Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

A brilliant day spent at Emerald Park😁

Best day of the week by a long shot weather wise.

It is very windy but its a warm breeze so it great.

I could actually feel the difference in temperature the minute I stepped out of house this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

I could write a book about that.😏 Every year I buy loads of flowers and every year it's a labour of love trying to mind them from crappy weather. When it's really rainy and windy, as it is now, they have to be brought in. Worth the trouble with how beautiful they are when weather isn't crap and how uplifting to look out at the blooms and the colours. But they take work!

Another rotten evening here in Kerry. The day wasn't too bad, warmer but gusty and showery. Got some of the garden work done but all up in the air if it will get finished tomorrow! Like everything outdoor, it's weather dependent. A big ask when you live by the Atlantic coast and the Atlantic is firmly back in charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looks quite gusty for a time tomorrow morning especially in the south ,and west

Well I was in Manchester from Mon to Wed this week and saw no difference at all. And is Manchester not a stone throw from Leeds? Monday there was much wetter than here, but Tuesday much drier, Manchester escaped the Tuesday deluge of Ireland. But it was grey and miserable and rain constantly threatening. We're splitting hairs comparing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still a warm 19°c here in Kildare tonight

Close to 20°c now 😮

Post edited by pad199207 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I’ve seen named storms less windy than tonight. Horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I see an unofficial weather station in Naas went above 20° just a short while ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Reading 17 in Waterford and still windy. Humidity on the rise and it feels like it, not a night for sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

It's Gonzo. What do you expect. Pessimistic hyperbole as usual unfortunately.

June was one of the warmest and sunniest on record. Parts of the West had around six weeks of amazing weather. It didn't rain in Dublin for around 27 days in a row.

Post edited by compsys on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

It was still warm until 27th and even for the final 3 days of June temps were still slightly above average in most places.

Some places got a good 6 weeks of weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ooh, it's like a storm again, I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Banarol

Yeah the west got the best of it alright. Here in Mid Tipp the final week of June the rot set in and it has ended up as it is now. What I found most remarkable about June was 8 days in a row of thunderstorms

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Banarol

While Dublin and eastern counties were dry, by and large the weather was nowhere near as warm as the west apart from around 2 weeks. He is right to be pessimistic about July because it’s set to be one of the poorest in years. The set up for the next few weeks is autumnal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I don't mind a storm in winter but what's this crap for July!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gonzo said the other day that once stuck in a unsettled 07-12 pattern it’s very difficult to get out of, what’s pessimistic about that?

charts from July in those awful summers, 07 to 12 top to bottom

…… and now

remarkably similar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

6 months? Amazing weather?

Pray tell where this paradise is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Pleasant day now in Cork, feeling warm in the sun and the wind has eased off a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't know why some people think I'm being pessimistic about July when we are stuck right in the middle of a weather pattern that can stick around for a prolonged period of time which has in the past ruined entire summers. I can only say what the weather models show, look at any weather model today and it's grim stuff from start to finish. I'm not a weather expert, there are posters far more knowledgeable than me on this forum but I still like to say what I think might happen based on the weather models.

I'm not making stuff up for the fun of it, I dislike the current weather pattern as I do not enjoy unsettled Atlantic driven weather at all as it ruins our winters almost every year and can make a mess of our summers some years. I would wish for nothing more than endless days of gin blue skies and temperatures above 25c uninterrupted between now and mid September but unfortunately Ireland is not in the Mediterranean, we are exposed to the most north-western part of Europe and the first landmass that the majority of low pressures move into.

As for the first week of June this year it was mostly 14c and grey skies for a large potion of the country/population with only the odd sunny and warmer day, nothing like the sun or warmth that western coastal counties enjoyed for weeks on end. Weeks 2 and 3 of June have so far being the only nationwide spell of summer weather and even at that there was 1 or 2 rubbish days mixed in between those 2 weeks. What happened in May is nothing to do with summer as that time period is still Spring.

Not some people, it appears to be only one person and other posters were quick to defend you, Gonzo. I always appreciate your no frills weather accounts. I also adore beautiful weather, who doesn't, but am content with passable weather. However there is no way you can talk up really awful weather which is the weather we're experiencing at the moment and which is so common in Ireland unfortunately. Some people are philosophical about it and shrug it off, more are bothered by it, we all react differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

South of UK has some thunderstorms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lovely warm day with nice sunshine but a bit breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Reading over the month of June stats. Casement Dublin only had 1 dull day for the entire month. Belmullet had the most with 6. Just shows how remarkable it was.

And yes the weather hasn’t been great this July but I’ve seen a lot worse. Regional differences apply as always but over this past week Casement had above average sunshine with 108% of average so it’s been far from awful everywhere. Johnstown castle had 50% of average rainfall. Temperature have been a little below average outside of the SW.

After that June any good weather is bonus now as I don’t have high expectations. I wouldn’t join the summer is over camp but certainly the medium term isn’t promising if you’re after settled and hot conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Started off gloomy in Galway but it's very pleasant now. Breezy but warm and bright.

Hopefully nice waves for my swim later

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I have a very simple view of weather. Dry is good, wet is bad. Most of June was bone dry. It was gloriously predictable.

The June temps were actually exceptional too.

Mace Head Mean Temp was 17C (previous 4 years and LTA were 13C)

Valentia Mean Temp was 16.4C (previous 4 years and LTA were 13C)

Shannon Airport Mean Temp was 17.5C (previous 4 years and LTA were 14C)

Even the East was warmer - Phoenix Park was 15.9C (LTA = 13.5C)

Gonzo was wearing jumpers and had the heat on but we all know he lives in a micro-climate known in meteorological circles as "Utter Utter Misery" 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely day in Cork, had to put my jacket back in the car, feeling warm around the city, now for an expresso.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Literally every station (23 out of the 25) had its warmest June on record except Phoenix Park and Dublin Airport which had their warmest since 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

That was the 45mm the Norwegian Met Office had for us. Pattern very mobile and unsettled for rest of July bar gaps between lows that may bring one or two pleasant days at times.

New weather station had its top gust so far, its only 3 weeks old of 58kph. Will be interesting how high it goes once the storms of Winter hit.

Still windy and light showers here. Branches all over the place.

Advertisement