Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lockdown started long before vaccination was even credible. Once vaccinations were rolled out we seen what you refer to as two tier but in reality this is a balance of keeping as many safe as possible while allowing society to function. It's a tough call, without vaccinations we would have relaxed restrictions anyway as society would need to function at a normal level eventually. It's been seen in pandemics before and most of the world done surprisingly well all things considered. Nothing in public health is done for the well being of the individual, it is all for the greater good which alot of people struggle with as a concept.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sweden had a 10fold higher level of excess mortality during the first wave than it's closest neighbour. It actually decreased in their neighbour but this is effectively displaced mortality and will catch up over the following years. The data is published. It will eventually level out as everyone eventually dies. It all depends on whether the few extra years at the end of someone's life are worth it, some thought it was, some thought it wasn't. Hindsight is wonderful and everyone could have done things better, unfortunately none of us had the benefit of hindsight at the time.

Experts did over estimate the excess mortality in Sweden but these were based on models that implied no one in Sweden done anything, former colleagues of mine in Lund said that it was hit and miss but people were standing back, alot wore masks in certain situations and so on.

NPHET here were similar in their models expected the worst in human behavior but we were better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Life didn't ' go on as normal' in Sweden.

Some areas had restrictions and some businesses suffered due to lack of footfall as people self restricted and stayed home during the early wave.

From Dec 2020 the government brought in restrictions and vaccinations started early 2021 as everywhere.

It is thought that their high excess deaths in 2020 reduced numbers of elderly who might have died in 2021 and 2022 especially as they had very low excrss deaths in the years preceding the pandemic.

This in effect caused a ' harvesting' of elderly Swedes in 2020, and these numbers were reduced with restrictions and changes to elderly treatment in the year after

This has been duscussed and data linked extensively already on the thread, and as Cramcycle says this is expected to level out over the next few years.

A point on restrictions and the 2 tier system...

When vaccinations were being rolled out we were infected here with Alpha and following that Delta which were far more deadly than the current Omicron variant.

People were dying or in ICU largely towards the end of 2021 unvaccinated in much greater numbers, despite restrictions.

So it wasn't a benign infection as some revisionists would like us to believe.

Many people who contracted Delta are still suffering effects of long Covid which is now believed to have cardiac implications for 18 months or more.

Omicron infection while not thought to have contributed to long Covid initially is now believed to be linked to cardiac deaths and illness also.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Some good points there. That shows the importance of cumulative excess deaths over the extended period beginning with the start of the pandemic and extending a few years after. When we do this we find Sweden no worse than their neighbor Nordic countries such as Norway. It will take time to understand why this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

It's hard to fathom that there are 334 pages of arguing about Sweden's covid response in Ireland in July 2023. I've live in Sweden for seven years. Life did not stop here. There was maybe a few weeks where a few things were shut and bands didn't tour. At the height of it, it was 'recommended' that we wear a mask during rush hour on public transport. I was on public transport everyday and would estimate that around 25% complied with the recommendation and without wanting to sound in anyway racist, these were in my estimate immigrants, probably not very well educated based on the industry start times they were commuting to, and I, at the time pondered whether the hysteria spouted by news outlets in their home states, compounded the fear that led to the compliance if you will. The Swedes for the most part, refused to comply with the recommendations which shocked me as I always attributed how well this country runs to the willingness and ability of it's natives to follow rules and directions. Covid is over lads, find a new obsession or hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭dmc17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Maybe it isn't an obsession just a 'healthy interest'.

Imho, it was fascinating to see how different countries reacted to Covid from the USA to China to New Zealand to Sweden to the UK & of course, Ireland. Indeed the reactions to the Covid pandemic highlighted the respective strengths & characteristics of different societies in stark contrast imho.

And now that the Covid danger has abated, & the pandemic is over, it's also fascinating to see which countries approaches actually worked, and of course what measures didn't. In trying to figure this out, Sweden's overall low excess deaths, with very low to no restrictions is an outlier, and looks likely to show a lot of actions taken by other countries were likely ineffective, inefficient and over the top. Ireland is likely to be in that group imho.

I understand. As grateful as we were here for the lack of restrictions, and the privilege of quick accessibility to good vaccines as they became available...I believe the incessant arguing over who was right or wrong in the pandemic forgets that we havn't experienced this in modern times and the lessons we could take from previous pandemics were not huge as society has changed so much since they occurred and governments did their utmost best to minimise deaths, with the resources available coupled with the advice given by the WHO. I know an English chap who worked under Tegnell, whose job prospects based on a degree on tropical diseases from a London university seemed slim until the pandemic made it one of the most sought after qualifications in the world.

If you had spent the pandemic in Ireland with its restrictions and lockdowns, it would be easier to understand. One of the arguments commonly used in favour of increased restrictions here was "Look at Sweden!". This continued long after it was apparent that Sweden did not have huge numbers of dead by EU standards.

The other thing to remember is that data about excess deaths over the extended period, which includes both the pandemic phase as well as the fall-out from the lockdowns, is only really becoming available now. Hence a resurrecting of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Look at England. Why didn't trying the Swedish strategy work for them?

Perhaps not so easy when you have a strained health service, higher population density and movements around jurisdictions. As opposed to Sweden surrounded by countries which did lock down and impose restrictions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I don't think overall the UK adopted the Swedish strategy. Yes at the beginning it looked as if it might but then later backed down and followed a restrictions-based strategy like other countries.

I do agree however that when choosing a strategy conditions in that country have to be taken into consideration. In particular I think an adaptable health service is key.

I'm not sure I agree with your point that surrounding countries locking down was a great advantage to Sweden. Sure, it is less likely that someone will bring the virus in from one of those countries, but once the virus takes hold in a country, international travel doesn't make a huge amount of difference, the virus being spread from person to person withing the country.

We had a surge of cases here due to Irish people returning from Cheltenham. It can kick off clusters.

Had Ireland not locked down, and UK did, we would have been the origins of those Cheltenham like clusters.

Countries adopted restrictions on long distance movement. If you think of Scandinavia as a region, I think it is certainly plausible that those parts of Sweden which bordered countries which did lock down avoided some such clusters.

Sweden was also part of an international response which saw huge reductions and restrictions on international travel.

The UK tried to adopt a Swedish strategy. Your description of events leaves out the elephant in the room - why did they abandon it? They abandoned in because their hospitals started filling up and they needed to bring down the R factor before the cases got to the stage the NHS couldn't cope.

The Swedish strategy doesn't scale and imo took a free ride on its neighbours and also to a large extent relied upon the strength of its health service and geographic position. As goldengirl has documented, Sweden took actions in 2020 with regard to care which were derelictions of medical responsibility. Had Tengell's predictions of infection rate been correct, the toll of death and long covid would have dwarfed the actual excess in 2020. He was wrong in terms of the severity of the disease (underestimate) and infection rate to herd immunity (overestimate). The consequences of this mistake would have been far worse than the mistake in the precautionary stance adopted elsewhere of overestimating severity.

That is not to say that all actions Ireland (or any other country) took were necessarily optimal either, but I don't think Sweden has any direct lessons for Ireland or other countries.

There may be micro lessons to be learned all across the board wrt 'adaptable health service', or better ways health services could have mitigated risk and provided services during the pandemic -> but so far on the thread I haven't seen any specific examples from Sweden as to risk mitigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

UK didn't have the lower population density or healthcare system to keep on with the Sweden experiment (and you'll notice that very few anti-lockdown people are proposing doubling the size of the healthcare budget to better handle a future pandemic).

Crucially though, from an economic perspective, Sweden did worse than it's surrounding countries, Ireland's economy fared one of the best through the whole pandemic.

So it depends on how you rate success, if you rate success by amount of freedom you have during a pandemic, then the Swedish model might be fine (remember to put 10% more of your pay into healthcare forever more), if you rate it by the state of the economy and number of people alive after a pandemic, then the Swedish model was a failure (even with very favourable conditions).

But this is just it: The excess death rate for Sweden from the start of the pandemic to ~now is the lowest in Europe. (Read the Sunday Times editorial I posted last week in this very thread)

Whereas in stark contrast, Ireland, who locked down very severely during the pandemic, currently has an excess death rate (@ 13.7%) that's running twice as high as at the peak of the pandemic. So you must measure deaths (& well being) both during a pandemic & after to guage a countries' overall success imho.

Also it is total excess deaths that counts , as we know deaths caused from things like missed cancer screenings, complications due to postponing elective surgeries, lack of social contact, physical inactivity etc, etc because of lockdown are just as 'deadly' as dying of covid. (Funny thing that hey!?)

But jeez, why our public health docs got the balance so wrong on that still amazes me tbh.

I mean NPHET had to be forced by the Taoiseach to reduce lockdown measures very reluctantly the first summer when cases were dropping dramatically due to seasonal effects which was disgraceful imho. And NPHET's attitude to using antigen testing & facemasks was just so condescending & incomprehensible as to make you totally question their competence.

P.s. Ireland doing well economically during covid was a fortunate anomaly I suspect, probably mostly down to the high concentration of ICT & Pharmaceutical & Life Science multinational companies based here whose sectors did disproportionately well during the pandemic.

Maybe Swedens economic performance was unfortunate and lower excess death rate later on was fortunate.

Or we could look at the data properly and look at things like age profiles, expected death rates and economic performance.

Sweden compares most unfavorably against its neighbours, Ireland compares favorably to Sweden but not as favorably to Denmark (depending on how much weight you put on economic performance).

Sweden still has a better healthcare system than Ireland with higher taxes and lower economic performance.

And I'm not sure if "older people died sooner than expected if there wasnt a pandemic" is the argument winner many think it is, most older people would prefer to live those extra years.

Strawman arguments...

Sweden has a much lower excess death rate from the start of the pandemic to now than Ireland & practically every other European country.

Yes they have a less densely populated country than Ireland & a better health service, but even allowing for these factors their relative performance seems extraordinary.

Imho, The human & health costs of lockdown measures look to have been massively underestimated by regimes like Ireland's. And we will be dealing with the secondary & tertiary effects of lockdown for many years to come unfortunately....

Post edited by daithi7 on

Do you research anything before you type or do the thoughts fall straight through the filter undetected? Sweden has double Ireland's population.

The population density of:

Sweden is 25/ Km2

Ireland 72/ Km2

UK 281/ Km2

Perhaps it is you who should try to think before you type!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ah Daithi is that not just dividing the land mass by the population? That doesn't work.

I'd think Sweden's approach was better than Ireland's but population density and country's land mass isn't important when huge tracts of that land are uninhabited.

Sweden's urban population is about 88%. Ireland's is about 64%.

• Advertisement

In fairness it is Astrofool that raised the issue of population density arguing that Sweden's lower density gave it an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Nope . If you are being so specific about who said what , Astrofool commented on the UK not having the low population density or healthcare system to keep on with the Swedish experiment , not the other way round as you say .

"UK didn't have the lower population density or healthcare system to keep on with the Sweden experiment" .

And to the thread generally ..

Sweden had low excess deaths prior to the pandemic deemed because of their very good healthcare , and subsequently lost a lot of those in older age groups in that first year of Covid 2020 .

Following introduction of stricter restrictions and better care for elderly patients in 2021 their excess deaths reduced and while not going back to their normal excess deaths since , have continued to be lower than other countries, it is believed due to the 'harvesting 'effect of 2020 .

Not exactly a feat to be replicated elsewhere and we did not do too well in this regard either in the first wave in 2020.

However we don't have the excellent healthcare system they have , so sustained pressure during and since the pandemic has meant any other stress or pressure has resulted in increased waiting times , morbidity, and deaths , as has happened with other healthcare systems around the world, eg NHS.

This has been documented in data and research , discussed and linked to earlier in this thread by myself and others , in case anyone accuses me of just expressing an opinion .

Goldengirl 6:34pm Nope . If you are being so specific about who said what, Astrofool commented on the UK not having the low population density or healthcare system to keep on with the Swedish experiment , not the other way round as you say .

However as I think humberklog suggested, population density isn't really a valid factor. You could have a vast expanse of wilderness with nobody living in it, and then a city with everyone crammed together. This would still be a low population density country but would still encourage transmission of disease. A better measure might be something like percentage of urbanized population.

Well yeah, that's why I posted that 88% of Swedes live in urbanised areas and (for measure) 64% of Irish do. Although that Irish % seems low to me. I'm just going on data I could find on line.

Ireland should have the advantage in that regard. But of course, there are many other factors to take into consideration. The housing situation is better in Sweden from what I have hear. Less sharing of accommodation. Another factor may be that there was more spread of the virus in the early days building up a degree of natural immunity that may have helped reduce the need for restrictions later on.

Loads of factors, too many to put it on one.

Many of the early deaths reported were (according to news sources at the time that I read and heard) from the immigrant population. In particular the Somalian population who often live in accommodation with lots of multi-generational family members.

So what do we actually know:

That since the start of the pandemic to now:

Sweden has the lowest excess death rate in Europe

Sweden also had no or low lockdown measures & certainly the most lax in Europe

Ireland's current excess death rate is 13.7%, & is now running at over twice the death rate during the pandemic

Ireland had very long periods of very restrictive lockdown measures.

And while it's not yet categorically proven, it's highly likely imho, that Ireland is suffering the secondary & tertiary negative effects of strict lockdown

I.e. the cure was worse than the disease

If the excess death figures are 'raw' and not adjusted for age and mortality changes since the baseline, then it is a very doubtful basis to form an opinion on. When UK adjusted mortality figures for 2022 for example, there were no actual excess deaths.

There is no basis to state that the cure was worse than the disease, when you have no foundation for what the impact in county X would be without restrictions.

As there it is presumption only that Swedish results would have followed in other countries, had Swedish approach been adopted on a wider basis. England tried to follow something like the Swedish approach, and had to abandon it.

Whilst we might criticize excess deaths figures as being "raw", they do have the advantage of capturing all the deaths (those due to Covid as well as those due to measures introduced to combat Covid).

On that basis they are superior to for example, "Covid deaths" which formed the basis of headlines throughout the crisis. These too, remember, are highly sensitive to the age profile of the country in question.

It is known, for example, that Sweden has more individuals in the older age brackets than Ireland. We also know that Covid is much more dangerous to older people who may have comorbidities.

When this taken into consideration perhaps the official figures underestimate Sweden's achievement in keeping deaths low while maintaining relative freedom for the country compared to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have said this multiple times but its been a while so I say it again cos the discussion around Sweden shows the same 'symptoms' that I observed all along.

When looking at the arguments made over the last days and weeks I think there is no denying that we are talking about small margins. We are debating whether this or the other stat is aligned or unaligned with some other parameters or whether Sweden can be compared to neighbouring countries only or not or whether Sweden had marginally better or worse outcome then this or the other country. We are debating around small differences.

Which is sort of clouding the debate. And while I'm not saying that the lockdown advocates do this deliberately it is certainly distracting from the big picture, which is only what we should be looking at.

The big picture is that Sweden took a drastically different approach. Some continue arguing that it wasnt all that different and that Sweden had restrictions too but the fact was and is that Swedens approach was different enough so that they needed to be attacked in the media for what they did, that their officials needed to be discredited and different enough we even continue to have our own Sweden thread. This one here.

And for all that it turns out that no disaster ensued, that Sweden was all along right in the middle of the road within the EU with regards to the impact COVID had on the country and now it turns out that a decent case can be made that they are best in class after all.

So whatever small margins still exist in that debate its safe to say that the drastically harsher restrictions on civil liberties and life in general that all the other countries introduced stand in no relation whatsoever to their assumed more favourable outcome. In fact it appears there was no more favourable outcome at all.

You can debate around the edges til the cow comes. The elephant in the rooms remains right there.

Which puts a very harsh light on everything that happened elsewhere. From the way the lockdown approach was chosen to the way it was bulled through as 'without alternative' for over two years to the impact it had on many lives and in fact on how we view our countries and our political systems and media and the way we do discourse from now on. It's been very very bad and now we try to brush it under the carpet.

Advertisement