Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Dee Forbes letter stating that he wouldn't receive a pay cut would seem to contradict your statement above. The below letter states Tubs wouldn't be asked to take a pay cut between 2020 and 2025. The problem is that there is a difference in what RTE said and what RTE did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Just wondering had that Judge the power to dismiss all the cases before him today ? As you say it's only one Judge, we need all of them that have cases before them to speak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I've been reading the thread up until yesterday, but getting alerts on my phone today and it's all bullshit being pedaled now, thrown under the bus, witch hunt, over the top and what ever else. **** scumbags trying to downplay everything.

It's clear as day there was fuckery and pure theft of public money going on between the higher ups and there's no way this should be brushed under the carpet. If anything it should be the start of setting a new standard for every state, half state and part state run company.

Unreal what they're at now.

Literal thieving bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

Did you know about Hill 16 says Savonorola as if it was some type of classified information know to a privileged few🤣🤣🤣

I really enjoyed that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

I'm sure it must have been mentioned before in this thread but;

• RTÉ as the state broadcaster is probably meant to be impartial. Here we have a presenter taking what is effectively a bribe from a third party company. Renault received a marketing and brand awareness benefit in this transaction, that other car companies did not.
    • Did he pay BIK for this private use of a company vehicle? If he did not then he'll most likely be getting correspondence from Revenue.

'Whatever I said whatever I did I didn't mean it I just want a car for good'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Some thoughts from Gavan Reilly:

It strikes me that RTÉ is still in very volatile territory over the underdeclared payments to Ryan Tubridy from 2017–19 - an aspect of the whole controversy which has been largely overlooked given the later focus on barter accounts and the nuances (or otherwise) of RTE’s spending.

Having Tubridy and Noel Kelly attend two Oireachtas committees next Tuesday *could* be the final ‘bad news drop’ that ends the drip feed - not the recriminations, mind, but at least mark the bottom of the downswing. You can’t rebuild until you know where the foundation is.

But what if Grant Thornton’s report comes later and raises more unanswered issues? What if - hypothetically - there’s new info about playing hardball on the previous contract, or the unexplained €120k had a basis in some other undisclosed commercial involvement with a third party? What if, what if, what if…?

In the long-term best case scenario for all concerned, Tubridy and Noel Kelly offer an unvarnished explanation of the full seven years’ business - and not leave anything behind which is when only revealed by the eventual Grant Thornton report whenever that is (not too far away, by all accounts).

If there’s anything left behind, and it takes a subsequent Grant Thornton report to get to its root, what then? A second hauling in for Tubridy and Kelly? RTE’s top brass back into the PAC to contradict the testimony of the station’s pposter boy? More license fees not renewed? More sponsors dithering about attachment to a medium with a huge footprint and a tarnished name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Ahwell

That was after "strong pushback" from RT and NK to taking a paycut. Every other top earner took that cut, including other clients of NK. It would not have been tenable for it to be publicly known that RT was the only one to refuse a pay cut. Forbes, Tubridy and Kelly would certainly have known this. So it would not be credible to suggest that NK and RT were not aware that those payments were going to be hidden and why they were going to be hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Ask Marty why he gave back the car if he did nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

RTE news : 'Disgusted' Dublin judge slams 'freeloaders' within RTÉ

Fair play to this Judge.....

Do the NKM/Tubridy acolytes still think this is a "nothing burger"?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Its called tax evasion. It's a good assumption that is what Marty was up to.

He was hired by Renault to MC at events. Instead of wages/invoices etc he was "loaned" a car for free which by the looks of it he didn't declare to revenue.. He didn't declare because he would have to pay tax.

The value of car is 30k+ if he just got one car and drove for 5 years which is very doubtful. So he received at least 30k "under the table" as payment for the Renault event.

Renault are not responsible for Marty tax. That is his own responsibility especially when he is only working for them part time.

Marty was also aware of his responsibility as he had a car previously as a brand ambassador from BMW.

By the way if he done the event free and didn't get a free car then no problem. If he got the car and declared it no problem. If he done the events and got paid and declared it, no problem. He took the sneaky route so he didn't have to pay that pesky tax everyone else has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

Only a statement’ of fact.

Poster was under the impression that this judge’s statement somehow changes the consequences for not paying your TV licence.

He still fined everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Why does giving back the car have folks thinking something “wrong” had to have occurred?

The thread seem to have a few RTE people on here. Coordinated attempts to have the thread closed last week and posters banned. A huge amount of posters who are now posting the same post to make it seem there's more sympathy for RTE, Tubridy than their is in reality. This legally nothing wrong is their closure statement.

I do wonder who we have among us or who is acting for who. The PR game is alive and well here for apologists of lies and greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I expect next week play out this way...

RT expresses apologies, regret, promises to do gooder in future. He will blame RTE and his agent. They will have coached him on every possible question, and how to respond, in advance. They will make it look like he didn't know all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

I expect Ryan to be fully vindicated. He is a genuine and kind person in words and in actions. He's been a loyal servant to RTE and didn't deserve to be thrown under the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Exactly - the only reason he's appearing is to try to save his job and €300k per year salary or whatever it is for radio. He knows financially he's ruined and will never work again if he doesn't come clean, apologize and re-win public sentiment.

• Advertisement

Because he had the car for years and only returned it once the proverbial poo was hitting the fan at RTE. Coincidence maybe, but most times if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a duck.

Optics, of course… the world is a lot different today. People tripping over themselves to be contrite, just in case they might need to be contrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This country is full of that craic. I've worked in banks and Big 4 Gooch, Darran O'Sullivan, Cian O Sullivan, Dan Flynn amongst other. Given jobs and they do absolutely **** all. Spent half the day on photoshoots.

Bernard Brogan before he set up his own thing (successful tbf) worked in the IFSC and was allowed take off whenever he wanted just because he played for the Dubs to work on whatever side gig he wanted.

Managers all think they are great fellas because the play intercounty.

We have appalling Governance standards in this country and you will usually find where there is appalling Governance there is some gombeen man running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Well if he has done nothing wrong, two questions need to be answered.

Why did he give back the car?

Why is he looking into his tax affairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Get rid of RT, ban NK from dealing with RTE, and clean house of the executive board - move on with long talks with the workers and the rural Rte workers who were cut from any meaning ful engagement. Put in place rigorous financial regulations/protocols- make laws clear. Salary cap. No more contractors. Employees only

there must be repercussions- there must be standards set

Move on as a national broadcaster

Why have all the other TV presenters with car deal kept their and only Marty, after prompting, went running back with his after 5 years.

He will be a great asset to all the other TV companies who are chasing his signature. RTE owe him nothing at this stage and should let him off into the great wide World so he can share his excellent skills with the rest of the World

So he’s now guilty of tax evasion? Did I miss breaking news? You really really want it to be true, don’t you!

• Advertisement

Sure. Or, he knew he shouldn't have received the car in lieu of payment for services he provided and he thought if he gave it back now nobody would notice.

Unfortunately somebody tipped off Timmy Dooley, who dropped the question in very purposely last minute before his allocated time was up at this week's committee heading.

Dooley then realised he dropped his fellow county man in a heap of bother and is now backtracking trying to say its not a big deal, when he certainly wanted to make a big deal of it and go viral (which happened).

And then Marty's GAA colleague Joe Brolly weighs in to say this isn't a big deal, after making a song and dance about the Tubridy issue.

It all stinks. Marty has been caught. He will get his comeuppance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement