Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Fair play to RT and NK offering to help the committee.

i think this transparency is to be applauded.

RT reminds me of a boxer who was knocked to the ground - but who got back up and even though the boxer is getting a thrashing he still knows he will be champ through a knock out punch in the last round.

The whole country owe RT an apology as he did nothing illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

That's up there with Joe Duffy's statement of "you can't detect metal".

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

It's premeditated, not venial if you check your caththechism.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

A big problem for RTE is the drip drip of information. The CFO not knowing there were more than 1 barter account beggars belief and speaks of incompetence in how RTE is run. Their needs to be a root and branch investigation from when Bob Collins stood down on how RTE was run and a complete audit of all financial dealings. It was immoral of Forbes to give Tubridy a letter of guarantee that his wages would not go down especially at a time when wages were cut across the board. It was outrageous if Tubridy requested that to stay at RTE at a time when he was telling us we're all in this together. Tubridy and Kelly appearing at the committee is going to be interesting.

A starting point to repairing public trust with RTE is for them to not give presenters more than 200k a year contracts. If they reject them then hunt for new talent. No more sneaky side table deals to top up earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wrong and illegal are two very different but sometimes linked words.

He has done enough wrong to justify his media career going up in flames. A number of reasons for this.

The public have every right to judge him based on his persona over the past thirty years. God knows he did enough judging himself in his time.

He is a very wealthy man. Pick another hill to die on.

• Advertisement

It doesn’t matter - as long as you say you’re sorry then you’re grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

Somebody unthread said it should be capped at €100k.

Id put a limit of 10,000 and see how that works out.

You're a very obvious troll. The odd funny post but a troll is a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It must be frustrating for you that the other guy got in with that gimmick first.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a certain type of person who is incapable of understanding that people might have different opinions of this. High on fake outrage, they can’t seem to realise that the more rounded thinker knows this is a bit of a nothing burger and the start of the silly season.

Sure; RTÉ will need some reform (and better enforcement of the law around paying the licence), but the suggestion we close it up; that Tubs will never work again, or that there’s crime involved is the type of deluded thinking that emerges when someone has far too much time on their hands.

I can assure you I am not trolling - this topic is too serious.

please look back on my previous posts - you will see each and every post is well researched and I am 100% polite to all who interact with me and to those with whom I interact.

pkease go to the effort to pick out just one of my previous posts that confirm your suspicions of trolling.

i guarantee you, you will be found wanting.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How exactly have RTE "thrown him to the furnace" or "shafted him" because those words are potentially libellous?

Indeed, there are different view points.

However, no one can or should say that's there's no crime or illegality here without an investigation into same.

Tubs can never work again for RTE.

RTE are in serious trouble over this. The license income will collapse..people just won't pay based on this issue alone - advertisers will look on it in a different light. These two things will fundamentally require serious reform not just 'some' reform.

It's more serious than some others would suggest (including a fair few people on this thread who wouldn't even admit this is a scandal in the first instance.

As a poster said earlier hopefully this is a watershed with regards to corruption in this country.

I hope all comes out and punishment fits the crime. No more fumbling in a greasy till. No more over payments and outlandish perks.

No more of certain strata in Irish society thinking they are better than others. No more entitlement. No more BS from their characterless appeasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

i Must admit I am one of the posters who believe nothing illegal has occurred but this opportunity must be grasped to reform the national broadcaster.

however - such reforms (like all reforms) would take years to implement (phasing out and phasing in periods).

i think any changes that take place should take place gradually and the problem with gradual change is that it appears as if nothing is changing

You have to have something to aspire to.

The easiest thing to do is type a 2 word negative response.

Are you saying truth, transparency, honesty aren't worth pursuing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Libellous to who? RTE isn't going to sue anyone for libel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What slipped this week is the enormous amount of time given for this review. 8 months!

Ridiculous! And 6 people are needed for these reviews.

Catherine Martin for the birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The main issue with the Kerins case was her being asked questions which were not within the terms of reference as set out in the letter that the PAC sent inviting her to appear. I don't think the same problem is going to arise here. As reported, the terms of reference for RT and NK are...

Payments to presenters and personnel at RTÉ, specifically from 2017 to date

Details of Mr Tubridy's contractual relationships with RTÉ, including related payments and exit fees

The process relating to the tripartite agreement, including its negotiation and sign-off, the content of the tripartite agreement, and the issue of it being underwritten by RTÉ

The raising of associated invoices and related payments, the details of the invoices, and who was aware of same

Any instructions given by Mr Tubridy to Mr Kelly, and any further discussions in that regard before finalisation of the agreement

The call of 7 May 2020 and the letter that followed from [former RTÉ director general] Dee Forbes to Mr Tubridy

Any matters arising from the material that will be provided to the committee in advance of the meeting, and that RTÉ are expected to provide to the committee by Monday 10 July

one possibility to reform the national broadcaster

how about establishing something like a “bad bank” - this would be the new organisation - and it’s sole purpose would be a parking area for old contracts to run down.

here you can “park” talent until their contracts run out.

after some time the “bad bank” will cease to exist.

remaining would be a leaned down organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting point on Twitter... how did it happen Marty did an unsponsored show on RTE heavily featuring a Renault?

Was there a product placement fee? Should one have been sought?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I finally figured out what Tubridy next career move will be. He is destined to become irelands first ever sumo wrestler world champion. He needs to start eating breakfast roll and chicken fillet roll from Ger’s Deli Ballyfermot each day, then Chinese, Indian and kebab takeout in the evening, and train in SBG in between. Then he can take on the Giant Panda in Yokohama stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sorolla, credit where it's due, I have to admire your dedication to your craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

And, out of curiosity, who have you in mind for this "bad bank", or as the rest of us call it...Lyric FM? Obviously not golden boy Tubridy. He should remain forever.

For the record I like Lyric FM but couldn't resist...

How can you state that nothing illegal has happened without knowing the full facts?

I'll leave that to the professional auditor's, Gardai, DPP and courts if required to make that call.

Further facts and information are coming out almost on a daily basis at this point. There are a few reports pending and further investigations lined up over the coming months.

I mean the performance of some of the execs and board members here would seriously worry anyone. How can you have any confidence that they have a handle on things?

I see their performance and incompetence and ask myself what do I need to do to get these gigs? I couldn't do any worse....

Certain things need gradual change but there are a number of things that need to change fast here. That should be obvious. Others can take longer but one would hope with some of the reviews in the pipeline a roadmap to change things in the longer term will come about.

They days of paying 'talent' the sums that they have been to this point should be coming to their last legs and a heap of execs and directors should be heading elsewhere elsewhere, if they would be taken!

The minister reminds me of Debbie O Brien from Fair City

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The poster is just repeating that like a mantra. It has no foundation.

They also said they were in a pub discussing Terry Wogan and Eamonn Andrews with teenagers knocking back pints.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

We have been here and in similar places countless times in my memory. We are no closer to a watershed moment than any time in the past in my own cynical opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement