Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2023 Transfer Window - [Excluding Transfers to Saudi Arabia 25.07.23]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Romano had some strange posts a few weeks back promoting him seemingly out of nowhere. I was convinced he had something to gain from it because I had never heard a thing about him. Can’t be too bad to say Barca wanted him & Real have got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pretty sure TIFO had something on him before Romano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Shea Charles from Man city to Southampton for 10.5m plus add ons.

Thats Kovacic paid for after the sales of Charles and Trafford.

Great business.

United struggle to sell proven internationals like Fred, Mctominay, Maguire etc for any half decent fee but city sell players who most of us have never heard of at extortionate prices.

Some business model they have going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

United's problem is the stupid wages they have been paying over the last few seasons, lads like the three mentioned above earning money that no other club would pay them which makes them near impossible to shift.

City are just following the Chelsea model of hoovering up loads of young talent and flipping them for a profit.

Yea this is exactly it only city selling instead of loaning like Chelsea, gotta pump the books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City are just clever. you can't even get mad.

they've obviously been able to hugely bolster their academy, while also improving their stadium, while also keeping their first team squad the best in the world, but how they're using their academy is genuinely smart.

Chelsea will loan, which doesn't help for FFP.

United will have players on stupid wages that they can't move on.

City assess quickly if they think a player will break through or not. They have that many youth prospects now that they can pick the absolute best ones, but the ones that are very good (but not quite City level yet) will be turfed out, but they'll put generous buy-back clauses in them. that way, they're off the books, but they still have a handy option of getting them back if they turn out brilliant. And because they're brilliant at selling. James Trafford was brilliant for Bolton, and City haven't hesitated - they've been absolutely ruthless. They know he ain't getting ahead of Ederson or Ortega soon, but know that they can get a premium. And they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A better argument would be United hold on to youth prospects beyond the point of them being very good prospects any more. They hold onto too many, for too long on endless loan cycles

Would Iqbal not come in to the category of letting player go at a young age and we didn’t even get a million for him?

I’m not criticising city, fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

United could have gotten a big fee for Dean Henderson years ago, but they dallied around and pretty much never made a decision on him. Its the same reason Arsenal should ship Balogun on this summer, his stock is high and they don't have a spot for him. Wait and see just isn't a great strategy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Maybe United don't treat their academy as a business. They genuinely want players to develop and play for the club and give them every chance to do so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The word is that Forrest want him permanently. If the Onana deal goes through I'd expect Henderson to join Forest. £20-25m seems to be the fee being mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Henderson should have been number 1 the last couple of seasons. Instead now they'll never know if he was good enough to make the step and also nearly wound up with extending the inadequate incumbent that he was due to replace. Terrible management of that whole situation.

His performances in December and January should be enough to still command a good fee as I think Cooper is very high on him and he was looking very good before the injury.

This is also a good point. FFP has made it very lucrative to be in the selling of academy players business but United have never really rolled like that. Though I think some fans would be happy to just sell out as recent few months have shown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Do I have it correctly that when clubs sell academy players, they can book the full fee for FFP purposes, as it is a complete sale. But when they sell a player that was previously purchased, they can only book the financial valuation - so the value on the remaining contract?

I remember reading before that for example Chelsea can book the full Mount fee - €60m as that is pure profit, but when selling Mendy or Koulibaly, it would not be the €18m or €23m fees, but instead the proportion associated with the depreciated value on the contract after the purchase price was factored in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think it would be what is left of the value based on amortization. For example if Chelsea signed someone on a 5 year contract at 50 million (amortized at 10 million per financial year) and sold them after 3 years for 35 million, they would still "owe" the original club 30 million so that would be subtracted from the fee for FFP purposes, adding 5 million net to FFP books, as opposed to 35 million.

Open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

I don't know if your info is good or bad but I think your math is off.

If sold after 3 years of a 5 year deal for 50m then only 20m left?

Post edited by davemckenna25 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Chelsea are surely the kings of that. I think they just released Bakayoko last week. They also had the likes of Kenedy, Blackman, van Ginkel, Rahman, and Piazon for a comical number of years farming them all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ultimately there aren’t too many other options, when you players way more than they can get elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

All played just enough to be thought of the next big thing. I remember the buzz around Piazon. All journeymen players but still making a decent living. They do that well Chelsea.

One of the many actions of Chelsea that resulted in a rule change in the last 10/20 years.

For all the anger towards Man City with their financial doping, Chelsea are just as culpable.

Chelsea played within the rules to a point. The rules were the problem. There was nothing stopping every club farming players and having them on endless loan cycles. Now, their relationship with some clubs maybe problematic specifically the dutch one.

There is some suggestion of impropriety though as they reportedly wanted Kante to be paid to an offshore account and he was like, grand, i've enough money.

City are doing some within rules and some out. UEFA and fifa need to clamp down on owners being able to own loads of clubs. Same for red bull . Being able to move players thoughout them and transferring wealth is just a way around ffp

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

I think there are differences in what Chelsea and City do. City blatantly cheat while Chelsea find ways around rules as opposed to breaking them. I won't go into details as we've gone round circles on here before about this.

Yeah, fair. Chelsea didn't break the rules as such they just exploited them before they were changed after being exploited. In a nutshell.

Possibly one rule being broken was the FFP one where they had a £1 billion debt to the owner written off as part of the sale last year. Other clubs don't have the luxury and received fines or restrictions for not complying with FFP. Chelsea had that £1 billion written off so overspent without repercussions.

In terms of exploiting rules, Chelsea have many examples.

In the PL, clubs are not allowed to sign underage players, unless they live within a 90 mins commute from the training ground. This is to to prevent kids travelling hours in every direction and disrupting their education etc, but also to protect smaller clubs who might have a star prospect. Obviously London clubs have an advantage here because of the large catchment area but what Chelsea did was set up loads of feeder academies around the the country where they then picked the best players to move to London at an older age once they were allowed to at the age threshold. For example how did Mason Mount (Portsmouth) end up at the Chelsea academy?

PL clubs are not allowed to give financial incentives to families to make their children sign for their clubs. Chelsea also exploited this rule by giving Stan Christensen (who had never previously worked as a football scout) a job in London as a scout, which meant that the family had to move there from Denmark. Coincidentally on the very same day that they moved country, his son Andreas signed for Chelsea. It's been alleged that Stan never performed any scouting job for Chelsea, but still received a salary.

An awful lot of those youth players ended up being part of the Chelsea "loan army" and some never played a game for Chelsea but were then sold on for big profits (in FFP terms) and were able to bankroll transfers for the first team. While this was within the rules at the time, they have now been changed because of the actions of Chelsea. They used to regularly have 10/15/20 players out on loan at any given time. The rule is now that a club can only loan out 7 players with this reducing to 6 next summer.

A lot of these loan players ended up at Vitesse Arnhem, who are now under investigation by Dutch authorities for the multi club singular ownerships issue. They were in European competition at the same time as Chelsea, and even though they said they were not owned by Abramovich, there is evidence to suggest that they actually were. There is a rule now about this being forbidden.

The most recent example being Chelsea handing out 7 or 8 year contracts on massive transfer fee signings so that they could exploit the Brexit / EU law on transfer fees being spread out over a certain number of years. While Chelsea didn't break any rule here, they were clearly exploiting a loophole which resulted in a rule change. There was other singular examples but none on the level that Chelsea were at. They

And then of course there was the transfer ban that Chelsea received for the way they used underage players. One example was how they convinced Bertrand Traore to leave a French club to play for them. They never registered the player but he played for them regularly. They only registered his signing years later when he would become 'legal'. Another reason was as players parents moving to a London for non-footballing reasons, just so their children could play for Chelsea.

Of course when they had the transfer ban, they also exploited this. It was not a transfer ban, it was more of a registration ban. So what they did was loaned Kovacic in the summer previous to the date they knew they the ban would be starting on so that they held his registration and would not need to register him. They also did this with Pulisic. They bought £100m worth of players in the summer of a transfer ban. Exploited the loophole again.

That's as close to cheating as you can get in many examples, with blatant cheating in other examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

You have alot of good detailed examples there. They definitely push the boundaries and flirt with cheating but not quite full on cheating like it feels with city if all the charges against them are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I'm no fan of Chelsea but finding loopholes isn't breaking the rules. Is it unsavoury? Sure but it's not illegal no matter if the loopholes where closed afterwards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bayern make a second bid for Kane but I doubt it's going to make Levy budge much tbh

They'll need to pay 100 minimally to bring Levy to the negotiating table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't know, it's game of poker. They know Spurs want as much as possible, but they also know that next year Spurs will get nothing. And Spurs know that too of course and they know Bayern know etc.

I said it before I won't get my hopes up until its actually done but Bayern seem to be serious about this and they're no jokers for sure.

As for the claims that Kane wants it I dont know either. Your man Plettenberg seems a bit overly enthusiastic to be fully believable. I dont think Kane has actually spoken about anything which he wouldn't being the solid pro and gent he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Dont think Bayern or anyone will be paying that. He's Harry Kane yes but he's got one year left is all.

What do people think here? Are Spurs playing poker or are they really willing to let his contract run out and get nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Kane has bad representation, he'll sign a new contract in September

Bayern were happy enough to have Lewandoski in his 30s, I don't think Kane's age will scare them. Especially when he has never really relied on pace.

He would thrive in a league with even more space that he is used to getting / making.

Personally, I think he's better off just getting the PL record with Spurs but it's his choice. If he wants to go, he can force it and make Levy sell now rather than 0 next summer which can be agreed January 1st.

It's his brother that does his deals for him. The last contract screwed him of 'an out of Spurs', while getting him more money.

Could they not offer him a bumper contract with more wages. He's the spurs/England golden child. Cant see him leaving for free next summer, can levy put something on the table for him.

All depends on him ofc but just don't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

If I was Kane, I’d stay out for the year, get the record, then get a bumper payday (signing on fee in lieu of transfer fee).

I mean, I know it would mean having to spend another year at Spurs, but there’s no such thing as a painless plan 😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He's not even nearly good enough. His performances at Forest have illustrated that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would love to see him at munich, think he'd be a great fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To make it worse, in the long run it didn't even make him more money. He's on 200k. So for the first two of the six years he was quite well paid comparatively speaking, but by the time the middle two years came around the standard wages of a high level striker had already risen to exceed that, and for the last two years of the deal he's just been straight out underpaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Gossip columns saying madrid considering selling Tchauomeni and Valverde to fund the mbappe deal this summer.

That would be a bad move from then, selling top young talent to satisfy their craving, and severely weaken their midfield.

Just wait one more season and have all 3. No brainer.

Yeah he was so bad they're going to make him one of the top 7 most expensive goalkeepers of all time.

He was great for them before getting injured, their defence fell off a cliff when he did.

Navas conceded only 1 more goal in 1 fewer games, with a fractionally higher sota per game. Like we're talking 1 more shot per every 4 games.

Their defence was pretty much the same throughout and didn't fall apart without Henderson.

Henderson has had some howlers for United, Sheffield and Forrest too. He's a bit too quick to cry foul when things don't suit him. Hesa solid keeper, but that's about it. He was no improvement on de gea imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

A quick google suggests he is 47 goals shy of Shearers record of premier league goals. So that's atleast two very good seasons he needs to break it so your suggestion its a non runner for him unfortunately. It's either move on this summer or sign a new contract at spurs.

Of course it's all down to him what he wants, he can either go down the route of being the top scorer in the Premier league and won nothing in his career or move elsewhere and actually win stuff, and Bayern is a fabulous opportunity for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

47 for the premier league record. Shearer has another 23 top flight goals on top of that

And being among the most expensive is meaningless. I'll point to pogba and Maguire. For goalkeepers, Pickford is among the most expensive and you certainly wouldn't want him

Plus Forrest haven't exactly had a sensible approach to transfers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think Bayern would be a great move for Kane. One of the top clubs in Europe, in need of a striker and will be expected to challenge on all fronts.

Will guarantee him some local trophies at the very least, and will have a few chances at the CL. The only team in England where you could say the same would be City and obviously that ship has sailed.

Only he can confirm how much the goalscoring record means to him but it’s fairly arbitrary, football has existed before 1992 and could be broken in future. I certainly don’t agree that it’s more meaningful than a Bundesliga trophy.

It’s probably moot anyway, I think Levy is stubborn enough to not sell at any price, and would prefer a year of pressuring Kane into signing a new contract, but I’d be shocked if he did. So next year, when he has his pick of clubs, it’ll be interesting to see where he goes.

Post edited by McFly85 on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If Kane won't extend his contract, I think Levy will sell him, but only for the right price.

Anything under £80 million from Bayern wasn't ever even going to be considered, and they know it. They're doing what Bayern always do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Holding onto a frustrated Kane with one eye on his freedom would be an insane move. This must be seriously counter productive at this stage? Players and agents will surely deprioritise Spurs if they know they won't be able to leave should giant clubs come in for them, even when the club is outside the CL and lacking a squad capable of attaining CL. Let him move on with his career. 70m, do the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He can go to Bayern for 3 years, compete for the CL a couple of times and then return to the Premier League and break the record in his late thirties. The record is not a real reason for him to stay any longer. This Spurs era is over, and everyone knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Spurs do end up accepting a bid from Bayern, I do wonder if United will then make an offer topping it. Spurs won't sell to United for the same price they would to Bayern, and probably wouldn't sell at all; but I have to think United need to at least attempt to sign him if it becomes clear Spurs are willing to sell him (by accepting an offer).

Would be bizarre, imo, for Kane to leave this summer and for United to not attempt to buy him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement