and exposures about those who are the recipients of the licence fee.

"The revelations have rocked the very foundations of the national public broadcaster and have sent, not ripples, but seismic shock waves throughout the organisation."

Quoting Marcellus from Shakespeare's Hamlet, he said: "There is something rotten in the State of Denmark". Judge Halpin said that the epithet could appropriately apply to the "shenanigans and mischievous activities that have gone on in RTÉ over the past number of years of which we knew nothing".

I am appalled and disgusted that such clandestine, secretive and dubious goings-on would be the order of the day in respect of arrangements between RTÉ and the Godlike personalities who seem to be above scrutiny.

Judge Halpin said he had watched some of the proceedings of the Dáil Committees on TV and praised the Chairs and the respective members for their "sterling work". He added that it was proof that the investigative arm of the parliamentary system functions effectively and efficiently.

"They have a difficult and gruelling task in getting to the truth. George Orwell, in both Animal Farm and 1984, was preoccupied with the way language can be manipulated as an instrument of control. The shifting positions of persons giving evidence before the committees is testament to this."

"In Animal Farm, Squealer, the pig who was Comrade Napoleon's propaganda machine, abuses language by whatever means necessary in twisting and distorting rhetoric so as to justify behaviour. To get the right answer, one must ask the right question, or the facts will remain concealed unless otherwise uncovered by diligent and assiduous examination.

"Our Dáil Committees have triumphantly succeeded in this regard, but there is more work to do."

The judge referred to what he described as "elitism and exclusivity shown and demonstrated by the RTÉ "ruling class".

He said it was "an anathema to the fundamental principles which underpin the freedom of the press and the trust engendered thereby of an independent, professional, honest and responsible National Broadcasting Service which is the backbone to any democracy".

He continued his criticism saying recent revelations have wounded the bulwark of RTÉ's professional standing as a broadcaster once held in the highest of esteem.

Shame

"Shame on those who have brought that about. I will go no further than those remarks, but I must say those freeloaders in RTÉ who received a loan of cars, who received branded cars free gratis, spouses of RTÉ who were wined and dined and partook of events at the expense of RTÉ, and others who were lavished with such generosity, ought to pay back to the organisation the euro equivalent of the benefit they received, to help this financially strapped semi-State body. 

"Also, those personalities and senior executives who received unconscionable sums of money should reflect on their position and do the right thing."

He said it saddened him that those before the court "who are crippled with the cost of living, have to swallow this unpalatable pill of the licence fee when they see that such a source of income is squandered and abused".

Prosecution

"But the law is the law, and the law provides that you must have a licence if you have a TV," he said, adding, "I will afford more time to those who need it, and An Post may enter into an arrangement with you to pay by debit mandate or collect stamps so as to help with the expense of the license fee."

Concluding his remarks, he said: "Those who intend to do this, I will leave without a conviction, and those who do not turn up, I have no choice but to convict, but I will keep the fine to a minimum." He then proceeded to deal with the day's cases.

In typical sittings of the TV licence prosecutions, where he had to convict no-show defendants, Judge Halpin has limited all the fines to €150 plus an order for €100 toward prosecution costs and gave them three months to pay. The law states an offender can be fined up to €1,000 or €2,000 for subsequent offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I presume everyone that has been named and will be named in the next few weeks is getting an audit from Revenue

it would be nice to see a few of them published on the defaulters list but that won’t happen unfortunately

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement