Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

At 3:36 pm on Saturday 12, there was a hydrogen explosion on the service floor of the building above unit 1 reactor containment, blowing off the roof and cladding on the top part of the building, after the hydrogen mixed with air and ignited.

There is some dispute among experts about the character of this second explosion, but it is likely to have been caused by the production of hydrogen from zirconium-steam reactions.

https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/safety-and-security/safety-of-plants/fukushima-daiichi-accident.aspx

https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/safety-and-security/safety-of-plants/chernobyl-accident.aspx

Didn't fail in the same way per se but lookit, reactors can still fail and spew out radioactive material. They could also sabotage any number of safety and failsafe systems to engineer a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

How are people able to determine the offensive isn't going as planned? From the outset the Ukrainian officials have said it would be slow and little more.

Only the media and commentators have been bigging it up for clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Scaremongering nonsense

Look at the second quote and form the context.

Slower than desired, desired by whom?

He didn't say slower than expected or slower than planned. They've said from the outset that it would be slow.

Like I said, clickbait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I suppose it isnt going as planned in the sense that people expected high speed manouvre warfar but the Ukrainians are settling in for good old fashion brute force/attrition.

Possibly its not going as planned because not only are Ukraine fighting in the style of Russia, but they are doing it better than Russia.

Well he hardly meant the west (who have imposed no time constraints) and he's certainly not referring to Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Ramasun

Planned and desired don't mean the same thing. In any language I know anyway.

• Advertisement

It's two separate quotes planted into a tweet. We have no idea of context, which is my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

Slowly, slowly, SLOWLY at the beginning while the ‘road blocks ‘ are being removed and then faster and faster and even FASTER as the place becomes clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

But how will the soldiers loyal to Prigozhin react if anything untoward happens to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'm not sure if they are amongst the list of banned munitions or not, but they should be!! Some military's drop them with little yellow parachutes, so they can drift ( its what happened to the one I saw in NIS.) Theoretically, the yellow makes them easy to see and safely dispose of. But that's a job for professionals....lots of kids and curious adults as well have been killed / maimed when they even approached them. From what I've heard ( according to my de-mining friends) They fall and land, and if they don't explode, they just lie there. Problem is that they are extremely unstable and literally anything can set them off. They do not have to be touched physically. The fractional change in temperature of your shadow on them will set them off. But if a couple of thousand of them were dropped over heavily defended Russian positions, they would play merry hell with Russian plans, for sure. And let them form part of the massive mine/uxo program that will have to be run post invasion years.

Let's pin Mick Ryan's prediction for 2023 here while we are at it.

The best case would see all of Ukraine liberated this year.

Complete liberation by end of 2023.

The most likely is that large parts of the east and south of the country are liberated, placing Ukraine in a good strategic position to regain Crimea, which Russia annexed in 2014.

Complete liberation bar Crimea (and maybe a small part of the Donbas by 2023?).

Reading through that Tweet thread, it doesn't make much sense. Mick Ryan uses a few analogies that don't really apply here. This isn't like the Normandy breakout, nor is it like the liberation of Kuwait in 1991. Those were two wars where one side overwhelmed the other. As of right now in this conflict, I don't see either side having enough advantage to overwhelm the other.

Yes, no one knows what will happen, and the focus is on the hardened parts of the reactor building, but what happens with less protected areas? Lots of unknowns, but one thing is sure, placing bombs or explosives anywhere near a nuclear reactor is not a good idea at any time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That’s a decision the Ukrainians can make for themselves. Countries most likely to need them are the ones who haven’t been signatories to the cluster munitions ban (Same with the anti-personnel land mine ban). They are kept in inventory because they work. Ukraine and Russia both have been using it for some time, the Ukrainians using either old Soviet or Turkish stocks thus far.

Frankly, the battle zone is going to need inch by inch de-mining for years to come, the addition of even more cluster munitions into the mix isn’t going to affect that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Who's to say they are not the only detonators? What about inside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

A nuclear attack through any means is going to be seen as a massive threat by the major powers in the world. This includes taking out a reactor.

Even China won't like this level of escalation. Russia showing they are willing to use nuclear means to hurt their enemies will be taken as a direct threat to every major power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The way I see this war now is the gloves are off. Both sides are going toe to toe until someone gets knocked out. From what I see Russia are losing far more soldiers but more importantly equipment.

If this trend continues Ukraine will be a graveyard for the entire Russian army. Obviously Russia will adapt and learn from mistakes but if Ukraine can really get a fleet of western jet's, ATACMS and attack helis on the go Russia could be in a very grim position come next summer.

If Wagner marched to Moscow this summer imagine what'll happen next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

Seems Prigozhin could be in for a rough ride if he really has returned to Russia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Beverly Hills, California

The United States and other Western donors have sent millions of non-cluster howitzer shells to Ukraine, but stockpiles are running low and manufacturing cannot keep up with demand. It “is not enough,” Reznikov said. “The Russians use three or four times more artillery shells of different calibers than we do. And we must conserve because we can’t shell as intensively,” he added.

It's pretty clear for weeks now Ukraine isn't getting what it needs. Particularly, the delays in pledged regular 155mm artillery will always make a counter offensive difficult. I doubt these cluster munitions by themselves will change things dramatically, but getting them should greatly enhance the ability of Ukraine in the trench clearing activity.

As with any donation, everything depends on the numbers received and timeliness they are provided.

One thing you have to understand about Russia, and how Prigozhin was able to move a large convoy of vehicles to within 150 miles of Moscow. In Russia, appearances are everything. Any large column of military vehicles seen heading for Rostoz would be considered completely normal, ( Rostov being a major military centre )and they passed plenty of checkpoints on the way, ( simply because there are many checkpoints on Russian roads, no matter where they are heading to) Plus no one was going to challenge that kind and size of convoy anyway. But then some one woke up and sent in the attack helicopter's etc, but that stopped when Prigozhin shot them out of the sky. I'm not sure if the convoy was attacked before it arrived at Rostov, or on the road from Rostov to Moscow. Same thing will happen anywhere in Russia where a large 4 x 4 vehicle, with blacked out windows will be stopped at a checkpoint. The driver will demand in no uncertain terms " Why am I being stopped? Don't you know who I am?" and in most cases, the policeman will salute and apologize before waving the car on. That's Russia for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In all fairness, a large private army being attacked by military helicopters on Russian soil while heading to the capital with the intent to overthrow the senior military commanders, then shooting them out of the sky and getting away with it is quite a bit different to some big-wig putting a checkpoint cop in his place.

The Wagner convoy was not a normal day in Russia by any stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

Russia normal is already an oxymoron

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

A piece to counter some of the doom and gloom being posted here.

"A report published on Thursday by the U.S.-based think tank (ISW) cited pro-Russian military bloggers who said that Russia's army was lacking defensive capabilities in southern Ukraine due to an inability to "rotate" troops in and out of combat."

"The ISW report suggests that it may become more difficult for Moscow to halt the counteroffensive the longer it continues. The report notes a military blogger's claim that Russian troops mobilized in the southeastern Ukraine region of Zaporizhzhia had been on the frontlines since October 2022 without any rotations, due to no available personnel to replace them."

"ISW said. The failure to conduct any rotations will likely result in a quicker rate of degradation for Russian formations defending against Ukrainian counteroffensives in southern Ukraine."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Prigozhin is dead, the guy has a MASSIVE mouth and is not capable of shutting it, he's silent for too long. dead men can nag .

You confuse wishful thinking with facts and it's not how the world works. If Trump gets back in things could change very quickly. Let's hope that doesn't happen. But the reality is Ukraine's hope of winning the war is very much dependent on Western backing. That doesn't make it a puppet state. It's just a fact about a power relationship and your personal insults against anyone who disagrees with you won't change that

Post edited by rogber on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can you imagine the state of mind of troops that have been on a front-line for 9 months without any rotation?! Any that survive are likely to be deeply broken and a real risk to civilians if returned to domestic life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Lets be honest, America is a capitalist dreamland, no president is going to ignore the military manufacturers lobbying to keep production up. And regardless if (and it'd be one ridiculous level of IF) trump got back in, his military advisory is going to keep pounding the lesson into his head that for a fraction of their annual military budget, and no boots on the ground, they are decimating the Russian army.

US may look benevolent but this is about keeping the biggest dog on top, this is a cheap way to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There has been a real lull in front line reporting in the past week. If you look at what's in the headlines it's mostly to do with the wider conflict: Prigozhin, Cluster Munitions & ATACMs chatter, Russian missile attacks on civilian centres. What's more there hasn't even been any Russian crowing about failed offensives.

That leads me to the conclusion that recent commentary that Ukraine have changed tactics seems to be true. From what I've read it goes something like this:

1. After the Ukrainains blew all of the Russian ammo dumps with HIMARs last year it forced the Russians to move them further to the rear with ammo being brought to the artillery units by trucks on an as-need basis
    2. In their frontal assaults so far the Ukrainians have had the most difficulty with being targeted by artillery. Yes they're getting caught up in minefields but that mostly just slows them down and makes them easier to hit with artillery
    3. Putting 1 & 2 together the Ukrainians have a new tactic of driving along the front-lines in parallel so that they are targetted by artillery but on the move
    4. Russian military doctrine is that they open up their artillery in a situation like this and fire everything that they have until the target is destroyed or....
    5. ....they run out and call for a re-up from their ammunition stores in the far-rear
    6. The Ukrainians now have a window of opportunity while the Russians have to wait. Now is the time to attack directly
    7. Also counter-battery will have picked up the position of the artillery and they can target that
    8. The theory further goes on to say that the Russians have reacted to this by brining their ammunition piles closer to the front....
    9. ....but that leaves them susceptible to being hit by the likes of HIMARs and Storm Shadow which is something that we really have been seeing a lot of in the past week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Sounds like a modern version of the battle of Guagamela. Stretching the enemy's line before punching through.

Saw a video espousing similar last night:

enjoy (7 mo old video but some of this equipment is way older than that)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

think youve hit the nail on the head...or another way...the russian defence positions with an artillery round

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Advertisement

Yes it is, none the less, that's the "Russian Way", and my query as to at what point the helicopters attacked, before they got to Rostov, or afterwards, on the road to Moscow? in other words, was Prigozhin only taken seriously after he left Rostov?. Because they sure as hell covered a lot of ground between Ukraine and Rostov, and met plenty of check points, and especially now with the war ongoing. Bear in mind that contrary to what is emerging now, on that day, there was an awful lot of fence sitters, waiting to see which way the dice would fall. Personally, I'd say that he could have pulled it off had he gone on to the Kremlin. Putin and other Government royalty had already left Moscow. But for some reason, he pulled out, so now we may never know what really happened on that day

Biden approves cluster bombs

Report and video ^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Ukraine also wanted them to dissemble them and use their submunitions to be dropped from their drones as they are already rigged to fall straight and detonate on impact.

They just need to 3d print a new holder and away they go!

Interesting that the dud rate is quoted under 6% (Ukraine look to be getting more reliable ones at under 3%). Sean Bell on sky news was using a 20-25% dud figure this morning, despite that link stating the reduce figure (article was posted yesterday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It will be interesting to see if the (hopeful) arrival of ATACMS will precipitate a rapid change in the dynamic. If the the Ukrainians are able to pin point the Russian batteries covering the defensive lines, they could aim to crush them in one area to allow for a pentration of the lines

Very interesting article about the mood on the front line in Ukraine, from soldiers and medics. Some optimistic, some pessimistic. And certainly a reminder that for those doing the fighting war is really a hellish business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think Paris is about to surrender based on the Russian map of the campaign.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

11,000 tanks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

I think that figure includes the 1,000 destroyed Leopard 3 and 4 tanks.

More aid from the US.

Obviously the cluster munitions were a given, but another 31x 155 howitzers, 32x more Bradleys and 32x Strykers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Maybe Ukraine only really have the capacity to reasonably operate 100-150 Bradleys as they're currently set up.

But they have the 150 Bradleys on free refill like a Coke in WowBurger. Russia's going to have to destroy an awful lot more Bradleys before its more than a rounding error to the US.

This is why I'm hopeful about this war. Providing the orange idiot doesn't reappear. They'll be pretty set once the F16s/Abrams show up. Once the tap is in service that's the end of it. Even if the UAF only operate 20-50 F16s Russia would literally have to down hundreds of the things to make any real difference. And that won't be happening.

Bit disappointing not to see the ATACMS in this round though.

AFAIK Ukrainians are still being trained on combined arms, so this could be a newly trained battalion/brigade (what ever the term) being formed.

It's always a let down when ATACMS aren't announced, especially now Storm Shadow was given to Ukraine and also Ukraine are in talks with Poland about purchasing an air to sea & land attack system with 200km range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sky news US correspondent says the US cluster bomb deal is clear sign the war isn’t going well for Ukraine but that they could shift the momentum significantly on the ground, wiping out heavily dug in Russian troops.

The Pentagon (Kahl) have even come out and said the counter offensive is going "slower than hoped" and that the Russians have dug in more successfully than expected.

Yet still some here will claim everything is going perfectly according to plan.

At least the US is more honest in its appraisal. But let's hope they deliver what's necessary to give more momentum before another autumn rolls around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Considering how long the forces of putin had to prepare for the Ukrainian counteroffensive I think it is very unlikely that there was a rigid plan that the moskovyte defenses would have already been weakened enough for the Ukrainians to have serious momentum in their efforts to liberate their country back to the internationally agreed borders. I'm only looking at a limited amount of this war coverage on social media but to me it seems highly plausible that Ukraine is now quite content to turn the forces of putin into fertiliser where they stand rather than loosing more Ukrainian lives simply to see more moskovyte surrounded and forced to surrender or run away without paying for their crimes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement