Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I agree with Mojo.

Cork-Dublin is about 250kms depending on exactly where your start/end point is. The Model Y will do that run at 120km/h with 20-30% to spare.

If you dont have destination charging and need to return on the same day you can stop for 10-15mins at the Manor Stone superchargers, in each direction, and it will give you a stress free experience.

If you have destination charging you can avoid all charging stops with ease.

To more specifically answer your question though.... 405km is not what the car will do at 120km/h. 300-350km would be closer to the mark depending on conditions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I find the ranges on ev-database to be pretty accurate here's the stats for a RWD Model Y

Presume you'll be using the motorway for the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Been driving M.Y for a few days now, 3 decent trips with mixed motorway and town and national road driving. Database looks spot on.

I find people over think the range anxiety thing. I imagine a significant number of AA roadside call outs for ICE cars relate to running out of fuel. People who drive around with 10% or the equivalent of the yellow petrol light are at high risk of losing energy, most people do not. Admittedly there might not be as many chargers as petrol stations yet, but broadly it's the same as ICE, plan a little and don't be careless. I can say that because I was careless, twice, at 17. I also remember coming up through middle wales for a ferry in the middle of the night, on a weekend, with a storm and rain blowing hard....that was hairy, and was in an ICE!

Almost any longer return journey in Ireland can be basically mitigated by a single 20 minutes at a charger, all those long journeys will require a stop at some point anyway.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

Thanks. For your experience, the super chargers are typically quick to access, or there are long queues, in certain areas?

Not sure if now Tesla superchargers will be open to VW and other brands as well, thus potentially making chargers more busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 optip

i've used superchargers about 50 times over the last year and never had to wait - mostly Birdhill and Tralee. I imagine if I was using Sandyford a lot, I'd be waiting more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

In case it's of interest to anyone else, our 2023 MY lights that are not flat at home and are higher on the left, do NOT automatically adjust in mainland Europe and they definitely need to :(

Lights always higher on the ditch side of a car, to see along ditch or footpath for walkers, and to not blind drivers on other side of road...just less obvious in older style lights.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Only Sandyford and Cork are generally busy, Athenry can be busy at peak times e.g. Friday and Sunday. Longest I've had to queue was 60 seconds, one time in Mahon Point. That's since early 2020.

The only long queue I've ever heard of was just after collection day in Sandyford, although I know someone that went there even though they live on the North Side so would have been far quicker stopping in Kill 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Generally speaking, Tesla chargers have no ques.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I queued around 7 minutes a couple of weeks ago at Sandyford.

Never had to queue at castlebellingham, birdhill, Tralee or Johnstown bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

In Cork last week all four chargers were in use, but no queuing. As soon as one left another appeared shortly after. When I was driving out another Model 3 was driving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm curious about this one. I had a look on the Tesla Supercharger Map and noticed there is no plans in place for more superchargers. Is their growth in sales tracking with existing capacity for the existing network or are they missing something?

I don't own a Tesla but rented one in Venice and drove to and around Slovenia recently. Met queues and delays at superchargers in both Italy and Slovenia, the games and what not are grand but it got a bit tedious after a while. I collected a new Model 3 for a friend recently and had to go to the Sandyford supercharger, was shocked that it was so small at 4 spots and the only one inside the M50.

There are plans with sites identified. Or Thais in Santry was one.

I’ll try find the link. But listen, nothings a sure bet until they are built.

For the amount of Teslas in Ireland, the number of chargers here is actually above the normal per head of other markets so I'm not sure they're in any big rush to expand rapidly.

I don’t use the public network so I can’t be used as an example of it. I just take notice as I’m passing by.

But the average number of chargers per car should be high during the initial days, that would be a logical investment and factor into a marketing budget.

The incentive to have above average chargers when the market is already mature is weak. So if there isn't a drive for more chargers now do not hold up much hope for the future. That said, when marker matures I have no doubt all chargers will be usable by all cars and will all be faster and faster. Would hazard a guess initial petrol distribution channels were also fragmented and lacking consistency of offering...?

For all the talk about super chargers the lack of a supercharger in North Dublin and the more densely populated commuter towns was a surprise. Places like Santry, Nass, Ashbourne, Navan, would make geographically sense.

Controversial take maybe but the supercharger thing is somewhat a gimmick as things stand, for a huge part of the population. As the sales volumes are looking after themselves I can see why Tesla couldn't be bothered with adding more, they have covered main arteries for longer trips, but most of us don't do those trips but would benefit occasionally from the convenience of a fast charge on the commuter belt.

😎

Back into Tesla Y;

I have noticed the turn radius is amongst the worst I think I have experienced.

Still the best car I have owned though 😀

😎

Thanks for all your insights into the super chargers.

The only remaining concerns are that there will soon be more Teslas around, but probably the same amount of chargers, and also the fact that other brands might start using Tesla chargers due to recent agreements.

You are not restricted to Tesla chargers. You can also use ecars, ionity, cirkle k etc

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭max4ever

my average for MY RWD in the first 700KM is around 140 Wh/km which is around 428KM range .. this is a mix of city and motor way driving using AC most of the time. this probably will drop to 300-320KM in the winter

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your Tesla Model 3 or Model Y using my referral link -> https://www.tesla.com/referral/mohamed23185 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭JOL1

• Advertisement

RWD max charge is 170KW/h, many of the dc fast chargers can support that with no issues.. they are just more expensive and not as reliable compared to the Tesla superchargers at the moment.

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your Tesla Model 3 or Model Y using my referral link -> https://www.tesla.com/referral/mohamed23185 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm in and around the same consumption for 7500km. One thing to note though is that the Tesla is a bit of a hog for vampire drain when switched 'off' - a lot more so than other EVs I've owned - especially with Sentry on, and that usage is not included in the average. So if you're using Sentry a lot your range could be noticeably lower than it 'should' be based on consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I find my Model 3 is low on vampire drain when locked up and not being checked with the app, ie when goes properly to sleep. When away for 10 days hols used very little.

But, as you say, Sentry and Sentry 'light' use a good whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

What's the best paint protection you can get? Does it cost much to do and any recommendations?

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

Opening the app also wake up the car and uses battery.. i was doing this frequently in last couple of days to check for the new update (which still not showing) and it drops around 1% per day even when sentry is off

And forgot to add, the cabin overheat protection which is triggered at least twice a day

is there a fan on behind the frunk which runs when car is charging at home? I have turned over heat protection off, and still notice occasional fan noise. Must make sure it is off on both driver profiles, albeit again today i dont think the temp inside car was overly warm anyway.

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

6k? Yikes!

My neighbour got a white MY RWD in March and within a month had a couple of small chips on the frunk.

He was saying I should get it done before it's too late. But 6k!

Can you get just the frunk/front done for less? I'm thinking stones being thrown up by trucks etc

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

Advertisement