Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I could be wrong, but I don't think someone else can actually pick up the tab for BIK. The whole point is that the person who personally benefits from the item needs to account for it tax wise. If someone else paid the BIK on it, that in itself would be subject to BIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

In fairness Marty did give the car back so he should be forgiven and the whole sorry mess should be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If Tubridy's contract were to be cancelled, I think Tubridy would be able to sue RTÉ, as the issue is jointly of their making, the secret deceitful top-up payments. So to actually cut him off now, how much would it cost RTÉ? I believe I heard that his contract runs to 2025, so they'd presumably have to pay him 10 grand a week for the next year and a half while not allowing him to work for RTÉ, or pay him off now perhaps up to the roughly 750k he stands to receive in his contract.

I don't want to see or hear from him again on RTÉ, but it would be a bitter pill to swallow to have to pay him off that amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

You understand perfectly the attitude and the lack of awareness I'm describing that some have of those less well off.

I spent a minute reading your posts after what you've been accused of. You have some very bitter anti middle aged men posts. They don't do you any favours. And they're certainly not kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

His contract was for TV and Radio, so as he's given up The Late Late Show, his contract is currently null and void. It was in the process of being renegotiated just for radio. So I don't think Tubridy has any comeback against RTE. He's out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

He gave the car back because he was caught. If this didn't happen he would continue to drive it as he has done for the last 5 years. So no he shouldn't.

It will be all hidden now. Even if Marty has or hasn't been fiddling the books it will be covered up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I had heard another figure in the recent news about 200k, was that what they were offering him to do just the one-hour radio slot every morning?

If it were already agreed, could be on the hook for 300k or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't wish to get into an argument with you but I don't see how someone working for RTE could get paid €10k per hour.

Even Tubs (the top earner) earning €500k a year equates to about €10k per week between his LLS work and his radio show. BIK and expenses aren't going to add too much more on to the wage. Kielty's expense allowances were supposed to be about €50k so if Tubs was getting the same, it would push it close to €11k per week. You reckon Tubs only works one hour per week for those shows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You still acting the boll1x in the thread? Fair play, you are certainly committed.

It all depends on what was in his old contract. There could well be an agreement in for what happens in terms of his pay or conditions when the contract ends if the doesn't get a new one - similar to a golden parachute clause. This would not be uncommon in executive corporate contracts, and it appears that Tubridy was able to wrangle pretty much anything he wanted out of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If the goal is saving his career then he cannot be honest. Consider the sort of questions he is going to be asked:

Did you refuse to take a paycut? Why did you refuse to take a paycut? Why did you refuse to take a paycut and then go on TV saying that you had taken a paycut? Why did you not correct the public record that you had taken a paycut? Did you instruct your agent to raise false invoices on your behalf? Why did your agent raise false invoices on your behalf?

Answering those sorts of questions honestly is likely to leave him looking grubby and money hungry, and admitting to things now also means you are admitting to dishonesty in the past. It just doesn't work in his position, you can't moralise to the masses when you have been caught out like that.

So career wise his only option is to duck and dive, tread the fine line of appearing to be helpful while still trying to avoid the worst of the dirt. Its a very fine line to walk and once you are walking it you are committed to it.

Maybe he will go in and be honest, maybe he will actually volunteer information without being forced and prove that he is actually contrite. All things are possible, but I know what Noel Kelly will be advising him to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Haha no offence but if those are the worst examples of my “abuse” towards other posters then it proves my own point, not yours.

I will cheerfully consider your accusations withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Abuse is abuse. Bekind. Slagging someone off for being in a bedsit is abuse and not kind. Not cool.

Have you withdrawn your ridiculous accusation to another poster wondering why they didn't ask if Marty had a body in the boot of the car?

You seem ignorant of the basic facts.

Marty himself has said he needs to check out if his tax affairs are in order.

So will you now withdraw your accusation? It would be the kind thing to do.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This is exactly the point - Id love to know how many "brand ambassadors" are declaring it either as an income or BIK.

Also I dont think the manufacturer / dealer can pick up the tab for BIK.

BIK is for an individual to pay and declare as required taking into account mileage allowances etc to off set some BIK. I just dont see how it would be possible for the car company / dealer to pay it without there being some tax liability on the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Pray tell how it works then as here is what revenue states: You will need to calculate the ‘cash equivalent’ of your employee’s private use of the employer-provided vehicle. This is the amount that you will add to your employee's pay.

so basically the benefit of the car is valued and taxed and prsi’d, so what I imagine is that in order for a brand ambassador to be interested in doing that role I would imagine the car provider would pickup that tax bill.

but do tell, fascinated to know how this should be handled

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

I hope that RTÉ funding model does not change and everyone that is liable continues to pay their licence.

I have opted out of owning a TV or any signal receiving apperatus and am not currently liable for TV licence. The last thing I hope happens after this is that I get roped into paying for this crap via some form of general taxation.

Ideally RTÉ would be totally scrapped or become 100% pay per view like netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No.

I never said I have never abused Tubridy. I have. I do think he’s what I called him, and much worse tbh after the revelations over the last two weeks.

I said I don’t abuse other posters, even those who abuse me habitually and have called me the most offensive and personal things. Do I need to list all of the abuse I’ve been given - even in this thread?

And one thing I certainly don’t do is create a new account to abuse people, unlike certain posters - incl. some regulars on this thread….you know who you are.

You call me a liar and defend Tubridy, and see no irony in that? 🙄

Finally, re. the expression “Dainty Little Bugger”. I didn’t coin it (if only), Rhys Ifans (a Welsh actor) coined the term for Mr. Tubridy after an excruciatingly embarrassing interview. It’s on YouTube if you’d like to see it for yourself.

You have had posts in this very thread about me removed for personal abuse, yet still you claim you have never abused anyone. #Bonkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Your main problem is that you think I can be caught out, on an internet message board, as if this is some game of any importance. In reality I had to go back and find out who you even where and why you were quoting me.

I have never once done anything except offer my opinion on this matter, so your blather about me claiming things regarding the barter account is a bit ridiculous really. It is also a misrepresentation of what actually happened.

Lose all credibility? Oh no, that would be terrible.

Have the last word if you please, it seems important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Could you imagine if somebody like Peter Casey was over paid by €345,000 and Ryan got to interview him on The Late Late Show.

Could you just imagine the act Ryan would have put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I hear ye, but really, considering there’s already a lot of people with pitchforks out for Tubridy, (apparently on Twitter?) fudging the answers will just increase the mob mentality and other people will jump on board for the hell of it.

As I say I don’t like Tubridy and I’ve questioned why he’s been paid so much for doing such a bad job for years now, that I’m just bored even mentioning it at this stage- but if he wants any sort of media career on radio or tv he’s going to have to at least look like he gives half s damn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭creedp

Are you suggesting that the Minister has given tacit support to break the laws she is responsible for implementing and ensuring they are enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Good point- I can just hear his faux outrage voice right now - aaaaaagggghhhh- make it go away freshpopcorn, make it go away!!!😛

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Even if RTE were scrapped or made 100% subscription funded (neither of which are at all likely), there would still be some kind of licence or tax to fund the BAI's Broadcasting fund (that supports programmes about Irish culture, heritage and adult literacy on any channel, not just RTE) and TG4 (currently funded indirectly via RTE themselves). And as I've posted before, I think it's likely that this will hasten the universal Household Media Charge that the government has already committed to. We're not going to escape it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

BIK is payable by the beneficiary. If someone else pays for it, the beneficiary will have to pay BIK on that. There’s no escape

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah but such conditions are usually for completing the contract term, like how he was supposed to get $120k for completing the 2015-2020 contract. With this contract, it was for radio & TV, but because he quit TLLS, he's now out of contract because they had to renegotiate it for a radio-only contract.

They said in the most recent hearing that he's not currently under contract, and hasn't been paid in the past month. It's likely they'll have to pay him something for the few weeks he did the radio show while not under contract, but I don't think he has any recourse against them for anything else. His contract ended early through mutual agreement because he gave up TLLS, and a new contract for radio only wasn't finalised. So he's not under any contract currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The Phoenix is playing a blinder here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement