Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Re the second paragraph, I don’t know to be honest. Over the past few seasons, we have heard countless times how a game will decide this Cavan team and where they stand - Donegal last year, Westmeath last year, Armagh this year and then Down. How many chances can this panel be given? I already actually raised that point earlier this year in fact.

I’ve no doubt that next year Division 2 will start and we’ll again hear this will decide the quality of the panel.

What I prefer to look at is how other teams have developed compared to us. In 2016, we beat Galway to go into Div 1, look how far they have gone and their time in Div 1 since.

Armagh might be Div 2 now but the fact is we could beat them in 2019 yet they are now making the latter stages of the AI and had 3 years in Div 1.

Monaghan, we beat in 19 & 20, yet they are still in the upper echelons of teams compared to us.

In 2019, Derry were playing in a Div 4 final when we were in Division 1.

You have to look at the management now and wonder if 2020 has papered over the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Look at Roscommon also they were always knocking around wining Connaught titles when our U21's were winning Ulster. They haven't done much at All-Ireland level but are knocking on the door and regular enough in the last 8 giving there supporters some good days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I know you like to have a debate / arguement on here, but for once you're attempting a straw man arguement. Yes WAC has consistently promoted Cavan football, that's hardly surprising (not sure too many people are going to consistently pay a subscription to hear how the end of the world is nigh). But after the Armagh game and especially after the Down game, Paul Fitz couldn't have been more pessimistic. He said last year after the Donegal game last year that Cavan had clearly peaked in 2020 and was in decline.

I've no intention of listening over the talking points pod after the Down game as it will do nothing for my mood, but he (and I am paraphrasing) more or less said that due to the lack of a conveyor belt of underage talent our level was going to be mid-table division three for the future with no prospect of playing in the All Ireland and relishing the days when we beat the likes of Westmeath as opposed to "big scalp".

The big challenge for Cavan has been lack of underage success. Since the end of our glorious u21 run that ended in 2014, we've had one u20 final appearance. What went wrong there?

We were on a par more or less with Galway in 2016 in league but they managed two Connaught titles (2016 and 2018) in that time when league wasn't that much of a priority at a time when we weren't pulling up trees in Ulster. Yes Ulster is more competitive but Roscommon and Mayo were both going well then. But Galway also have had continued success at u20 level winning three in a row in Connaught from 2017 many of which were coming into a team with lots of players with underage success (including three all Ireland u21 titles since 2011) as well as Corofin winning four club All Irelands in six years.

Roscommon have done really well by continually churning out competitive underage teams. Before anyone says otherwise, this isn't about exonerating management from scrutiny but i don't think comparing Cavan with Galway is solely down to management teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭rrs

McDermott has Inter county experience and managed Kilmurray to the All Ireland Club final in 2010. Has won a few club titles since then in Limerick, Cavan and Meath.

Better candidate then Jason Reilly

• Advertisement

You reference Paul Fitz’s comments last year after the Donegal game. I don’t remember them to be honest but is my point not proven by the fact that he said that last year yet this year the talk again was that the two games would decide the quality?

Listen into the podcast that was out this evening. Big moment for the Cavan boards team- Paul Fitz takes on Cavan_King directly :)

Two lads who wouldn't know if it was pumped or stuffed !

Do you not mean to say Paul Fitz agrees with Cavan_King? I wish he’d stop saying people send him screenshots of on here and just admit he reads it.

Some of the excuses presented for Graham were bordering on the ridiculous. For example, that the way a team is prepared has had to change because League and championship are so close - it’s the same for every county and manager now!

I think the main issue is that the last 2-3 years has seen a huge change to counter attacking football and teams taking chances. Graham has shown himself to be too risk adverse time and time again.

Andy McEntee was ran out of Meath and in six months look at the improvements he has made in Antrim playing quick counter attacking football and actually utilising a big man in the square.

You may have to start putting the little disclaimers on the posts again.

• Advertisement

You lads must be getting jealous that it’s my posts they pick up on - shows who is raising the hard points that need to be discussed!

The rest of yas need to up your game.

Anyone hear rumours of fractions within the senior panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I half heard it, but only a quarter of the stories are true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I had heard of ructions between the gowna lads and the crosserlough lads but that was in London after the tailteann Cup game I thought it was BS at the time and never heard much after it so don't know if there is much to it

There have been rumours doing the rounds of a John Terry / Wayne Bridge type situation for a while but I didn’t pay much attention to them.

I also heard further rumours of a row in a pub in Cavan town where a player from one club suffered injury to their jaw.

I haven’t paid any of it much attention to be honest. A lot of noise.

The main thing needed is a change in management. Nothing that happens off the pitch will change my mind after what we’ve see on it.

There is definitely not a good atmosphere in there anyway even if only a quarter of it is true.

The WAC podcast will be interesting i'm surprised they haven't covered any of this so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Has to be the only time they got physical all year.

Be hard to see James Smith returning to the panel next year

I doubt they are going to discuss what are still just rumours.

In fairness, it also involves people’s private lives so not fair to discuss it.

The county team is finished now so I would imagine they’ll leave well enough alone unless there is some big news like Graham leaving.

A lot of rumours yes and i would hope that all they are but there seems to be a big issue with Crosserlough and Gowna lads not getting on which is a worry with a lot of them on the County panel.

Graham is with a club in Leitrim now aswell i really think it's time the county board said thanks and good luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

What club is graham with?

Ballinamore. He managed them before in 2014 http://www.ballinamoresoh.com/author/admin/page/31/

The whole county will be at the Div 1 League semi final next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

They won’t, according to your friend on Facebook it’s nearly sold out already. This can’t be true, can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

No not sold out. He was joking. No fixture made yet. Think neutral venues this year?

So We Are Cavan said yesterday. Apparently it’s a rule change this year.

Probably be Crosskeys for Gowna Lough as they get the big games outside of Breffni - you’d nearly swear they had a bit of pull somewhere!

It's not a great venue, better facilities for viewing a game at other clubs but the pull of county board helps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

How much longer is this useless county chairman we have going to be around for?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Personally dont know anything about him, maybe you could elaborate on why you believe he is useless. I assume he can be replaced at the agm this year if someone is proposed to run against him and gets enough votes.

I would say whoever oversees underage development in the county is the person who should be moving on, as that's been a dismal failure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Kieran O Callaghan? I don't know much about him, he doesn't have the dame media presence like some of his predecessors,what's the issue?

Martin Cahill is "head of operations" what does that position entail, does anyone know?

I've heard a fair few people calling into question what is going on with coaching in the county, Monaghan have 2 or 3 less paid GPO's than us yet they are far more competitive at under 17 and under 20 level.

Advertisement